Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2013 Public Service Announcement  (Read 2608 times)

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
2013 Public Service Announcement
« on: November 08, 2013, 08:23:25 PM »

Testing . . .  testing . . . one, two, three . . .  testing . . .  ^-^

Attention all members!

Yes, it's that time of the year, again! :o

It's hard to believe we've been up for almost 5 years now!   :o  :o  The official Pleoworld forums only made it one and a half.   :-[

The 2013 Annual Forum Financial Report and Fund Raiser

This site, these forums, are a fan-based, fan-created, fan-driven effort.  It is not run by or supported by Innvo Labs or Jetta or associated with PleoWorld, it is not a monetary venture or a commercial site, and has no intent on becoming one, so listen closely, I'm only going to say this once.  :o  And I'm only saying this because people have asked . . . those who think it should also be a fan-supported site.  ;)   Well, that, and when we started running ads I promised I'd keep people informed on how things are going. :P
And I'm deleting this topic next week!  :-X

Posting and activity has been really down this year, even though traffic/visits has remained consistent.  In fact, August has the highest guest count and page views we've ever had, even though it was less than half of the posting average.   We are hovering at the 1000 member threshhold for the first time.  We've had over 1600 members, but around 600 have left for good, so that's 1000 who have actually been active within the last year.  But with nothing new development or release-wise, there hasn't been much excitement to draw new people in.

Well, our "fiscal" year has officially come to an end.  The hosting fees and domain names have already been renewed, and we were sitting right around the break-even point before paying the hosting charges this last month, but we were getting close on another adsense payout, which should hopefully put us right back into the black soon.  So, we'll be here for a while to come . . . .

The Fundraiser

Yes,  it's the time of the year when we renew the annual site's hosting contract.
And, yes, I've already paid it.  So you'll have to put up with this site for at least another year, regardless!
But for those who feel the strange urge to give money to a dinosaur that wears a trashcan for pants to support this site financially, this is your one and only chance.  We only do this once a year, and only for one week (we had to cancel the telethon again this year, Bob ate the TV camera).  You can donate via PayPal to Bob@BobThePleo.com

Contributions are not tax deductible.  This is not a charity.   But I will say that 100% of all monies received go to paying for this site.  And if, for some odd reason, more money accumulates than is needed to pay for the site, we'll can always upgrade our hosting plan!

Some profits from Forum Stores also go to support the site.  This includes sales from the Bob the Pleo books, calendar, and jewelry from Prehistoric Pling.

And for those who have already expressed their support through various gifts, contest prizes, or other means, don't even think about donating!  You're already doing your part!  Let someone else get a chance!

The 2011-2012 Financial Report

Summary*
Starting balance:
Donations:5
$14.41
Income:
$0.00
Expenses:
-$97.14
Ending balance:
$-30.36

Yes, for the first time, we actually started out the year ahead.  :o  The ads seem to be doing their job; and if this trend continues, who know, next year we may even be able to cut back on them.   :pray:

Expenses:1
When  What  Amt.
1/2013
  Domain registration: 
$21.98
3/2013
  Domain registration: 
$24.84
10/2013
  Hosting: 
$50.32

Income:
Adsense Revenue2
$154.00
   Oct. 2012
$9.69
   Nov. 2012
$29.84
   Dec. 2012
$21.97
   Jan. 2013
$13.52
   Feb. 2013
$12.09
   Mar. 2013
$12.68
   Apr. 2013
$9.23
   May. 2013
$6.26
   Jun. 2013
$4.44
   Jul. 2013
$5.69
   Aug. 2013
$8.49
   Sep. 2013
$10.91
   Oct. 2013
$9.2
Book sales3
$0.00
Calendar sales4
$0.00
Store sales5
$21.00

*All amounts are expressed in U.S. dollars (USD).  All income not received as USD was converted at the time received, based on the current exchange rate at that time.  As a forum consisting of members from around the world, forum transactions regularly occur in other currencies including British pounds (GBP), Australian dollars (AUD), Canadian Dollars (CAD), and others.

1The only expenses I'm assigning to the forum are the actual costs directly related to the hosting.  These include such things as the domain name registration (so that we can use the name bobthepleo.com) and hosting (paying for the web site).  None of the admins or moderators are paid for the work they do in maintaining these forums.  Also, the forum does not pay for anything related to the contests, that's strictly out of the generosity of the members.  However, the moose has been dropping hints he wants a raise . . . .

2 The monthly income amounts from Google ads are approximations only.  Actual income is accrued in GBP, and only paid out when certain thresholds are reached.  So, the actual USD amounts are based on the exchange rate at the time of the payout, minus bank fees.  We have not yet received a payout this year, but should by the end of the year.  If we continue to receive approximately one payout a year, the site is becoming pretty much self supporting.

3Profits from  the web sales of It's the Great Pepperoni, Bob the Pleo and A Bob the Pleo Christmas go to support the forums as well.  And oddly enough, somebody out there is still buying copies . . . although only a couple have sold this year, and not enough to generate a royalty payout.

4Profits from the web sales of the Bob the Pleo calendars go to support the forums.  And although the 2013 calendar did generate a couple of direct sales, most  sales occurred as the one big bulk purchase that were re-distributed to members at cost.  The 2014 calendars won't go on sale until this next week or so.

5Some of the stores have committed to sending a portion of their sales/profits to support the forums.  This is done on a strictly voluntary basis, and there really isn't any way for us to verify or enforce any type of payment, and no monies were reported or donated from sales this year.

Conclusion

This concludes our test of the emergency pleo system.
If this had been a real emergency, I wouldn't have wasted my time typing this.  I'd have been running for cover!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
Re: 2013 Public Service Announcement
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 07:34:33 AM »

Good work, and (speaking as a poster with an ad-blocker) hurrah for Adsense .........  :P  :moose:

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 07:49:38 AM »

I got an email after posting this.  Someone bought another book! :o  I don't know which one, but that bumps the accrued royalties is now up to $8.61. :P  And the publisher did notify me that they are going to redo the book size on The Great Pepperoni and run a second batch at the new 1/4-inch larger size.  It seems the first printing is no longer a standard size for store shelves. %)  Go figure . . . But maybe with a new print run, we'll see a royalty payout this coming year! :)  At least they should send me a few comp copies of the new size I can share here.

That and after renewing the site hosting, the service provider has bumped up our storage space to 100GB . . . so we have plenty of new room for more gallery submissions!  :bliss:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:02:10 AM by mweed »

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 01:23:28 PM »

Great news...great way to start the Holiday season! :autumn: :turkeydance:              RWM  :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 04:00:30 AM »

Great news for everyone here except that turkey...  :turkeydance:

... Now will it fit in my oven...
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 03:57:34 PM »

If it will fit in the oven or not is not the question you should be asking ...... Can you catch it is the one we all want to know   :turkeydance:   :dino-chase:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal