Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Pleo  (Read 5036 times)

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
New Pleo
« on: May 10, 2009, 12:53:32 PM »

So, I bought my new Pleo, named it Buster (Ugobe went bust ;) ) and knowing my luck, something was bound to be wrong.
Hatched in a silent room, the thing after completing it's birth schpeel kept turning it's head 90 degrees to the right and then when it would start walking it would always stop after a couple of steps, look to the right, then turn to the right, and repeat this over and over.  I thought I knew what was going on, but I hooked it up to Dino-MITE to check.

Sure enough in a silent room the SENSOR_SOUND_DIRECTION was being triggered constantly.  I couldn't believe it.  I asked aibopet for advice, though he/she had none.

I didn't want to return the blasted thing after 4 hours, so I decided after a long think to try and fix it myself.

I knew about the sensor disable command, so I copied the automon.txt from the Pleo's flash memory onto and SD card and added the line sensor disable 26 to it.  I then re-copied the file back onto the flash memory of the pleo.

This has stopped the Pleo from identifying the direction of sound, but it can still percieve when a loud sound is made as normal.  It just wont turn to the sound any more.

The dilemma I have is this is a brand new pleo, and it already has a malfunction out of the box, albeit "fixed" now,  should I just make do and be happy, or should I return it?

Just my luck eh? ;)

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo
Re: New Pleo
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 11:23:24 PM »

LMAO!!  Only you!  Buying a defective pleo!  :)

Sorry.  Shouldn't laugh.  But it fits.

Sounds to me like one of the microphones is bad, or just shorted out.  As a result, pleo thinks there is a constant noise coming to that ear.  The other still works, so a loud noise is still picked up by the left ear and can be heard over the hum in the right ear.

You have programatically overridden the response to the constant noise, but you now have a partially deaf pleo that doesn't respond normally.

As we discussed last week.  If this happened a couple of months after you got him, I would say that's just part of his developing personality, and learn to live with it.  But to be broken right out of the box . . .   That just doesn't seem right.

My honest opinion is that you should have a pleo, but I would call Amazon and explain that the product arrived defective, and that you want to exchange it for another.  Not a refund, but an exchange.  Box him back up and go for another, before you get too attached!

BTW, Buster is a great name! ;)

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 02:43:01 AM »

Haha Mike,
I think that you are too late.  After disabling the dound sirection sensor I have a pretty nice new pleo, not even a crooked necked one!

I am hesitant about returning it for two main reasons:
1.  If I do, amazon may decide just not to sell me another Pleo on the grounds that I would have now returned 3 to them.
2.  If I get a new pleo, it could have other flaws!  Lots of other pleos actually have crooked necks when they are set to the straight position, and this really bothers me!  Buster's neck is as straight as a sugar cane!

What should I do?

P.s. please can you guys give me proper answers, not luvvie-duvvy answers ;), you know what I mean you bunch of softies.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 07:23:38 AM by degers »

kisumi

• Pleozoologist
  • Female
  • Kai and Stanley
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 08:56:56 AM »

I would send it back and get a replacement, if there has been an issue with pleo from when you got him whats to say more wont develop further down the line? Also with pleo's now going extinct it may be better to do it now whilst they can still replace it with another pleo. :)

pirpintine

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 12:09:44 PM »

if yer happy with a partially deaf pleo, then no worries! im sure hell still be fun. it snot like pleo does much with teh sounds it hears anyhow XD

who knows, maybe its other senses will improve ;) rofl.

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 05:34:12 PM »

This is a tough one to answer degers! You are the only one that can decide on what to do. Not every pleo is absolutely alike. If your new one is is partially deaf, does it matter to you? If it does I would return him before you get too attached. Perhaps, contact Amazon and see if they can check the next one out before shipping. You have seen enough of them hatch! ;) ;D

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 06:28:22 PM »

Apply for a service dog for the deaf to help Pleo manage in the world. Train said dog to respond to all the important sounds Pleo needs like his dad calling him to dinner and another Pleo talking to him... Then train the dog to walk really slowly beside Buster to keep him out of trouble.

Also consider a hearing aid ;)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 08:25:18 PM »

Pirpintine and ImR, Great answers! Good thing I don't have any stitches! I would have just busted them! ;D

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 02:07:56 PM »

Hey Degers, awesome news! I'm happy you got a pleo again.

However if it was me, I would surely get a replacement. I would hate to have a defected pleo that only got worse with time. Like previously stated, if you like him then why bother? Also, like previously mentioned it will be up to you in the long run on what you do.

(Oh yeah, i so know what you're talking about with the crooked neck! I thought Sophie II was unique. Thanks for the info, will keep that in mind.)
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 02:42:44 PM »

Thanks Gucci.  No, I have found the crooked necks are quite common.  Havoc had an extreemely crooked neck.

kisumi

• Pleozoologist
  • Female
  • Kai and Stanley
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 03:41:45 PM »

I have been quite lucky with my 3 necks lovely and straight! feeling quite privaliged lol
Does having a crooked neck affect the movement in any way? Ive not seen one

Darkwolf

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
  • Robots rule!
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 01:12:39 AM »

I say keep him.
Having a partially deaf Pleo makes yours quite unique, no?
Besides... how responsive are they truly to audio and the direction it comes from?
I thought I read here and there that Pleo hasn't reached it's full potential in that field yet.
Honestly... if I see how fast en true Aibo responds to directional sound then I really wouldn't be worried about your Pleo being a bit deaf... ;)
Proud owner of my beloved Pluriel (Pleo) and Diesel (Aibo ERS-7M3)

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 04:11:36 PM »

I have been quite lucky with my 3 necks lovely and straight! feeling quite privaliged lol
Does having a crooked neck affect the movement in any way? Ive not seen one

No, not really. It's purely cosmetic. I only notice it when I put her into storage mode. Then it's only a very slight S-Curve I believe. I could always take pics if anyone is interested.
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 11:57:28 AM »

I have some pics, I'll post here when I get time.

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 12:28:36 PM »

You'd better!  Don't make me have to come over there and flog you with a wet noodle! ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal