Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pledge alternative?  (Read 4835 times)

Nemesis

• Head of the herd
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Pluto the ugobe!
  • Chomp chomp chomp...
    • Daffy_Duck
Pledge alternative?
« on: March 26, 2014, 06:33:50 PM »

So I really want to start conditioning Pluto's skin as it's starting to look a bit taught... But I can't find anywhere in Australia selling pledge extra moisturising polish! Has anyone found something else that has served as a good alternative?  :dino-chase: I don't want him to be rubbing skin off!

Miqguel

• Pleo explorer
  • es Male
  • Pleo(s): The name of my Pleo is KAWKI!
  • I love Pleos and Lovebirds!
    • Professor
    • Bugs_Bunny
    • Kermit
    • Snoopy
Re: Pledge alternative?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 06:59:05 PM »

I always clean my pleo with the same clean product that is used to clean the wood furniture. You'll see that it contains bee wax and you can buy this product in any store because it is esentially for the house cleaning ;). The result is very satisfactory and the pleo's skin will be very slippery (but this doesn't mean that pleo's skin will be wet) :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 07:08:16 PM by Miqguel »

Teddscau

• Pleo explorer
  • ca Female
  • Pleo(s): Chloe, my green, white-eyed RB
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 07:48:13 PM »

Autoglim (Autoglym?) has been used by several members with good results, and many use Vinylex.

Nemesis

• Head of the herd
  • gb Female
  • Chomp chomp chomp...
    • Daffy_Duck
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 08:31:11 PM »

Thanks guys! :) I will have to try this out, it was like 47 dollars to order from the US without postage!

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 12:18:55 AM »

My Pleo's have gone years with just a damp cloth.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Nemesis

• Head of the herd
  • gb Female
  • Chomp chomp chomp...
    • Daffy_Duck
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 12:59:51 AM »

Even the ugobes IMR? Pluto was in the sleeping position as he ran out of charge and his tail skin has damaged a little from just that! I'd feel happier if he were an RB as Lumpy never seemed to ever have any problems, but ugobes skin feels so fragile :/

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 04:06:57 AM »

Yup, Stitch has some cracks in his neck, but no holes. And Lilo has a small hole in each armpit and surgery scars :P But those are in high strain areas. The rest of their skin is just fine.

Ironically Lilo's holes first appeared after trying the only pledge I could find here. It was for wood if I recall correctly.

However it does depend what part of Australia you live in I reckon, I live in cooler Gippsland, Kat lives in sunny Perth. So in the dryer climate I would think Autoglym or similar would help more. Also my Pleo's are all stored in their boxes when not in use. So they have less exposure to light and temperature fluctuations.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Nemesis

• Head of the herd
  • gb Female
  • Chomp chomp chomp...
    • Daffy_Duck
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 02:35:19 PM »

Ah okay, that makes sense. I don't have a proper pleo box for Pluto as he was second hand and the woman threw the box away but I have a make shift one I could store him in. We are in sunny/rainy Sydney :)

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 04:55:35 PM »

From the multitude of reports over the years, the main causes for deteriorating the skin are UV light (e.g. sunlight, full-spectrum fluorescent), arid conditions, and temperature extremes (hot and cold).  And the main cause of tears is skin left stretched or taut for extended periods.

As IMR said, depending on where you live makes a difference on what you need to do.  For cleaning a damp cloth is all you need.  Products like Pledge are supposed to help keep the skin from drying out.  Products like Autoglym and Vinylex are specifically designed for protecting vinyl, rubber, and latex materials and add UV protection.

Storing pleos in their box blocks the damaging UV, and to put the pleo in the box it has to be in the packing position which is the position that causes the least amount of stretch.  beyond that, depending on your climate, you still may benefit from something to help keep the skin moisturized. 

None of these provide any real help on preventing wear.

Nemesis

• Head of the herd
  • gb Female
  • Chomp chomp chomp...
    • Daffy_Duck
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 08:07:28 PM »

Thank you, everyone! I will look into getting something to keep the skin from drying out, and take your damp cloth advice! :)

Piggy

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 11:29:23 AM »

I am getting my bottle of Autoglym tomorrow , so I certainly will try it out , for moisturizer I use a rubbercare product , when my secondhand Pleo Ugebo arrived it skin was a bit dried out but in perfect condition with no tears or holes . So I used a rubber care product on it and new its skin became nice en supple again . 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal