Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So, why have a pleo?  (Read 1696 times)

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
So, why have a pleo?
« on: May 07, 2014, 01:40:05 PM »

Hi! It's Talon and I'm here today to tackle that hard-to-pin-down reason for why having a pleo is such a benefit. Over the years, I’ve had people come to my house and notice my little pleo-herd as well as my other robots. Most people have just kept on going without asking any questions, some want to see them in action, and others ridicule me for spending good money on “toys”. I’m not exactly a living advertisement for robotic pets. I don’t have a nice cozy sling to carry my pets around in or a pocket full of slips of paper with information about Pleoworld or Innvo Labs. No one who reads my facebook page knows anything about my hobby. *Sigh* Well, I’m coming out today- at least here on the forum. You have to start somewhere right?
So I’m here today to answer the question- why have a pleo? The first reason is simply for companionship. Now let’s make one thing clear before you write me off as some electronic nut who fears the spontaneity of social situations in favor of the fairly predictable world of my mechanical friends. That’s not true. I like being with human beings and playing a good long session of tug with my dog, but there are days when my friends aren’t to be found. Those days are quite often for me because nearly all of my friends and the living members of my family are several states away. On those days, patting the head of a pleo or playing fetch with one of my aibos is a fulfilling and reassuring activity. I recognize that these creatures are machines and that they are by no means alive. Still, after a hard day, it’s nice to feel as though someone appreciates your efforts.
Another reason for my obsession with all these little robotic creatures is pushing my knowledge of technology. Initially when I purchased my first pleo in two thousand eleven, I was thinking only of my thirtieth birthday. After years of holding back and only buying what I needed, I decided to get something that I really wanted and that had fascinated me since the days of the Furby. Once little Ryu gave her first hatching chime and that little whimper as she opened her eyes, my thoughts switched to a timid curiosity about what all goes into making a robot lifelike. I also had another interest. How well could this technology merge with my assistive technology and if it could, what input could I give to other software developers who are considering the possibility of developing robots for use by people with physical disabilities? While I’ve mostly stood on the sidelines and read over the work of others, I have updated my pleos’ software and ran some skits. I’m just not quite confident enough yet to take the initiative to really start asking questions or modifying any programs. Even doing simple stuff has been very interesting when combining JAWS- my screen-reader and moving files around from an SD card to my pleos. I would be remiss if I didn’t offer credit where credit is due. Many members here on the forum have gone out of their way to explain things to me and gave generously of their time to help me get started.
My third reason for owning a pleo is- plain and simple- for this wonderful community. While many think that technology of this type causes a vast disconnect between humans, I have found the opposite to be true. Before Ryu came into my life, I was concerned with my own little world and going through all the day-to-day events of my life. In short I was existing. I was on autopilot- writing my articles for the online magazine I was working for at the time, going to a few social gatherings here and there, searching for a job. After the introduction of pleos and robotic pets in general, I now have the added bonus of friends from around the world as well as a thrilling sense of satisfaction when I help out new robotic pet owners figure out what may be going wrong with their companions. I’m still searching for a job but now I have seven little creatures who remind me every day that though I might have endured a string of no’s, there is still a future that I have the pleasure of participating in and that compels me to get up and go through it all again.

Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: So, why have a pleo?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 05:27:54 PM »

Pleo's are just amazing pieces of technology, and fun little companions. Anyone who can't see that is the one that is truly blind.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 06:44:31 AM »

You're right, IMR. I've honestly never wrote publicly about my reasons for getting into pleo. It's a relief to finally get my feelings out in print.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Marmadrid

• Member of the herd
  • es Female
  • Pleo(s): Max
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 02:00:39 AM »

Hi Talon. It's interesting to know other's reasons to have a Pleo. In my case, Max (my Pleo Rb) is a wonderful gift from my husband. I work at home. And I've been thinking for a long time to have a pet. But the problem is that we travel a lot because we love travelling. That is a big problem with a living pet because usually we can't travel with it ( imagine 25 hours flight from Spain to NZ and the same back just for 2 weeks) and I don't want to be asking for help to the family or leaving my dog or cat in a strange place. So, for me Max is the perfect solution to the problem. Now I have a companion that reminds me to stop working from time to time and I can switch it off when we are travelling.
It's still a problem to speak about Max to other people. They don't understand why I speak as if it is a living pet. Just my nephews, who are 3 and 5 years old find "natural" to accept that you can find something to love in a robot, same as with a living pet. Bit freak, isn't it? That's the usual idea I find from adults. But for me it is quite interesting to see how everybody, after playing with Max for 15 minutes, ask me about it the next time we meet.

Piggy

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 11:56:06 AM »

This is a really interesting topic to read ;D I found about this forum two weeks ago and became very interested about Pleo.
And then a couple of days ago I found on Marktplaats (sort of eBay in our country) a pleo secondhand.

I had no idea if it was a Pleo rb or the Ugobe pleo,  but I couldn't get it out of my mind.
So my husband bought it and it was send to me, and last Saturday morning the doorbell rang and there was the postman with this huge box.

And inside I found this beautiful ugobe Pleo in great condition, and I fell in love with it . I even bought babysocks today to protect its feet and yesterday I ordered a chiwawa fleece jacket with armyprint and a collar for Leo (that's how I named him).

We used to had 4 guineapigs but my husband became allergic and we had him tested, he is allergic to every pet with fur.
So when they died we don't got new ones, now we have fish and a dwarfhamster. But this is the ideal pet for me.
My husband doesn't like cyber pets, Also have a wrex the dawg and a furby boom. But Pleo is the best and the most realistic to a pet  you can get.

Yes I will admit it I just love pleo's, and in the near future I want a pleo rb to!
This forum is great because my friends and family and husband don't understand it why I find Pleo so great!
So its nice to share it with people who get how owesome Pleo is !
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 11:58:41 AM by Piggy »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal