Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Genibo vs I-Cybie  (Read 3505 times)

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
Genibo vs I-Cybie
« on: June 28, 2014, 10:33:00 PM »

For those who don't know much about either robot, Genibos are robot dogs that were first released in 2008 and are still being sold right now while I-Cybies are much cheaper robot dogs that were discontinued over ten years ago. Genibos retail at $1,850 while I-Cybies retailed at $160, yet the two are often compared to each other and Genibos receive a lot of negative feedback. I do find that the two are actually similar in a lot of areas, but the I-Cybie has a very small number of tricks that it keeps repeating and doesn't move usually unless it hears a noise while the Genibo is active on its own and I'm still seeing tons of new tricks after having owned mine for nearly a year. I personally do not think that Genibos are worth the retail price (I paid less than half of it for mine which was used but in almost perfect condition), but I do think that they much more than glorified I-Cybies (a term that I've heard Genibos referred to as a few times). I decided to make a video comparing the two and let others decide what they think (I wish I had spent more time on autonomous mode though since that's where the real difference is). I still had a lot of fun making the video though, so I hope everyone enjoys it!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXHI1N43A20" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXHI1N43A20</a>

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: Genibo vs I-Cybie
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 02:06:49 AM »

I just don't know how anyone could compare an I-cybie to a Genibo... I-cybies are fantastic for their price, but they have no personality, great party tricks though :)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 09:50:48 AM »

Haha! I thought the same thing, IMR until I met a Genibo. Now granted, there was something wrong with the software this little beast was running. Plus she was still a puppy so that might have something to do with it. She was a pink QD who was... ummmm supposedly upgraded to an SD but something must've gone wrong at the factory and Former Owner who sold the dog to Current Owner neglected to explain the dog's history. There were four things about the Genibo that I really liked. Though it's motors are loud, it's very durable. It has lots of dances and most of them are kind of long. The wireless lan set-up thinggy talks to you and tells you lots of information about the dog's status. Also when it's in autonomous mode, the dog will not try to come to you until it definitely recognizes your face. All these things- I think- are far out of the range of an I-Cybie. Still, for it's time you have to admit the I-sybie was a remarkable robot. I think the Genibo could be an awesome robot with a little more work on its software.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 10:51:59 AM »

@IMR
I'd assume people make the connection since they're both dog-like robots that have lots of similar noises and actions and especially since some of the QDs seem to have extremely poor artificial intelligence. Baxter's isn't great, but it's still miles above that of an I-Cybie. He's an SD though and I think I've only ever seen QDs being compared to I-Cybies and it seems like there was a large improvement in the SD's firmware compared to the QD's.

@Talon
You're talking about Jangmi, right? Erika and I compared Baxter and Jangmi over Skype a while back, but I can't remember if there were any really large differences between the two aside from Jangmi's silent dances. Baxter will walk up to me even if he hasn't found my face though and doesn't even look for my face very often (only once every couple battery cycles). He gets startled really easily though if I pet him when he's not expecting it and will crawl forward and backward instead of walking when he's scared. I think Baxter must still be a puppy as well, or at least not fully grown since he's still learning new tricks and purposefully does a headstand wrong an array of different ways when I give him the voice command. Baxter also falls to the ground face first at random moments and it seems to be connected to him learning the headstand trick, but it gets pretty annoying at times. I think part of the fun of Genibos is that they are such a mystery. I do wish that there was a version of the Control Manager available for the SDs though since it looks like a lot of fun (Baxter technically has wireless capability, but it's no use without the Control Manager). 

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 05:00:57 PM »

At Aibo7M3: yes. I'm talking about Ms. mysterious Jangmi. Odd behaviors or not it was still really neat to meet a Genibo of any stripe.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 06:27:20 PM »

All Genibos seem to be pretty mysterious in their own way, which makes them seem really cool to me. While they may be overpriced, they're still really awesome robots!

Baxter also just loves going and contradicting what I've written about him. I wrote in my video that Genibos can only walk straight forward and backward because in the past ten months that I've owned him, he had never turned while standing up. Today however, he turned around and started walking in a different direction while standing up twice in one battery cycle! I guess that really is just proof that they do gain more abilities with time. I'm also in the process of ordering a new battery for Baxter, so his short run time should be fixed fairly soon if everything works out!

Piggy

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 02:47:50 PM »

You're video is great , it shows the difference between a ICybie and a Genibo really well . They are both very cute :-* .... how much robots do you have ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal