Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tutorial: How to set the forum time  (Read 6507 times)

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
Tutorial: How to set the forum time
« on: February 05, 2014, 07:53:02 PM »

Ever notice when you visit the forums late at night, or first thing in the morning, that the calendar is showing the wrong date?  Or when you post messages it shows the wrong time?  One of the wonderful things about this forum is we have members visiting constantly from all over the world.  But that means when you post a message at lunch, it's late evening and some members are headed to bed, while others are just getting up and having their morning cup of coffee.  And while this will probably never be an issue for you using the forum, it can affect your enjoyment of the forum, as there are a number of features that use the current time to determine what to display . . .

The server our forum uses is located in the United States, at is set to Mountain Standard Time (MST).  So if you're sipping your coffee at 6:30am on a Thursday morning in England, the forum server still thinks it's late Wednesday night, which means the calendar on the home page is a day off . . .  And it won't be until after dinner Thursday night for those in Australia before the calendar thinks it's midnight Wednesday night.  But the solution is simple.  The forum is set up to automatically adjust the time to match YOUR timezone!  But you have to set it . . .

The first step is to look at the bottom of the calendar block on the home page.  The last line shows what the forum *thinks* the time is where you are at.  If the time is correct, you're all set.  You don't need to do anything.  If it's wrong, here's what you do:

1. Click on the "My Profile" button on the menu bar at the top.

2. When the page loads, look at the menus on the far left.  Under the "Modify Profile" section, click on "Look and Layout Preferences".

3. The second item down on this page is the Time Offset.  It lists the current server time as a reference.  Click on the "(auto detect)" and it should put the correct number in the field.  This is the number of hours needed to be added (or subtracted) from the server time to match your current time.  If it doesn't, you can manually adjust the number to the correct amount.

4. Click on the "Change Profile" button at the bottom to save your change.

Now the calendar and all other time and date related items should match your local time!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:23:30 AM by grumpy »

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
Re: How to set the forum time
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 03:32:30 AM »

Ah!  That's how you do it!  :moose:

I always reckoned Weedovia had a time zone all of its own!  :P

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 05:44:28 AM »

I quite like having my bob the pleo time zone :)  It helps me keep track of where everyone might be in the rest of the world.  We are so ahead over here that sometimes it's nice to be able to go back a day for a little while  :P

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 07:25:00 AM »

Just be careful you don't get a reputation for being behind the times! ;)

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 09:24:47 AM »

Yay! I've always wondered how to do this.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal