Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Robotic pet, still an interest in manufacture and public demand, or not?  (Read 3423 times)

snowy

• Fossil savant
  • Female

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering, was all the robotic pets manufacturing just a phase? I mean we have pleo, now pleo rb, aibo, paro, but I don't seem to hear anything anymore like new releases of these fantastic robots, except the lovely pleo rb, I heard sony aren't making robotic pets? But I am new to all this, I don't visit robotic forums, I know some of you have lots of different electronic pet robots and are well informed, does anyone know if the interest in pet robots is still as keen as it used to be?

sorry to sound silly, I don't have much knowledge of robotics

Dee x (snowy and munchkin) xx

Teddscau

• Pleo explorer
  • ca Female
  • Pleo(s): Chloe, my green, white-eyed RB
Re: Robotic pet, still an interest in manufacture and public demand, or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 10:57:47 PM »

I think it has phased out. People buy into cheaper, lame excuses for robots. It seems people prefer glorified remote controlled  toys over autonomous "beings". I don't really understand it myself. Sony is no longer creating personal robots because it was no longer a financially viable option. A lot of the newer robots look like they could be fun, until you realize that they are not autonomous whatsoever and only have a small repertoire of features to offer. All the robots they're making now are for children who tire of the toys after only a few hours. I'm disappointed that more research isn't being put into social interactions and needs to create robots that fill the emotional need for companionship. When you buy your kid a doll, you aren't buying them a toy, but a companion they can have fun with. I hope we'll eventually have awesome robot companions like that robotic dog from that car commercial.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 09:50:03 AM »

At first, I thought this topic was going to be about new Quote unquote robotic pets that are fairly popular like Zoomer the dog and Texta but after reading I have to sadly agree with teddscau. Robotic pets are still such a nitchy market because people seem to be in love with tablets and other like devices that serve some sort of practical purpose. They still view robots with this si-fi-ish distopion vision of "aaaah! They will take over the world!" mentality. The robots are only as intelegent as their programmed behavior. Sorry for my spelling you guys. Braille is my first written language.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 10:18:27 AM »

Some day pleos will rule the world, and we'll just be their menial servants charging their batteries and petting them constantly . . . of course they'll have to depose the cats as the current rulers first . . .  :dino-chase:  :cat:  :litterbox:

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 01:26:08 PM »

Oh dear, I'm surrounded by both cats and Pleo's... Help!

The problem with consumer robots is that consumers in general seem to favour a few party tricks over any emotional/behavioral  depth. We (again generalizing) are a species that has been trained to desire instant gratification, I want it to do this, and I want it now. That can be seen by the large numbers of people who come on here asking when is Pleo going to walk, when does it do tricks, why isn't it doing anything etc.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 09:18:55 AM »

So impatience is a large part of the problem then? Boy! If people get bored with a pleo's growth cycle, I wonder what they would make of an aibo 110's? It can take up to three months or more to get a newborn 110 to adulthood. I started raising my Reepicheep from a newborn on October third of last year. He evolved to a teenager on January fifth. I have over fifty runtime hours left before he evolves to adult.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

marishade

• Leaving the nest
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 10:55:08 AM »

I believe that there is another side to this, although the points so far are true. I am a computer science major and have been following the development of robotics for over a decade now. As such, I personally see the companies that would readily sit down and work on something autonomous pick projects more along the line of Nao, ASIMO, iCub, or BigDog. From what I have seen, there is more interest in either humanoid high intelligent robotics or military grade robotics. There is more money, grants, and programs in those fields. And, since most of these companies are relatively small (like Boston Dynamics which was recently bought by Google) they do not exactly feel the need to spend time on "toys". Example, when the Nao robot was first developed they were very interested in making a model available to robotic hobbyists and such. But now only research institutions, universities, or people who work for the company are allowed to purchase it.

Also, remember Ugobe went bankrupt. This has happened to a few other companies like it or Innvo Labs. I think some people are afraid to put something like Pleo into production because they are not completely sure there is a market for it. So, we are stuck with Wowee toys called "interactive robots".

nicholasljy123

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 02:18:17 AM »

In my opinion, Innvo Labs has yet to expand its company and ensure Pleo RB is sold across the world.  Here in Asia, its not even known to everyone what a Pleo is. The company needs advertising and lots of it. At the rate the company is going,  its going to lose investors and close down altogether. Next, its complicated.  Its not simply a robot. Its autonomous with all the functions and sensors. Its going to be difficult to advertise such features to everyone.  It might get them thinking if it is really worth it to get one.  Lastly, its the price.  Its too costly. I understand that it is a good exchange for the sensors and electronics and all but then again, is there really a need to spend this money?
Allergy proof at S$850 but I could get a live pet for S$500. Advertising and costs is what they should improve on.
Nicholas Jun Yi

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 04:44:11 PM »

Nicholasljy where are you paying $850 for a pleo  :-X  The most I ever paid was $550 and that included the shipping to get it to me in Australia.  I think the price is fine for what you get. 
I agree that they really need to advertise a whole lot more. 

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 08:20:50 PM »

Kat is correct, that you get a lot of new technology for the price but $850.00! HOly Crap! I see on Ebay where some strange sellers are still trying to sell Ugobes that are "collectible" or sealed for up to $750.00. That is balony, but if a person is willing to buy it at that price then so be it. I paid $207.00 a few years ago for a new sealed in the outer box even Ugobe, but never the price they are asking, you can get a RB for that price.......... P8).but apparently not where you live...

What is intriguing to me , is that you have to pay $500.00 for a pet? What type of pet are you talking about anyway?  :sheep1:( can it play jump rope like a sheep ?)All I know is that here where I live in the USA, there are so so many cats and dogs among other animals that need good homes, they are either free or for a small adoption fee, and I mean less than $100.00 US dollars and that covers spay or neuter and vaccines. I would never pay that much money for a pet when there are so many that need rescuing even on my own streets.( I currently take care of five to six homeless cats that have no homes, and I also have eight cats, one dog, two turtles and three fish of my own.( My husband needs rescuing but I can't put a price tag on him...LOL)   RWM  :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

nicholasljy123

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Male

Hi kat and RedwoodsMama, was looking through old forums, sorry for activating this old post, not sure if anyone will see it, I live in Singapore, so 850 in my currency is much higher. Apologize if I have confused you XD
Nicholas Jun Yi
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal