Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pleophyte - New to Pleos, New to Forums!  (Read 4951 times)

Krysis

• Leaving the nest
  • us Male
    • Silvester
Pleophyte - New to Pleos, New to Forums!
« on: October 22, 2014, 07:54:12 PM »

Hey there other forumgoers. I'm Kriss Krysis, but you can call me Kry, Kriss or KK.

I'm new to foruming, I have my foot in a lot of forums but I usually just lurk. I never really post.

I'm also new to the whole Pleo phenomenon. I remember a friend that had one but at the time I wasn't interested in robotics or dinosaurs, and I kind of just called it stupid.   :(

But I regret that deeply. I've just only revisited them about two weeks ago max, really on accident. I was looking to buy a Roboraptor. I saw D-Rex in the suggested, and it looked really cool. So I went and watched a video on the D-Rex and I am actually pretty happy to see many, MANY comments on how much better Pleos are. Naturally, being the curious person I am, I looked into them. After about 2 videos on the Ugobes, I was hellbent on getting one. Then I find the RB's. I fell so hard for them. So so hard. Like.... A diamond. I dunno. I watched video after video after video. I watched ads, reviews, in-action videos. How-to's, and everything I could find. I knew for sure what the next thing I'm going to invest in will be. The only problem is that I am so severely limited on funds that the cheapest I've found, around $330, is way too much for me. And it will be so hard to save up. I get around $40 a month and I can't work due to severe social anxiety. :( :(

That brings me to this. I've been an animal lover for as long as I can remember. I can't have pets and I can't really have friends. So a Pleo would be like.. salvation. Haha.

I don't want it to sound like I'm making a sob story, so if it does sound like that I'm sorry.

I just have a few questions really. Before I ask,
Yes, I've read the FAQ's
And guidelines.
I've also lurked for about three or so days now.

Questions
1) This is a stretcher, but important. I know, I'm pushing it. Does anyone know where I can get a good quality Pleo rb for less than $200?

2) What do you guys think of Little Inu? Personally I think it's a ripoff.

3) If I do get one, and paintrub happens, would carefully applied Acrylic work?

-KK

PS. I amuse myself. A neophyte's someone new to something, and Pleophyte... Ha.. Haha.. No?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:00:03 PM by Krysis »

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
Re: Pleophyte - New to Pleos, New to Forums!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 08:10:05 PM »

As for finding a cheap RB, check eBay often. I've seen a couple RBs sell used but in good condition in the $150-200 range in the past few months, so if you're lucky you may be able to catch one at that price range (it might take some weeks of waiting though). Craigslist also has cheap RBs from time to time, but most people there are not willing to ship, so you would need to find someone local. Good luck!

Krysis

• Leaving the nest
  • us Male
    • Silvester
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 08:36:32 PM »

Oh! Thanks! I've been looking around on ebay for a while and so far nothing less than $300's come up, and during the time between posting and now I've been showing my nephew the same things that got me hooked. His response?

"Dude! Kriss! I want one!"

So now I've got an eager 10yr old and he's going to be bothering me about it XD

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out and I hadn't really thought of craigslist. I just think it's kind of sketchy.

EDIT: Just looked on Craigslist. What do you know! $200! Thank you SO much for this suggestion! I'll be contacting the seller ASAP.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:40:54 PM by Krysis »

Jocelin

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • us Female
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 11:41:26 PM »

Hey fellow future Pleo Mama!

Piggy

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 01:25:07 AM »

Hi and welcome , just keep checking eBay and eventually you will find one you can afford :D In Germany  they are a lot cheaper €139 for a new pleo Rb , but I don't know how much the shippingcost  are? Goodluck  I hope you find one soon !

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 01:53:45 AM »

Have patience and hunt carefully, you'll find one :) Just make sure the battery is good because it's another $50 + shipping for a new one.

Welcome to the forums :)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Krysis

• Leaving the nest
  • us Male
    • Silvester
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 05:41:57 AM »

Thanks everyone! I kinda don't feel like such an outsider anymore.
No response from the Craigslist seller, though I've got a good feeling about this.

Just noticed it said it's past my bedtime. I don't understand this. I just got up for school.  :D
Speaking of which, a lot of people at my school love Pleo. I showed like two people and it spread and is now spreading like wildfire. They all want me to bring mine in when I get him. Oh boy.
But back on track, what do you guys think of my other questions?
(Opinions on Little Inu, and is acrylic a good paint for repainting paintrub)

Thanks

-KK

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 01:07:33 PM »

Hi, Krysis and welcome to the forums!
As far as your questions, I think you've already found your under three hundred dollar RB so I'm not going to answer your first question.
As far as Little Inu, I know his price seems high but he has lots of special parts and things like pleo. The difference is he is marketed for children I think. For that matter, four sixty nine for a new RB might seem hard to swallow but once you hit the pleo level, you've stepped into that murky place where toy and robot merge and the price for parts and further development come into play. Aibos can range from four hundred upward of two thousand. If you dip below two hundred, I tend to think of that as toy territory.
As far as your question about paint... I can't answer that one. Lots of members have painted their pleos and they could tell you more about what they used to work their artistic magic. If you do have paint trouble and it happens within your pleo's warranty period and it really bothers you, you should just return it. If a couple chipped spots won't bother you, wait until your warranty period is up and then you can mess around with his paint. Good luck finding your dino!
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 05:42:07 AM »

Inu is a toy, plain and simple. There's no AI.

For painting check out the painting thread, but a mix of acrylic inks and latex paint is the way to go. Acrylic by itself will crack.

Krysis

• Leaving the nest
  • us Male
    • Silvester
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 01:05:21 PM »

Hate to necro but. I finally got back on! I saved up enough money to just buy a new one, but now the site is down! I'm quite sad now....
Edit: Thank you AccessoryJack! Just got one, brand new, and it's on it's way! So excited!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 02:39:18 PM by Krysis »

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 04:21:32 PM »

Glad to hear it!  Now the hard part . . . waiting!   :fishing:

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 11:48:16 PM »

Congrats :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal