Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My battery idea  (Read 4201 times)

DinoBot

• Sugar cane harvester
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): gustav (ugobe)
  • I love pleos
    • Charlie_Brown
My battery idea
« on: March 28, 2014, 09:44:18 AM »

Hi everyone. I have an idea for a battery but I do not know how hard it would be to make. The idea is basically a collar connected to a rope. Tangled up in the rope (which would be a leash basically) would be a wire which would connect to where the pleo battery would be. I am not sure if this is possible or not but please let me know!

Dinobot and my new pleo

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
Re: My battery idea
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 10:15:56 AM »

I'm not so sure this would be a good idea. It would turn the pleo into a toy with limited freedom. The robot is marketed as a "robotic Life form". The unit is supposed to be like a real creature rather than a toy. Of course your leash would have to come out of the robot somewhere- let's say the back for example-. The end design would reach back to those remote controlled cars and toys from the eighties with the wire trailing from the power source to the unit. Also, you'd have the added risk of careless owners who might want their pleo to walk faster or something who might drag the robot along by this leash. Constant pulling on that leash would gradually mess up the wiring and then you'd have spiratic connection and then total battery failure. Mind, this is only my opinion but I don't think it would work so well.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

DinoBot

• Sugar cane harvester
  • us Male
  • I love pleos
    • Charlie_Brown
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 10:19:45 AM »

Yeah your probably right. However, it would be connected to the wall so people could not drag pleo and it would enter into the pleo by the battery compartment.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 10:34:24 AM »

Oh! So you're looking for a better battery-charging design so you could continue to run the pleo while it's charging? I'm sorry. I guess I jumped to conclusions there.
Well, I'm still not sure how this would work because the unit might do all the pulling itself or else get the wire tangled around something. Pleos are creative little beasts. Anyway if you're looking for a way to continue to use the unit while charging, why not some sort of docking station? Yes, it would take a little more design work on Innvo Labs' part but it would be safer for everybody than this long wire being in the way. I thought of a docking station several years ago that would sort of look like a hollowed out rock that's open at both ends so the unit wouldn't have to turn to enter or exit. Once the bot walked inside, there would be this little... ummm tree or protrusion or something that it could press its chest into. This is the point of contact between the battery and the pleo. It could stay booted up so the owner could continue to interact with it and when the pleo is done, the little contact thinggy could descend down into the charger and the pleo could just walk out the other open end. Sadly no one has taken me seriously. Lol! We have a thread somewhere about possible pleo dream features and this sort of docking station idea is in there. Let's see what everyone else thinks about this.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

DinoBot

• Sugar cane harvester
  • us Male
  • I love pleos
    • Charlie_Brown
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 10:44:32 AM »

Talon that sounds like an awesome idea! But the biggest fault about it is that pleo would have to know when it was on low charge and know where the charging station was. I like my idea because it would just look like pleo was on a leash that was connected to the wall. But I do not know how I would get the power into pleo. I am also worried (since I got my pleo yesterday) it might harm the little guy  :( . I think that it is possible that taking of the top of the battery and putting a strong metal wire around it than connecting that to the wire might work. Thank you for your input talon  :).

Dinobot

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 10:54:08 AM »

I think there was an Italian seller on eBay a couple of years back that had adapted a battery pack to run from the mains electricity.  No idea how they made it work, I'm afraid, but I do remember seeing it.

DinoBot

• Sugar cane harvester
  • us Male
  • I love pleos
    • Charlie_Brown
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 11:47:39 AM »

If only they were selling it in the U.S :( . I have a battery that does not really work so I will probably try it out on that.

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 01:15:16 PM »

Ugobe made "display model" pleos for stores to use.  There were two types.  One (which somebody on the forums reported buying months and months ago) had a wire that connected to the battery terminals inside the pleo and ran out of one of the back legs to a transformer that supplied the power.  The other type which if you have a dead battery should be pretty easy to make, simply again had a transformer that plugged in to provide the power and a set of wires that ran into the top of an empty battery case with the two wires soldered to the terminals on the battery.

So all you really need to do is find the right power source (DC 7.2v with a reasonable wattage (probably around 1.5A)  and then find some way to remove the dead batteries and run the wires into it without destroying the shape.  That way you can just plug it in like a battery.

Now on the store display pleos, they ran the POP OS which doesn't allow the pleo to walk . . . it just stands there.  That way there was no concern about the wire getting tangled or pulling.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal