Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Terry Fox?  (Read 3004 times)

Teddscau

• Pleo explorer
  • ca Female
  • Pleo(s): Chloe, my green, white-eyed RB
Terry Fox?
« on: October 10, 2013, 09:32:50 AM »

Do people outside of Canada know about Terry Fox?

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Terry Fox?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 09:57:33 AM »

I have heard the name before, He is or was an athlete, correct and also was a runner or is a runner, and did he lose a leg...can't remember all the details but I do know he is famous and there was a movie made about him. Am I on the right track?           RWM  :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Teddscau

• Pleo explorer
  • ca Female
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 11:32:36 AM »

Yep, you're on the right track. He lost his leg to cancer and decided to run across Canada from the East Coast to the West to raise money for cancer research. He started in St. John's, Newfoundland, and made it to Thunderbay, Ontario. He was doing the equivalent of a marathon a day. His Marathon of Hope ended in Thunderbay when he was having trouble breathing. He was rushed to the hospital where he was told that the cancer had returned, but this time it was in his lungs. He died a few months later and a statue was erected at the spot that Terry's marathon ended. While he was running, few knew about him at first, then eventually the media picked up on it and thousands would gather to watch as he ran by. He died on June 28, 1981 at age 22. Every year, schools and organizations all across Canada raise money for cancer research in honour of Terry. Because of him, there was increased awareness about cancer. He raised 1.7 million dollars by the time he was forced to abandon the marathon. Because of him, millions of dollars have been raised for cancer research. He is one of our national heroes.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 12:01:09 PM »

Yes, I remember the movie and I am old enough to have heard about him during the early 80s when he was actually running. Sad story but he raised awareness of Cancer so his life was short but he accomplished what a lot of us wish we could do something in our lifetime and he did in the time God gave him. He was a true hero and so when people say they can not do something because of some minor ailment, Terry Fox's story is a good example of something that can be done despite the odds you are given.                    RWM  :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Teddscau

• Pleo explorer
  • ca Female
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 12:59:40 PM »

Yeah, in some ways it was kind of good that he didn't finish his marathon and ended up dying. It makes people realize that action has to be taken to find a cure and that we owe it to Terry to find a cure. The fact that he died before reaching his goal kind of guilts people into finishing the race for him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal