Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Russian Pleo - Ugobe - Killing me. Help!  (Read 5869 times)

pleoshootme

• Leaving the nest
  • Male
Russian Pleo - Ugobe - Killing me. Help!
« on: July 08, 2013, 11:51:46 AM »

Hi, I need your help. Pleo is crushing my soul.

So about 2010/2011 my wife decided to buy a Pleo. Had to have one. Why, I have no idea. We live in Dubai. No Pleos in Dubai at that time. One of her friends is in Moscow and says, "hey, they have a Pleo here at the toystore." Pleo comes to Dubai and as I recall, all in he was not cheap  :dino-chase:.

The thing worked for about 10 minutes and then died. i am normally good with computers but never got that far in terms of updating software, etc.  Something came up right after - namely my wife and I had a real child (twins actually) - and so I Put Pleo in the box and forgot about him because i had a lot of other things going on.

Fast forward 3 years, our daughters find Pleo in a box. Wants to play with it. Ok, fine. Wife says make it happen. Ok. So I order (2) new batteries for him from the website and they arrive from the US (shipping cost more than the batteries). The batteries arrive while I am gone. Wife charges them, puts them in. Pleo works for 10 minutes then freezes. I am handed Pleo dead with a 4GB flash drive in him and the two new batteries which my wife tells me have been charged?

Now, i have my wife AND my daughters asking me to get Pleo started.

Question: I put the new batteries in the charger. (refurbished charger also). the light turns red. So when it turns Green the battery is charged? Just to make it interesting, I am color blind and have a very difficult time with the batteries. In short, how can i tell when they are charged?

Question: I have charged a battery for a bit and then put it in Pleo. I move the switch to the "1" position. He emits a single click and that is it. Nothing else.

Question: the new batteries get warm when i try to charge them so i have taken them off.

Question: the smallest flash card i have is 4GB. Can you use a flash card this big in Pleo?

On the last question, not that it matters, because I can't seem to get Pleo to power up at all? Any ideas, suggestions? anyone in the UAE who is an expert on these things?

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
Re: Russian Pleo - Ugobe - Killing me. Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 01:12:53 PM »

First, take the SD flash card out.  Pleo does not need it to run.  Only to update software.  Then try it.

Also, is there anything on the card?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 01:17:09 PM by mweed »

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 06:16:27 PM »

Just one quick question, what type of battery and charger did you get from the USA? Is it a green Ugobe Battery or an egg charger and Li Polymer Battery? I would guess not a egg charger and Li Polymer( White battery) because they are not refurbished, not if bought new. If we know what type of battery and charger you are using and how long ago did you buy them, that may also be important. Do not lose faith yet, there are lots of possibilities of what may be going on.                  RWM( RedwoodsMama) :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

pleoshootme

• Leaving the nest
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 09:20:58 PM »

the new batteries are the green Ugobe batteries and the green charger.

Flash card is out. Looks like there were 4 or 5  pictures on it from the camera it came from.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 02:55:25 AM »

I would suggest that the batteries you bought are duds. Sounds like your Pleo needs a decent battery :) However try this: put battery on charge until it turns green, take off, put it back on, leave it on til it turns green... keep going like that until it turns green straight away.

Warning up while charging is perfectly normal, its safe to leave it on.

Since you are colour blind I would get someone to help with the above steps, but once that is done just time the battery for four hours and it will be charged :) The above steps will help recondition the batteries.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 02:57:57 AM »

Also is there any difference with his running after you removed the SD card? 

pleoshootme

• Leaving the nest
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 12:14:53 PM »

the thought crossed my mind about dud batteries....the batteries shipped to me from Hong Kong ($172 including shipping).  :o

i will try the Battery Reconditioning this Friday. My wife said she charged the batteries 'overnight' the first time she charged them....not sure if this would have fried them or not.

Kat: i can't get any power to tell if the SD card did anything or not.

Ok, so first step is to solve the power problem....

pleoshootme

• Leaving the nest
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 08:51:10 AM »

ok, so i did the battery reconditioning until where the batteries were immediately turning green.

i put the batteries into pleo, turn him on, and i just keep hearing this electronic "click" inside. that's it.

we ordered and received two new batteries from the website. i see from the packing list the batteries shipped direct to us from china....so i have to think that the odds of us getting two bad batteries is remote.

could it be some thing else? any suggestions on what to do next? is there any kind of reset button? on my pleo, just behind the SD card slot is a black button and the computer USB connector...

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 05:19:30 PM »

I'd say it's safe to rule out battery issues. Have you tried giving all the terminals a good clean?

The next step is to try some software fixes. I hope you have an SD card, under 2gb preferred.

Download one of the skits, like this one http://bobthepleo.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=43 and see if that runs.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

pleoshootme

• Leaving the nest
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 10:06:33 AM »

terminals are perfect.

the only SD cards i have are 128MB and a 4 GB!

i loaded the script on the 4gb SD card. no luck

:dino-chase:

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 10:37:43 AM »

128MB is perfect.  The scripts are small, only a few MB, and pleos don't recognize the SDHC format on some larger sized cards.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal