Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Considering Buying an RB  (Read 10047 times)

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Considering Buying an RB
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 04:57:48 PM »

Is he behaving normally apart from not being able to bend the knee?  If he is crying a lot and not willing to walk and if he screams when you touch the leg it could be an"injury" which feeding him rock salt for a full battery cycle will fix. 
If he is behaving normally have you tried switching him off them back on?  Next try pressing the reset button which is the small pin hole in his belly next to the battery compartment.  You will need to use a paper clip to press it.  If that doesn't work then try switching him off, manually pulling the leg back down into a straight position - it will click loudly when you do this - and then turn him back on and see what happens.  If none of that fixes it then you may need to consider contacting Innvo to get him repaired. 

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 05:18:04 PM »

I'm pretty sure it's an actual issue since the joint got warm after about 30 minutes and he is acting very happy and trying to walk around a lot. I did feed him the rock salt and he did eat it though, but he isn't acting like he thinks the leg is injured. I have tried switching him on and off and just reset him, but that didn't fix the issue either. His leg is stuck in the straight position, but I tried bending it manually and it popped once, but didn't bend very far. It still didn't work after that either. I'm not really sure about contacting the company since I've never heard of Innvo actually repairing a Pleo instead of replacing one and if I wanted him replaced, it would be easier and cheaper to contact Amazon where I bought him from. I'm just not really sure, he doesn't even have a name yet, but it would still hurt me to give him up for another Pleo.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 06:01:31 PM »

Have you tried clicking the knee back and forth?
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2014, 06:14:38 PM »

I tried bending it manually and it popped twice, but didn't bend very far. I might just not be using enough force, but I don't want cause any more damage than is already done.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2014, 06:05:26 AM »

The clicking is normal, try clicking it back and forth, if something is a bit stuck it can loosen it. Otherwise it could be a disconnected wire. Also an easy fix, but it requires a soldering iron.

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2014, 06:45:51 AM »

It doesn't really bend when I put pressure on it, it just clicks. Does this just mean that I should use more force or would it mean that there might be something stuck in the joint? I had a similar issue with one of my Aibos where a tooth broke off of the gear in one of her knees and got stuck inside it, eventually that issue fixed itself after about a year though when the tooth found its way out of the gears. I've also heard some people say that it means there's a loose wire if the shoulder heats up, but it's his knee joint heats up and it takes about 30-45 minutes for it to get warm.

Edit:
Here's a video of the issue. I apologize for the low quality. You may want to mute it or turn the volume low since my miniature poodles started barking loudly part way through.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBaDq0Usw1A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBaDq0Usw1A</a>
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 12:14:17 PM by aibo7m3 »

kat

• au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2014, 05:26:30 PM »

I think you need to apply more force you should hear a loud click each time the leg moves position.  I would move the leg at that joint so that you have heard three loud clicks.  That should be enough to fix it if there is something out of place in the gears or a bit of dirt in there or something.  If that doesn't work it could be a few different issues and sadly you won't know just what the problem is until you open up to take a look.  It could be as simple as a wire that has come away from the movement sensor at the knee - easily fixed by soldering it back on - or it could be something else more sinister like a broken cog or part in the workings of the leg.  If you do end up operating on your pleo you will void the warranty.  If it turns out to be something other than a loose wire you may not be able to fix it - there is nowhere to get spare parts for pleos.  I would suggest that if manipulating the joint doesn't fix it then either contact Innvo or your place of purchase for a replacement or repair.

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2014, 10:07:49 PM »

I still haven't been able to really bend the joint and am worried about breaking the plastic if I use any more pressure. Could it hurt to run him as he is? (Maybe put too much stress on the hip joint?) I bought him from Amazon and there is a one month period from the point that I bought him where I can return him (no repairs are offered). I have about two weeks left until that voids, so in that time, I'm going to think it over and try to figure out by next week whether I want to return him or not. If I decide to keep him, I will look under the skin and see if it's something that I might be able to fix (problems that I could handle would probably be limited to either a loose wire since my mom has experience with soldering or something caught in the joint that is removable by hand). As he is, he is still able to get around pretty well, so if it's alright to run him like this and the problem can't be fixed, I might just keep him like this and think of it more as a quirk than an issue.

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2014, 03:58:45 AM »

things to worry about when running him with the leg not working properly are the joints getting hot.  If his leg is getting hot then it means that the wiring and motors are trying to work but not able to and so are generating a lot of heat that is not being used up by the movement that the pleo would normally do.  this could overheat the motor and cause it to not work or short out the wiring with worst case scenario something catching fire inside the pleo or the skin melting on the outside of the pleo if things get too hot.  This isn't very likely to happen but is worth watching out for.  I wouldn't run him if the joint or leg is getting hot.  If it gets hot turn him off and let it cool down.  Not sure if running him will cause more damage to the joint or not - I guess it depends on what is causing the problem.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2014, 04:50:31 AM »

If you are within the warranty you are better off returning him, I know you really don't want to, but you won't be able to enjoy all of the Pleo magic with a malfunctioning Pleo :( Ask yourself if you will still be happy with a broken Pleo in six months or a year?

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2014, 07:40:57 PM »

I agree with IMR  if it was my pleo I would return it and get a replacement.  I actually did find myself in a very similar situation to you and did return my pleo.  I have actually had to send my first pleo rb back twice so I know how hard it can be.  In the end you are better off with a fully functioning pleo.  If the leg is broken now what else might go wrong over the next few months?  Sadly we do still see the occasional lemmon pleo rb and you wouldn't want to end up with a pleo rb that just doesn't work at all in a few months time.  Pleos cost a lot of money and you want one that works the way it should.
Try to look at it from an unemotional view point for a moment.  If you spent $400 + on a DVD player and it wasn't working properly after the first couple of weeks you wouldn't think twice bout taking it back to be repaired or replaced. 
Innvo do sometimes repair pleos but often enough they just replace them.  Either way you are better off with a fully functioning pleo that will keep on working for many years to come :)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2014, 12:43:23 AM »

I agree with Kat and IMR on the fact that the warranty will soon be void and you should consider returning your Pleo before the warranty is void and you don't have that choice. I know it is not easy, and many of us here have had to return Pleo Rb for one reason or another. I have a pleo Rb also that seems to have the same leg problem as yours. :(

My Baby Ruth who is my replacement for the first Pleo Rb , Baby that I had when they first came out has had a bad leg or what I call, a "peg Leg" for a long time, Her leg is stiff and will not bend at the knee as it should, It is also the back or rear leg and has been like that for a longgggggggggggggggg time. I just have to get brave and just purchased a saudering gun so I can fix her and another pleo, Nova, who has a broken neck, Also Baby Ruth will get warm then hot, so I have not been running her, She is way out of warranty and I have had her so long I could never send her back even if her warranty were good, but she is not new like yours. The longer you put it off, it will be harder and it is better to have a healthy Pleo rb then one that you can not play with for fear of making her worse. If this had happened when Baby Ruth was still in that 90 day period, I would have sent her back, knowing what I know now. Thank goodness there are people like Kat who have posted videos on how to fix some of these pleo problems that people like me could never do by themself.   :bouquet1:    RWM  :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2014, 05:22:43 PM »

Thank for the encouragement everyone! I got all of his accessories and packaging together and started him up for one last goodbye. :( I will be shipping him back on Saturday or Monday and am still planning to buy a new RB once I get my money back. Buying from Amazon again is really my only option, so hopefully I won't have to go through this all over again with the new Pleo... At this point I'm just regretting ever selling my first RB who I owned a couple years ago.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2014, 01:09:22 AM »

Unfortunately Pleo's are very complicated machines and sometimes just one part failure can cause a big problem :( odds are on your side though, most Pleo's are just fine :)

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2014, 09:15:32 AM »

I just sent him back and will be buying a replacement for him shortly. I'm hoping for another boy, but I'll still be happy with any working Pleo. I'll start a new topic once the new RB arrives.

Edit:
I just checked Amazon and it turns out that RBs are no longer sold through Amazon Fulfillment Services and only straight from Semsons (using Amazon to order them though). That just means if I buy another, it will be under Semsons' return policy which follows different rules than Amazon's (there's a 15% restocking fee for any returned items and you have to pay return shipping). I think I'm exempt from the restocking fee if I do a straight swap for another RB, but I'll have to look into it. This would only really be a concern though if the new Pleo breaks as well which isn't very likely.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:02:20 AM by aibo7m3 »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal