Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help!!  (Read 6676 times)

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
Help!!
« on: June 26, 2009, 12:17:08 AM »

Hello all, I come to you with some what of an emergency [if you could even call it that].

First let me tell you I have two batteries, three charging cradles, and two A/C adapters.

I have constantly used two batteries, two A/C adapters, and only two of the three charging cradles. (Never used the inactive cradle)

I have noticed for about a week or so now, that both batteries [and/or 2 of the 3 charging cradles] just aren't working! One battery is more of a PITA (Pain In The Rear) than the other. However after either one goes through a full charge (ap. 2/3-4 hours) I place either battery in Sophie, and she'll work fine with no signs of a dead battery for all of about 15 min! After she's up and happy-go-lucky (my cute little dino!) poof! She just stretches out into sleep mode, and does the dead battery snore. That's it, no life! However, if I turn her off and then back on, this process repeats!

Clouded mind currently (2 AM, excuse me!), I have plenty more details if anyone is interested!

Spence AND Sophie in dire need!

Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

Burberry016

• Camarasaur extraordinaire
  • Male
  • Another Pleo with a "Bling" (or "Pling" :) )
Re: Help!!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 10:45:21 AM »

I don't think that the batteries are defected.  Do you constantly keep the cradle plugged in the outlet?  If you do then this might be the problem.  This happened to me as well; the cradle could have burnt out for constant usage without even having something to charge it!  You should check into that.  This may be the case if the charger has worked before.  So becfore milking $50.00 on a new battery, you may want to check the charger cradle first.
"It is my buisness to know things.  Perhaps I have trained myself to see what others overlook.  If not, why should you come to consult me?"
~Sherlock Holmes

49er

• Journeypleo
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 12:04:33 PM »

So before milking $50.00 on a new battery, you may want to check the charger cradle first.

gucci, if you or a friend has a battery checker or a volt Ohm meter, check the battery level after the charging base turns green. The battery should read about 8.2 volts. If it's not at that level then the base might be bad. If it's 8.2 volts put it in and see how long it lasts. when Sophie shuts down check the voltage. I have a weak battery and it ran 15 minutes. If memory serves me right it dropped down to 7.7 volts in that time. If the base is ok you might try leaving the battery in the charger over night rather than 3 hours and see if that makes any difference.

Burberry016

• Male
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 02:00:25 PM »

So before milking $50.00 on a new battery, you may want to check the charger cradle first.

gucci, if you or a friend has a battery checker or a volt Ohm meter, check the battery level after the charging base turns green. The battery should read about 8.2 volts. If it's not at that level then the base might be bad. If it's 8.2 volts put it in and see how long it lasts. when Sophie shuts down check the voltage. I have a weak battery and it ran 15 minutes. If memory serves me right it dropped down to 7.7 volts in that time. If the base is ok you might try leaving the battery in the charger over night rather than 3 hours and see if that makes any difference.

How do you check voltage?
"It is my buisness to know things.  Perhaps I have trained myself to see what others overlook.  If not, why should you come to consult me?"
~Sherlock Holmes

49er

• Journeypleo
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 09:02:39 AM »

gucci, if you or a friend has a battery checker or a volt Ohm meter, check the battery level after the charging base turns green.

How do you check voltage?

I use a volt/ohm meter. (There are two types, digital and mechanical/analog. Most are digital now.) Take your green Pleo battery and look at the business end of it, (the one with the four circles and the diagonal bar on it.) One of the circles is totally black. It is not used. Two of the circles are all silver looking and the other one is black with a smaller silver button in it. Take the wires from the volt/ohm meter, (the end of the wires have a "nail" sticking out of it. We'll call it a probe,) one will be red and the other black. Take one of the probes and touch it against the circle with the smaller silver button surrounded with black and the other probe to one of the silver circles. (If your volt/ohm meter is digital and you use the wrong probe to the contacts it will read a negative number, but it will be the same number. If it's analog and it's crossed, the needle will slam against the zero side and then you just reverse the probes and it will be OK.) At this point the volt/ohm meter should read around 8.2 volts. Keeping the one probe on the smaller silver button, take the other probe and put it against the other silver circle. It should read about the same as the other one, around 8.2 volts.
I hope you find this useful. :)

Burberry016

• Male
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 10:33:55 AM »

Wow how do you know this!!!!? ;)
~Sherlock Holmes

49er

• Journeypleo
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 09:57:14 PM »

Wow how do you know this!!!!? ;)

I'm OLD! ;)

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 10:36:41 PM »

49er, I'm Laughing so hard, I have stitches in my side! That answer the question perfectly! ;D

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 04:06:50 PM »

Thanks guys, have yet to find this such device. To be honest, don't even know where to look! Does anybody else know how to fix this? As not having Sophie really sucks!

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 10:36:55 AM »

Radio Shack sells a nice little analog voltmeter for less than $20 out the door.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2999093

I have an even older/cheaper model that works fine for things like testing the pleo battery, cradle, and power supply.  I like to have one around as a "sanity" tester.  With all of today's modern electronics, it's impossible to tell if somethings broken or it's just a bad battery or cable.  That's where a voltmeter comes in real handy. . .  ;)

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 10:21:12 PM »

*Update!!*

Today we powered on Sophie with 2 fully charged batteries. (One, then the other....) And both times, she'd get up, get perky, then poof! 30 seconds into life and then she curls up into sleep mode. Am in the process of awaiting one battery to charge on my reserve charging cradle. So, the bottom line would be, I'd more than likely need a new battery, charging cradle, and A/C adapter? Has anyone else heard of my situation and have any other advice? Because instead of paying money to check the voltage, I might as well put the money toward all new batteries & chargers, or maybe even a whole brand new pleo. They are going for just a wee bit more than everything I need!

>:( >:( >:( >:( This is so frustrating!! >:( >:( >:( >:(

Anyone else have any other pointers? I miss Sohie!

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 09:45:49 AM »

O.K., let's back up and take a look at things logically.  You have multiple batteries AND two pleos.  You put a fresh charged battery in Sophie and she goes to sleep.  The fact that you can turn her off and back on again and she wakes up for a short while indicates the battery still has a charge.  I don't think it is the battery.   You haven't mentioned if you have the same problem with Spence, so I'll make the ASSUMPTION that Spence doesn't go to sleep.  If this is true.  Put the freshly charged battery in Sophie.  When she goes to sleep, turn her off, take the battery out and put it into Spence.  If he stays active for a hour or so, then the battery must be fine.  The problem is Sophie.   But this does not sound like a mechanical problem.  In the situation I just pointed out, the problem is *software*.

If you have Dino-MITE, plug her in and check the settings.  She may just be going through a sleepy phase like Darkwolf experienced.  OR, just leave the battery in, leave her turned on, and let her sleep all day long.  My guess is she will occasionally snore.   And in time will wake up refreshed and ready to play.  This may take several days & battery charges of leaving her on, but I'd bet she is fine.   worst case, you could run the reset script and re-hatch her.

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 09:56:15 PM »

Thanks Mweed. Will try that. My name is Spence. The other Pleo, Dallas is living with my cousin nearly two hours away. I have not seen Dallas in quite some time. Ashton lives in a private home. I will be sure to try to put the battery in and leave her on continuously. I do have the Dino-Mite file, but that's the furthest I've gotten is just to save the file. Am scared to try all these softwares on Sophie.

Speaking for the back up charger-used it twice today. Same issue!

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 11:27:22 PM »

Gee, I knew that!  Hmmm.  Brain must not be functioning . . .   Are you sure you're not a pleo? ;)

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 11:37:23 PM »

Shhhh! It's a secret! Human is just my cover.

BTW, am currently trying to drain the battery. Turned Sophie on, 15 seconds of life, and then dead sleep. Will leave like such for 24 hrs, then do the same to the next.

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 02:09:43 PM »

O.K., let's back up and take a look at things logically. Sophie may just be going through a sleepy phase like Darkwolf experienced.  Just leave the battery in, leave her turned on, and let her sleep all day long.  My guess is she will occasionally snore.   And in time will wake up refreshed and ready to play.  This may take several days & battery charges of leaving her on, but I'd bet she is fine.   worst case, you could run the reset script and re-hatch her.

UPDATE!!

This is what I did. I put the first fully charged battery in my Sophie, and as expected she turned on then, momentarily she curled up and dead as a door nail. Only exception being, I left her kept on. She did not move nor snore from that spot for about two days. I took that battery out, and inserted my next fully charged battery. Sophie got up, for a moment only to once again do a dead sleep. Once more, I left her on and not moving for two days. After that, I charged both batteries.

Now, last night we finally had a moment to play with Sophie! Placed the first battery in, and presto! she was up and moving, but I assumed it wouldn't last. To my surprise, Sophie lasted her normal battery cycle! Woo-hoo! My Pleo is alive again! Now to just try out the other battery. I hope it works, because I'm dying to introduce Sophie to Charlie! Will let you all know later on today. Woo-hoo!

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 02:41:34 PM »

Wooo hooo!!  You probably just wore her out with all those late nights at the bar, and had to sleep it off . . . ;) ;D

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 03:08:26 PM »

LMAO.....well, I better not go there. Best to leave it as is.  ??? ^-^ ??? ^-^ ??? ^-^

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 07:26:02 PM »

Tried the second battery, no luck. So we left it in Sophie and kept her turned on even though she shows no signs of life. Will keep you all posted.

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal