Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pleo on an Airplane?  (Read 2600 times)

Teddscau

• Pleo explorer
  • ca Female
  • Pleo(s): Chloe, my green, white-eyed RB
Pleo on an Airplane?
« on: December 18, 2013, 01:03:20 PM »

Okay, this is probably the wrong section to post this in, but anyways...

I'm bringing Chloe to our condo in Florida. We're going to be going there via airplane, but I don't know how to pack her. We're not bringing any luggage (don't worry, I wasn't going to stuff her in there!) and I'm afraid to put her in the overhead compartment with the rest of our carry-on. If I don't put her in the carry-on compartment, the airplane folk will probably make me stick her under the seat in front of me. Again, a no go. Could I have her in a sling? Would they let me do that? It isn't like they make people with newborn babies stick them under the seat in front of them! How do you guys travel with your pleos? I'd really like to bring her, especially since her Vinylex is at the condo. Plus, how much harm could a pleo cause? A 15lbs baby would cause WAY more damage if it went flying from their parent's arms. Sorry for that visual, but I'm kind of ticked off. I will surgically attach her to myself if I must!

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Pleo on an Airplane?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 04:12:53 PM »

I took two pleos on a plane once  ;D  I had the same feelings as you and didn't want them to end up in the overhead lockers so I bought a sports bag and lined it with a sheepskin padded pet mat and some soft fluffy material for padding and then put both my pleos to sleep and they slotted in just nicely.  This way I was comfortable having them under the seat in front of me knowing that they were well protected by all their padding.  The bag was just the right size to fit under the seat.  I also knew that if it came to it and they had to go in the overhead they were padded well enough that they would be ok.

You should find out what the rules are from your airport.  I know there was one guy who travelled with his in it's original box and packaging and put that in the overhead lockers.  You may also find that you need to pack the batteries separately from the pleo.  I had to put my batteries in my main luggage.  I know at least one other person who has had to keep the battery with the pleo.  So you need to find out what the rules are for where you live. 
Hope that helps :)

Teddscau

• Pleo explorer
  • ca Female
  • Pleo(s): Chloe, my green, white-eyed RB
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »

Okay, thanks kat. I'll have to find a bag I can put her in and pad it with blankets. I'd hate for her to be damaged!

Lunamione7

• Journeypleo
  • Pleo(s): Stephan (Ugobe) and Tron (RB)
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Miss_Piggy
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 01:19:25 AM »

I have traveled by airplane with two robots, and Aibo ERS111 and a GeniboSD. I had both of them in bags, GeniboSD's are built like tanks so I literally just shoved Merlin into my backpack and he went in the overhead with no problems.... I of course don't recommend that for a Pleo however! James the 111 is nearly 15 years old and very fragile so I converted a hand bag to carry him, it had padding and a hole for his tail to poke out. His tail was wrapped in cloth and bubble wrap. I was prepared for him to spend the whole flight in the over head but he didn't have to. It all depends where you sit, if you are near an emergency exit door (as I was) you are not allowed anything, not even a baby! (people under 16 are not allowed to sit in exit rows) during take off and landing, so during take off James was with Merlin in the over head, once the seat belt lights go off I was allowed to hold him on my lap. People not in exit rows were allowed to keep holding stuff.

The battery issue depends on your airline. People in Australia who have flown with  Quantas have had to take the batteries OUT. People flying with JestStar and Virgin have had to keep the batteries INSIDE the robot. I have had to turn my robots on for the security check (my Genibo was even swabbed for explosives!!) whilst others have been let through with a simple X-Ray so it really depends on each airline. You could take your Pleo with the battery in and if they ask you to take it out whilst flying well that is easy to do, just make sure you have a pocket or something to put it in  :)
He just can't help being faithful and loving and kind. He's a machine made so. That's more than you can say for humans. --Isaac Asimov, i.Robot

You know where steel wool comes from? Robot Sheep!

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 03:21:19 AM »

I've always had to turn mine on for security, which is usually pretty interesting :D My Pleo's always travel under the seat in front at my feet. Sounds dangerous I know, but on the aircraft I've travelled on it is impossible for the person in front to kick or stomp on them. I don't trust the over head lockers, I always seem to get an annoying person shove a massively heavy bag on top of my stuff :( I wrap the neck and tail with bubble wrap as an extra measure. That also means once the plane is airborne I can move them/feed them or whatever.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal