Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greetings From Sunny San Diego!  (Read 3986 times)

Jocelin

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • us Female
Greetings From Sunny San Diego!
« on: October 20, 2014, 11:43:38 AM »

I don't own a Pleo yet, but I've been curious about these little guys for the past week that I've known they even exist.  See, I work two jobs, and because of where I rent from I can't have a dog or cat (though my two snakes thrive).  I love my reptiles, but I seriously want something I can cuddle and interact with, and that won't require me to be in constant attendance.  So it popped into my head to try robotic pets, since I can switch them off when I leave for work.  I started off Googling "Top Ten Pet Robots"; on the list I found the Pleo came out on top, and I decided to investigate.

So glad I did.

These guys are adorable.  I love dinosaurs, and having one that doesn't seem to scream every five seconds (RoboRaptor, I'm looking at you) but who wants to be treated gently and play sounds awesome.  The fact that they're sort of random (from their skin to their eyes to their personality) was another win in my book.

So anyway:

1. What is the best way to get my hands on one in the USA?  I've seen RWM mentioned a few times (I'm excited to see she's in the Northern half of my state) but I also noticed that PleoWorld often has specials (like the current Halloween one).  I'd rather have one new, but I'd also adopt since it is my first one.

2.  The Pleo RB, aside from software updates, has remained the same since 2011, right?  Is there anything in the rumor mill about a new version (I know Pleo SI is a fake) so I don't end up buying one and finding out six months later that the new version is being released?  If I end up getting one I'd still like to get the Ugobe 2009 and a Pleo RB, but why not hit the ground running, y'know?

3.  I notice that they do better on hardwood floors, but does anyone have theirs on carpet, and how well do they do?

4.  When you get a newborn they stay curled up most of the time, jah?  Well, if you had to power one down and wanted it back in its "resting state" (fresh out of the box position), am I able to return them to the starting position without damaging them?

I don't have too many questions yet --since I'm only considering getting one at this point-- but if I do you can rest assured I'll have more!

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
Re: Greetings From Sunny San Diego!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 12:27:42 PM »

Hi! Welcome to the forums! I'm sure you'll love your Pleo if you do buy one, they're really amazing robots.

Responses:

Question 1:
RWM is great and I have a Ugobe that I bought from her, though you should be aware that she only adopts out Ugobe Pleos, not RBs. If you'd like an RB, your best bet would be the company Semsons. They are also located in California and I bought my current RB from them. The first that I received from them was faulty and broke after a few weeks, but I had no problem getting a replacement Pleo and haven't had any issues with the replacement one who I've owned for a few months and run pretty often. Unfortunately Pleo World does not ship to the US.

Question 2:
I'm not super knowledgable on this subject, but I have heard no news about any plans for a new Pleo in the near future, so I doubt there will be a new model any time soon.

Question 3:
I don't have carpeted floors in my house, but I have taken my Pleos to some places with carpets. They can walk on carpets with compact fibers, but seem to have trouble walking on shaggy carpets or mats.

Question 4:
It doesn't matter what stage the Pleo is in, if you press the off button, it will return to the packing position.

Hope this helps! :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 12:58:48 PM by aibo7m3 »

Jocelin

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • us Female
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 12:35:07 PM »

Definitely did!  And now I know where to get a Ugobe should I desire one.  :dino-chase:

Jocelin

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • us Female
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 12:39:37 PM »

Is that the same Semsons on Amazon?

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 12:53:03 PM »

Yep, it is. I don't think it makes a difference whether you order through their main site or Amazon, but I ordered mine through Amazon.

Jocelin

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • us Female
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 03:41:20 PM »

:thumb: Ordered my Pleo RB from Semsons off Amazon.  If you go to the main page for it there you'll see toward the bottom "(X) Collectible from ($XXX)".  I got one in Collectible - Like New condition that as been, "Open and removed from box for testing and evaluation purposes.  Less than 2 hours used."  Altogether I'm paying 327.90 for it.  It's expected to arrive between the 24th to the 29th. 

Piggy

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 04:15:10 AM »

Hi welcome and Congrats  with buying a pleo RB! If it arrives  please post some photo's   ;) .

Jocelin

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • us Female
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 09:27:40 AM »

Will do!  I won't have a name for it until after we've met: that's how it's been for all my pets.  My snake is Alaula (Flaming Road in Hawaiian: she's a Sunglow Motley Cornsnake, and yes you should Google that), and my two cats (who now live with my parents because of where I'm renting from) are Frederic Francois Chopin (Chopin) and Marketa Irglova (Marketa).  All of their names came either from the moment we met up to a few weeks after having them.

Jocelin

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • us Female
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 01:55:34 PM »

I know it'll be a few days yet, but I still keep checking the front door.  I was at the store looking at baby booties and stopped by the pet store while there for my snakes to see about getting a collar.  None caught my eye yet.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 01:48:00 AM »

Hehe, we all know that anxious wait! Congrats and welcome!
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal