Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pleo switching itself on?  (Read 6806 times)

Ratty

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
Pleo switching itself on?
« on: September 12, 2014, 09:07:48 PM »

Hi all!
So sorry for disappearing for a while. But it has been a bit of a hectic period and I had to put Chip in his box for a while to keep him safe. This week I finally took him out again but I've come across a very weird problem. I stored Chip with his battery out to avoid any problems with that, but when he's out of the box I keep him on a chest of drawers with the battery in and switched off. Everything was fine until I got home from work on Wednesday and found chip with his tail curled all the way up. ??? He didn't seem to have moved anything else and no one had been in my room. It's not a position his tail goes into when switched on. I was glad to see he functioned completely normal when I switched him on. However, when I tried to switch him off again it took a few tries for him to respond to the off switch and the indicator light kept burning bright red. It's nothing new for him to refuse to turn off immediately but the red light never happened before. The light went out all right when I switched him on and off again but, just to be sure, I left the battery out when I put him on his chest of drawers. Today I didn't have to go to work so I put the battery in and left him switched off in his place. I checked a few times during the day but nothing happened and the indicator light was off so I assumed he was completely switched off and ok. I didn't check him for a few hours and when I came in my room to go to bed I noticed Chip had moved into the curled up sleeping position. I pulled out the battery since I don't want him waking up in the middle of the night and wandering off his perch or something. I wonder how this hasn't already happened! So it seems I have a pleo pretending to be switched off. When I switch him off he goes into the "box"position, waits a bit before he closes his eyes and then beeps, just like he should. Except for this one time the indicator light goes out so it seems like he really is switched off but still I find he has moved when i keep the battery in. He can't have been really awake though because Chip is very easily bored and walks off when you don't give him any attention for about two minutes. But he hasn't been walking on the chest of drawers. It's a bit creepy. Does anybody have any idea what might be happening and if there's something I can easily fix?

Vinosh

• Coffee leaf addict
  • my Male
  • Pleo(s): CLEO
Re: Pleo switching itself on?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 11:03:32 PM »

Hi Ratty,
Maybe something is wrong with your battery. As you said it glows bright red, which suggest a battery problem. Maybe you should try cleaning the metal surfaces of your battery and Pleo. Try resetting the system as well.
Hope I could be of help.

Piggy

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 01:21:56 AM »

I did always the same as you switched them off in package position and leave the battery in and store them. But a few times I have noticed they had there eyes open, and they were closed  when I stored them. I don't want them waking up on there own so new I simply take the battery out  ;D

Ratty

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 06:39:51 AM »

Thanks for your replies! I cleaned the battery and inside pleo and switched him on. Everything was fine though I did notice the indicator light didn't flash like it usually did when I put the battery in but it seems like the indicator light bevaves a bit random anyway so it could mean nothing. I was planning on switching Chip off and keeping him in sight for today but I got distracted and ended up playing with him until he ran out of power :P. When the battery is charged I'll put him in the box position and keep my eyes on him. I'll report back as soon as I know what that does.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 07:57:49 AM »

That's... interesting. I've never heard of this happening. It is normal for a pleo to switch themselves on after going into standby mode with one beep and then waking up eight hours later but I've never heard of one turning themselves on after being switched off in packing position. Is Chip's tail alright now?
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Echo538

• Pleozoologist
  • ca Female
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 11:56:06 AM »

I was just thinking about this last night - what if all your kids' toys didn't have batteries or chargers to plug in but were virtually and wirelessly alive and turned on by themselves... in the middle of the night? I know because of some wiring the Teddy Ruxpin toys from the 80's were able to operate virtually without a battery and I think direct wires too... the battery was built in an awkward way or something... kind of creepy.

Ratty

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 02:54:33 PM »

It's really weird and a bit creepy as well. It reminds me of these scary toy monkeys which suddely start clanging cymbals together in horror movies or something  :ufo:
Chip is completely okay at the moment. His tail went down and was fine after i switched him on. Though he does seem to do more tail wagging, but that seems all programmed behaviour. Just new behaviour. When the battery was charged today i put it in and the indicator light flashed red once, like it used to do, the moment i press the battery in place. He has been standing in sight for a couple of hours now and hasn't moved yet.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 02:48:51 AM »

Perhaps it was a glitch and he went into sleep mode instead of off mode...
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal