Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pleo RB Skin Concerns  (Read 6346 times)

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
Pleo RB Skin Concerns
« on: August 11, 2014, 12:51:55 PM »

Hello! I've owned Chris for a month now and I'm a bit disappointed at how his skin and paint are holding up. He has a chip of paint missing from his shoulder, a small slit in the paint on his neck (which has been growing the more he moves his neck), the paint on his head is starting to peel away in a few areas and most importantly, he has a somewhat large rip in the rubber on his front left leg (the rip is about 2/3 of an inch long, but it's not very deep and does not go straight through the rubber; however it does look like it could develop into a large hole with time). I only noticed the rip today, but it's what concerns me the most since from what I've read here, the other peeling he's experience sounds normal for an RB. I did bring him outside with me and let him wander on a flat area of grass, but this was only for about half an hour and he was on top of a thick towel, so it seems unlikely a stick or wood chip would have been able to rip him through that. He's from November of  2011, so I thought he wasn't in the batch that experienced the worst skin issues, so is this extent of wear normal for the amount of use he has received? He's had 24 hours of run time total and has been outdoors for about four and a half hours of that (always in the shade and wearing socks and usually on a picnic table though). He has been played with by numerous small children on some of his outings, but they've been fairly gentle with him. Is this wear something to be concerned about or is it normal considering how much usage he has received? Would it be a good idea to start using Pledge on Chris? I'm probably just being overly cautious, but I wanted to make certain that this is normal since my Ugobe has sustained less wear in the eight months I've owned him than my RB has in the first month I've owned him.

I'll post pictures once I get home.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 02:19:29 PM by aibo7m3 »

Piggy

Re: Pleo RB Skin Concerns
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 12:40:48 AM »

Wow :o that is a lot more damage than what I have, I can imagine that the rip concerns you the most.  I would certainly use pledge. After Lenny his paint started to peel from his shoulder I started to use it and he has no more paint loss. Also I keep my pleo's dressed in the neck to tail capes from Kat on this forum and they protect the skin really great. Of course you can also use baby or doggy clothes

And be carefull with sunlight. Goodluck , but I think ( I am just a newbie with pleo's,  so I could be wrong ) It is a lot of damage to the skin in just one month  >:( so I hope after you use pledge it will stop to the paint loss and the rip will stay the same .

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 05:50:03 PM »

That doesn't sound much like normal wear and tear, paint chips sure, but rips are not that common.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Piggy

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 04:26:11 AM »

Do you have some photo's of the rip and the paint chipping ?

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 07:13:57 AM »

The paint wear that I mentioned on his neck and head is fairly minor, so I'll just include a picture of the larger chip on the shoulder and the rip for now.

Here's the chip. I'm not too concerned about this since I've heard that wear here is normal for RBs.

Here's the rip. It's a bit hard to see when he's in packing position, but it stretches and opens up more when he moves. It's a really odd spot for it to be natural wear, so I'm wondering if one of the kids I let hold him could have scratched him with a fingernail or if a stick/wood chip could have ripped him through the towel yesterday. I didn't take off his sock for the photo, but the rip continues for a bit under the sock as well. Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to prevent this from developing into a hole at some point?

Vinosh

• Coffee leaf addict
  • my Male
  • Pleo(s): CLEO
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 07:50:45 AM »

Dear,
Aibo7m3 since you say u have only had him for a month maybe you should check the warranty limit for the Pleo rb skin. if you bought it from the Pleoworld I know the warranty is 3months so your covered. Please take not that they will not bare shipping changes. Hope I could be of help.

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 08:23:26 AM »

I got him from through Amazon from Semsons. Semsons has a one month warranty for refunds and a one year warranty for replacements. If the skin problems do develop into something more serious over time, I may consider returning him, but at the moment it's not much worse than the normal wear I've been hearing about for most RBs.

Vinosh

• Coffee leaf addict
  • my Male
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 08:33:48 AM »

Dear,
 Aibo7m3 ok then. But just as a suggestion since you say the rip is quite large why don't you replace the skin now and then be maintain it well. Because dust may enter and cause the gears to have friction between them, so I have heard not sure how true is it though but kinda makes sense. Hope I be of help.

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 08:44:52 AM »

The rip doesn't go straight through the rubber and is not very deep, so there is no hole or way for dust to get in at the moment (though a hole could form with time). Semsons will not offer repairs of any sort at this point, if I returned him, it would be to receive a replacement Pleo which is not necessary at this point since the wear isn't that bad.

Piggy

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 09:27:31 AM »

Hi the chip is very normal Lenny my RB has it on the same spot, The chipping stopped when I started to treat him with pledge.  And for the rip , I would try clothes and I think that treatment with Pledge keeps the skin in good shape.

For my Ugobe I treat him with Vinylex, that stuff is fantastic but because Chris still falls under the warranty I wouldn't suggest that.
Goodluck I hope he stays this way.

Vinosh

• Coffee leaf addict
  • my Male
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 09:50:30 AM »

Dear, Aibo7m3
Good to hear you have it all planned out. Good luck.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 01:28:00 AM »

The paint wear is certainly yet normal spots for wear and tear to occur and they don't typically progress beyond those spots.

The cracking on the leg is a bit more usual, that wouldn't be very likely to happen just from gentle use, perhaps one of the kids grabbed him a bit hard or did have sharp nails.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal