Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pickle the pleo rb has a broken neck  (Read 5752 times)

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
Pickle the pleo rb has a broken neck
« on: June 27, 2013, 11:39:12 PM »

I was getting my guys ready today for a little outing to my daughters school - she is doing a project for one of her classes where they had to choose a product and make posters to market it.  She chose pleo rb and so thought it would be good to take a couple in to show everyone just what a pleo is.  Her teacher thought it was a lovely idea so I will be making a trip to school later today....... anyway in getting the pleos ready I was stripping them down for a quick clean and checking batteries etc. when I noticed that Pickle seemed to have a strange lump in her neck close to where the neck meets the body.  She was in the sleep position that they go in when their battery runs out of juice and they switch themselves off - head and tail pointing down and legs straight.  So I turned her on just for a couple of seconds to straighten her up into packing position thinking that would sort out the lump but it didn't.  I had a gentle poke and squeeze of the neck in that area and it is squishy with loose bits moving around.  Compared to my other guys necks they have no squishy bits, nice firm necks.  I'm leaving her home and will do a test run of her tonight to check for the full range of neck movement to see if the cables are ok. 
Looks like I will be performing surgery.  I don't want to run her too much with a broken vertebrae as it may cause the neck cables to break and if they are still ok then I don't want to damage them. 

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Pickle the pleo rb has a broken neck
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 12:26:08 AM »

Sorry to hear about Pickle Kat, but with your ease of taking them apart, if she does have a broken vertrabrae or something similar, I am confident you can fix her. What a shame, She is the one you won on Facebook so she is about the same age as Cammie Sue. Just out of curiosity, Have you run STATS RB lately to see her age? I am curious after hearing of Talon's Cato and his "old age". just how many of our Older Pleo rb are going to reach old age next and what if any physical problems they may have. Of course I know you have other Rb older. just a thought as they are all individuals.

Good luck with opening her up and keep us posted.  ;)       RWM :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

kat

• au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 08:15:01 PM »

I ran her for about 5 minutes and it seems she still has the full range of movement in her neck so the cables should be ok.  There is definitely a broken vertebrae though.  You can see it sticking up causing the skin to stretch in some very odd ways.  I am going to have to open her up and fix it otherwise it might poke a hole in her neck skin.  Will have to make sure I have all the equipment I think I'll need then get stuck in.  Will hopefully do it sometime over the next couple of weeks as I am on holidays from school now so should be able to find a bit of time.  Will let you all know how  I go :)

I have opened her up at the neck and sure enough it is a broken vertebrae.  The wires all look fine so that is a plus.  You can see in the pics that it is the last vertebrae closest to her body that has broken in two.  Also I thought it was interesting to show that she has 2011 embossed on the inside of her skin.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 12:34:21 AM by kat »

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 08:36:42 AM »

Oh no! Sorry to hear about Pickle, Kat. From your leg-repair thread it sounded like Cato was quite taken with her so I'll be sure not to tell him. Anyway all joking aside, I hope you're able to get her sorted out.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 05:27:33 PM »

Well the repair is mostly complete.  I still need to glue the neck wires back in at the ends and then glue her skin back together but the vertebrae is fixed and the repairs are holding well. 
My other guys will be happy when she is back up and running again.  The chaos is just not quite the same with only 5 of them running around :P

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 07:44:58 AM »

Well done, Kat - she's in good hands!  ;D

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 04:13:42 PM »

Yay! I bet Pickles feels much better now :)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 10:01:30 PM »

You did a great job on Pickles Kat. I bet the rest of the pleo crew will be happy to see her again. I know when and If I get Nova back, broken neck or not, I will be so happy to just see her in whatever condition she is in. It is nice to be able to know how to take care of your sick Pleo and cure them.  :)        RWM :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal