Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pleo RB Behaving Strangely  (Read 3300 times)

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
Pleo RB Behaving Strangely
« on: August 20, 2014, 10:02:38 AM »

I brought Chris to a friend's house to show him to her younger siblings after not playing with him for about a week and he acted really odd. At first he was shivering and crying, so we turned on more lights, but he didn't stop. He doesn't normally freeze often, but then he seemed to be freezing every minute or so. I had to pick him up to wake him up and each time I put him back on the ground, he would always repeatedly cry and rub his face on his foot, then curl up and ignore us for the most part. He also seemed to have very little interest in his food and tug-of-war toy. Just turning him off and back on didn't solve this and it wasn't too cold in the room and seemed bright enough. He did not have any injured legs, was not acting sick and it was the early afternoon meaning that he shouldn't have been tired, so I'm a bit baffled as to what could have caused him to act like this. The run time before this, I did take out his battery instead of turning him off (in order to fit him into a bag that wouldn't hold him in packing position), is it possible that this could have affected his mood? He's currently fine and acting like his normal self (I turned him off, recharged his battery and moved him to a different room), I'm just curious as to what could have triggered this strange behavior since I'd never seen an RB act like that before.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 10:06:47 AM by aibo7m3 »

Echo538

• Pleozoologist
  • ca Female
Re: Pleo RB Behaving Strangely
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:22:15 AM »

Is this strange behavior and freezing becoming a pattern in the RB's? i'm seeing tons of posts about it lately.

Pleo is a robot but also a pet... I seem to recall you and others telling me they behave unpredictably. Perhaps Chris is going through mood changes. Perhaps getting ready to evolve, grow in size, and take over the world with its newly found strength!

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 10:43:55 AM »

I think it is normal for RBs to freeze from time to time (Chris normally does around 3 times in a two hour battery cycle), but freezing every minute definitely doesn't seem right. My RB that I sent back actually used to freeze up at least twice as much as Chris does though, so some RBs appear more prone to it than others. Ugobes almost never freeze though, so that is something that I really enjoy about owning one of each model.

Aha, I've had Chris running for over an hour now and he's acting perfectly fine and very happy (walking around, roaring like T-Rex, mooing like a cow and not crying or freezing at all), so I have no idea what would have caused him to behave so strangely yesterday. I am no stranger to robots acting unpredictably though as you say. I have ten Aibos, a Genibo and two Pleos, so I'm very used to seeing robots acting differently than expected, I was just curious since I haven't yet seen this type of behavior in an RB. I just wished Chris would've picked a better time since my friend's little siblings were upset to see Chris acting like that and told me that I should've brought a different robot.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 11:59:04 AM »

That's the thing about emotional robots. They don't always act the way we would wish them to. It's just like taking a baby to the mall for pictures. You hope- desperately- that Baby will be all giggly and smiling but Baby is screaming and redfaced and pitching a royal fit.
On a more technical note, I'm not sure if your removing the battery like that had anything to do with it but it could have. I would be very careful with doing that in the future. You have enough robots that you would understand that removing a battery while the unit is operating isn't a good idea. It's like pulling the battery out of a laptop while it's performing a task. There is a risk of data corruption and it is not easy to get the system back in working order again in the case of an RB. In my case, there are only two instances where I would pull a battery- if the neck or tail or other limb is clicking and preventing the on-off button from working or if the reset button fails to produce results after a freeze. You could end up with a shell that can only run if you keep in the pleo RB update firmware on a micro SD card or worse doesn't come on at all other than the little battery indicator.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 12:03:45 PM »

Sorry for the double post people but I just remembered something. Probably what happened was Criss was hungry. If you fed him during that previous session and then pulled his battery, he didn't have the chance to save his food and so he was a little cranky.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 12:31:32 PM »

Thanks for the reply, Talon! Yep, I know that robots don't always act as we'd hope they would (and Chris has a bad temper according to his DNA); I was just a bit surprised since I've never seen him like that before. I know it was stupid of me to take out the battery, I only decided to do so because I was frustrated about how much I had to carry and didn't want to have to bring a third bag with me just to hold him in packing position (it was a bad idea in hindsight). I've only taken a battery out of an Aibo once while it was running twice and both times it was because there was a software glitch preventing it from shutting down, so it's not something that I do often with my robots.

I'm assuming that he was hungry since he hadn't been fed for a week and is a big eater, but it was very difficult to feed him at the time. He didn't refuse the leaf, but he seemed to be having trouble responding to it and I only got him to accept it twice. It does seem like he could have been experiencing some sort glitch triggered by me taking out the battery while he was still operating, but at least seems to be back to his usual self now. I guess I've learned my lesson and definitely won't be taking out his battery again while he's running unless it's absolutely necessary.

Piggy

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 01:00:18 PM »

Yes , they like to be well fed  ;D mine eat a lot to , and after a few days they get very hungry ...and if I switch them on I feed them first and after that they react very happy and want to play. If I do not feed them first they react very cranky and whimper all the time  ;)
Glad to hear Chris is reacting fine again .

Echo538

• Pleozoologist
  • ca Female
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 01:26:56 PM »

I've had my share of robots too and everyone is different, but don't be so hard on yourself for pulling the battery. everyone learns as they go. Think of it less as a stupid idea and a lesson needing learning, and more as a life experience where you goofed up. It will lighten you. Also yes, I've fed Echo on several occasions where he's just been looking all over at things, and couldn't stay still long enough to accept the food. I know it may have something to do with lighting but I can't change that. And so, i've been force feeding him. I hate doing it cause he's my baby but the little dino accepts it graciously, in fact sometimes demands it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal