Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baxter Received a Package in the Mail  (Read 2955 times)

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
Baxter Received a Package in the Mail
« on: September 20, 2014, 01:56:04 PM »

Baxter (my Genibo SD) received a long awaited package in the mail today! His battery has had only a 25-30 minute runtime for almost a year, so I decided to get him a new battery so that he wouldn't have to spend so much time on the station and so little time playing. After a three month long process of talking with a US Genibo distributor, waiting for them to hear back from Dongbu and finally waiting for the battery to travel to them from Korea, then to me from them, Baxter's new battery is finally here.
He will likely be undergoing a simple battery replacement procedure later today, so wish us luck! I'm a bit nervous about opening up such an expensive robot, but I really just have to remove five screws and two panels, then unplug the old battery, replace it with the new one and I should be done. I'll post an update once Baxter's old battery has been replaced and let everyone know how long his new run time is.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: Baxter Received a Package in the Mail
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 04:33:00 AM »

Goodness, looks like the old icybie batteries! I was expecting something a bit... Fancier.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 11:38:22 AM »

They do look a bit like I-Cybie batteries in how they're put together (you can even see a circuit board of some sort sticking out from under the plastic wrap), but they're a lot smaller than an I-Cybie or Aibo battery. The battery seems to be a little over half the size of a Pleo battery. I don't think Dongbu put much effort into making the battery look nice since it's not that easily replaceable and the majority of owners will probably never see what their Genibo's battery looks like.
Here's a picture of the battery in relation to some other robot batteries:

(From left to right: Aibo 210, Genibo, Pleo Ucube, I-Cybie)

I tried replacing Baxter's old battery yesterday, but I couldn't get the first panel off after removing the screws, so I'm waiting for a reply from the distributor about how to remove the panels.

Piggy

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 12:05:19 PM »

Great Baxter has a new battery ! Did you figure it out to replace it yet?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal