Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pleo Reskin  (Read 3657 times)

bunniesRawesome

• Head of the herd
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Lucy & Buster
    • Professor
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Gonzo
    • Snoopy
Pleo Reskin
« on: March 13, 2014, 03:59:19 PM »

I've been constantly re-painting Lucy but even after all the hard work, the paint doesn't seem to last for more than a month so I'm going to try and make my own "skin". I'm currently making a pattern but I'm not sure on what material I should use for the final product. A stretchy rubber would be ideal, but I'm not sure where I would buy something like that. I can't find a rubber that's stretchy enough and sold in sheets. I'm thinking about making it out of spandex just to start off, but I'm not sure yet. Any ideas?

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Pleo Reskin
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 05:51:10 PM »

I am planing on haing a go at making a pleo skin at some point.  I was thinking of using stretch velvet.  This is what I use to make pleo clothes from and it is quite stretchy and it has that lovely soft feel to it.  Great for patting a pleo.  The stretch velvet I use is a type of spandex  So I think that would probably work quite well.  Keep us posted with how you go.  step by step photos along the way would be great to see.  :)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 08:03:31 PM »

Just curious what paints you have used so far as several of us who have painted our Pleos have paint that has lasted quite awhile.( Rossella was painted almost two years ago exactly and is still 98% the same as when I painted her with a mixture of acrylics, inks, dry powder pigments and mold mix) I do like the idea of a synthetic skin though. ;)

I have thought of Pleo skin a couple of years ago, but only hard substances have come to mind. I may give it another go just for experimentation and curiosity.
 Good luck and be sure to post photos.                            RWM  :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

bunniesRawesome

• Head of the herd
  • us Female
    • Professor
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Gonzo
    • Snoopy
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 05:03:17 AM »

I used regular old acrylics to touch up Lucy's head and back (as that's where most of the damage is) The back is pretty much fine because I keep a sweater on her, but her head always chips really fast. I'm probably going to Joanns on the weekend, so I'll see if I can find some stretch velvet or similar material.

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 03:38:17 PM »

I am going to try making a mold and use liquid mold making materials and the only problem is finding an old pleo to use as the mold, I do not want to use a Pleo with gReat skin or one I am attached too. Perhaps one that is not so great will be the donor Prototype. I will experiment first till I have the technique down for the mold and if it works well with smaller items, then I will try a pleo. I figure it will be fun anyway!

Watched a great video last night on how to do it and will be odering some materials if I can't find them locally, about $30.00 worth of "skin", to start with.. :moose: Wish me luck.............RWM  :cat-hug:

Good luck Bunniesrawesome.  :cool:

bunniesRawesome

• Head of the herd
  • us Female
    • Professor
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Gonzo
    • Snoopy
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 04:59:27 PM »

I might end up painting her one more time before I get too invested in the skin just to try out some new paints. Do you guys think I would be able to cover it with a thin layer of liquitex or some other resin to keep it from shedding? Or would something like that be too thick?

bunniesRawesome

• Head of the herd
  • us Female
    • Professor
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Gonzo
    • Snoopy
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 08:17:12 AM »

So this is essentially what happens when I paint her, the back and the head are for the most part fine (especially since I put the liquitex on this time), but the tail and neck paint immediately ripped off once she started moving. Is there anyway I can prevent this? Or should I just go ahead and start building the skin.

(Also I'm not entirely sure how to post photos on the forum so I hope this actually shows up)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 03:25:38 PM »

You need a flexible paint, that's why. Stitch has been sporting a acrylic ink, latex paint blend for almost two years now with minimal wear.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 06:21:57 PM »

IMR is correct, paint needs to be flexible with movement esp the neck and tail. If the paint fails in those area you can bet it will flake off in other areas as well. Have you read any of the old painting Ugobes posts that show how we painted and gives "recipes"? If not then I suggest reading it to see what we all used. Experiment first on a small area such as a foot or under the belly, then if you are happy with it, try the whole Pleo or touchups.

Rossella was one of the first Pleos painted and after two years she still has the same paint. It can be done so do not give up.
  I was wrong, Rossella in this photo is JUNE of 2011, so that is almost THREE Years and she was not the FIRST one I did.       RWM  :cat-hug:

Here is a more recent one done February makes two years ago, Sunny the Ugobe.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 06:27:16 PM by RedwoodsMama »

bunniesRawesome

• Head of the herd
  • us Female
    • Professor
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Gonzo
    • Snoopy
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 08:27:12 AM »

Before I go to the store and buy latex paint, do you guys think oil paint would be flexible enough?

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 02:24:25 PM »

My experience is oils do not work well alone, but a mix of Oils with acrylics or inks may if you do it in the right mix, Trial and error is the only way to find out, Always test a small place. It has to be thin enough to show the texture also, I mainly use Acrylics, liquid mold and inks with some powder pigments. I experiment and have used the wrong amounts several times and had to take the whole thing off, Be sure to test , I can't stress this enough but I have never used oils alone. not flexible enough.              RWM  :cat-hug:

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 02:43:04 PM »

Oil paint is too thick and not flexible.

Latex alone is not durable.

It needs to be a blend, mostly latex for flexibility, but with a bit of ink for durability.

Be careful which latex paint you buy too, some are thick, too thick.

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 04:56:06 PM »

I have done well with a combination of latex paints and water based acrylic paints.   :alien03:

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 07:46:53 PM »

I have used oil paints but with a lot of laytex and inks, very limited oil paint, mostly for lines or tones, not full body painting and as IMR and Kat have said, it has to be watered or thinned down with other mediums. Always test before doing a bigger area.           RWM  :cat-hug:

DinoBot

• Sugar cane harvester
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): gustav (ugobe)
  • I love pleos
    • Charlie_Brown
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 09:42:56 PM »

do you have to be good at painting to paint pleo? gonna get a ugobe soon and i know that their paint wears of easily so wondering if (in the future) it will be a challenge. thanks
                                        dinobot

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 12:55:21 AM »

How hard it is depends entirely upon the design you choose :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal