Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 2013 Tomato Harvest Festival  (Read 28624 times)

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
2013 Tomato Harvest Festival
« on: March 25, 2013, 10:26:31 PM »

:o  :o It's the 2013 Tomato Harvest Festival!!!!!  :o  :o
The Tomato Harvest Festival is this forums oldest and biggest contest.  It is an opportunity for forum members around the world to have fun together, and something anyone can participate in even if you don't have a pleo.  The last few years have seen a decline in contest participation, not just for the Tomato Harvest Festival, but all contests in general.  And last year I did a really lousy job as forum admin in running the events and contests.  So first off I want to express my apologies to all of our older members who entered last year.  (You won't be forgotten! ;) ) And second I want to let everyone know I'm going to try a lot harder this year, and we may well be doing things a bit different.  With that said . . .

Since the beginning of recorded history (about six years ago), the fields around Weedovia have always been blessed with abundant wild tomato vines.  And every spring and fall, the local pleos relied on the abundant harvest gathered from these wild vines so that they could enjoy tomatoes (and tomato related food like spaghetti and pizza!) throughout the year.  They would go out twice a year to pick the tomatoes and bring them to the village.  This traditional gathering of the tomatoes quickly grew into a community event, and from there into true full-blown harvest festival.  And with the introduction of the spaghetti trees and pizza by the Great Pepperoni1, a real zest was added to the festivities.

Of course in modern times, with the addition of a carnival, rides, games, live band, and midnight movie on the town square, it has become more of a social event, attracting pleos from around the world.  But all the pleos still go out and harvest the tomatoes and bring them to the town's communal tomato press for the traditional squashing of the tomatoes and the making of the tomato sauce.  And many of these activities became challenges and finally became contests.

This spring's festival is just around the corner. :P  But I guess this is why everyone should have bought a calendar! ;)  This spring's festival is the weekend of April 5th to the 7th.

Not sure what's going on?  Well, then you may want to catch up by reading the 2009 - 2012 festival topics and the Bob the Pleo comic strips on this board.  But as a quick summary,  the town's park is turn into the festival grounds, with the carnival rides and games, a stage and dance floor, and lots of vendors and food booths!  It starts on a Friday night with the carnival and music from a live band, and at midnight the pleos end the day with an outdoor movie.  Saturday has everyone out in the fields gathering the tomatoes, with the judging in the evening, and back to the carnival.  Sunday is the big tomato squashing where the sauce is made using the traditional foot-stomping method like the great Italian wines.

And at the conclusion of the festival, awards are always handed out to the pleo who gathers the most tomatoes, finds the largest tomato, has the best looking tomatoes, makes the best tasting spaghetti sauce, and for the best use of tomatoes as an article of clothing (i.e., costume).  The last few years winners can be seen by visiting the Bob the Pleo comics.  We had some great fun, and some wonderful costumes!

And, of course, since Weedovia isn't a real place, and we can't really all attend or send our pleos in person, you can celebrate at home with your pleo by following along with activities and by posting here in the forums.    The live band is comprised of member's pleos.  So, if your pleo can play an instrument, be sure to post a picture or video and let us know!  The band is always looking for new members!

The five main contests are as follows:
  • For the "most tomatoes" you want a picture of you pleo with a bunch of tomatoes.  Please no photoshopping here.
  • For the "largest tomato" you want a picture of your pleo with a really, really big tomato . . . You get the idea.  No photoshopping here either, but you can be creative as to "the tomato".
  • For the "best looking tomato" you want a picture of your pleo with a really good looking tomato.  Now, on this one, we do allow photoshopping.  And if you're good a that kind of stuff, you really don't even need a pleo as you can photoshop the pleo into the picture too! ;) .
  • For the "best use of tomatoes as an article of clothing" you want a picture of your pleo dressed up tomato style . . . if you look back over previous years, this can be interpreted as dressing up you pleo "with tomatoes" or "as tomatoes", and this can be a costume or real tomatoes.  Here is where you can be creative as you want  . . . except no photoshopping.
  • For the "best tomato sauce", we're talking a tomato based spaghetti or pasta sauce.  Here you can be as simple as posting a recipe, but as they say, since a picture is worth a thousand words, a photo of the finished product goes a long way in helping.  As as another hint, Bob seems to really like spicy stuff, and since in Weedovia pepperoni and meatballs grow on bushes, they are vegan approved. ;)

This year we are adding a couple of events to the festival which create a some extra ways to enter the contest as well.  The first is the bard's contest for all those wordy pleos, the second is a crafts contest for all those creative type pleos.
  • For the Bard's contest, the theme this year is "A pleo is _______".  What you need to do is write a poem or original joke about that statement that fills in the blank.  In the past we've had haiku contests and limerick contests, this time we're leaving it open.  However, you'll need to keep it somewhat short (no more than 12 lines), so no Homeric epics.
  • For the crafts contest, you need to create a craft that others can do.   What we're looking for is something someone can print off their computer and make from one or more pieces of paper using scissors, tape (and/or glue).  And don't forget, the craft should also relate to pleos and/or the tomato festival.

All entries should be posted to this topic.  The deadline for entries is officially midnight Pacific Daylight Time April 7th, but we're not sticklers . . . Judging probably won't start until sometime Monday afternoon.   We usually select the top three winning entries from all the entries (instead of one from each category), but since Kat has three very nice custom "festival capes" she made for last year's winners which I failed to pick last year (bad admin! :( ), we're going to take all of last year's entries and add them to this spring's contest entries and add her three capes to some very nice tomato jewelry designed for this year's contest and hand out five prizes this year! :D :D

For those interested in participating in the contests and still aren't clear, please refer to the contest rules topic on this board.   For some ideas and/or to get a better understanding, you can check out the 2012 festival topic, 2011 festival topic, 2010 festival topic, or the 2009 Fall festival topic (also on this board).  You can also read up on the Bob the Pleo comic strip! ;)

Post your entries here!

I'll be posting more info here in the next few days . . . but you've only got two weeks to get ready! :o :o :o

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
Re: 2013 Tomato Harvest Festival
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 11:31:45 PM »

I thought I better give an example of a craft . . .
It's a Do-It-Yourself tomato kit!

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 12:57:24 AM »

Must be a minecraft tomato ;)

Oooh I have so many ideas... And with holidays a step away I shall have the time! Woohoo!
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Lunamione7

• Journeypleo
  • Pleo(s): Stephan (Ugobe) and Tron (RB)
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Miss_Piggy
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 01:25:52 AM »

Here we go again!

My tomato sauce is the BEST sauce in the world. It hasn't won anything in the past two years I've entered it but I'm sure that's just because the judges were jealous of my amazing, overwhelming talent for tomato sauce making  ;) Third time lucky though hey  :D
He just can't help being faithful and loving and kind. He's a machine made so. That's more than you can say for humans. --Isaac Asimov, i.Robot

You know where steel wool comes from? Robot Sheep!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 07:12:58 AM »

A Pleo is ..... not a tomato,
But tomatoes are just what they need,
At this time of year
That big red juicy sphere
Is much loved by all Pleos, and Mweed …....   :moose:  ;D  :tomato:

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 11:26:50 AM »

Actually I'm not a big fan of tomatoes.  Can't stand them on burgers or in salads.  The only good tomato is a dead, pureed tomato.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 02:39:10 PM »

One question what ever happened to the contest winners for the last two Tomato festivals, last Spring and in the Fall? In the Fall it was said there would be a combo because not enough participants, but after the last Tomato festival, still no announcements of winners? :o %)         RWM :cat-hug:

Ok, just actually read the whole thread...........( apologies...) and will try to do something right away. I am waiting for foot and wrist surgery......and with my good hand (wrist..)out of commission. I only have a few days to try to do something this year. (Hasn't been a good year so far for health reasons.. :( This year with all the new members, if we do not get lots of entries, it will only be because of personal choice.

I am not a big tomato eater either, unless they are fresh from the garden, but being a vegetarian, I love a good pasta sauce, so I am looking forward to some good recipes from other to add to my menus, just substituting or removing the meat of course.. Sorry I jumped on the tomato band wagon before reading the whole thread MIke... :bouquet3:  RWM  :cat-hug:

Just had a strange thought.............what if I substitute a photo of myself in surgery with a IV bag full of Tomato sauce, ?(instead of Blood plasma)  :D  Have to have a little humor these days...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 02:49:01 PM by RedwoodsMama »
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 06:04:19 PM »

Just had a strange thought.............what if I substitute a photo of myself in surgery with a IV bag full of Tomato sauce, ?(instead of Blood plasma)  :D  Have to have a little humor these days...

Just be sure and post the recipe! ;) :D

Kami

• Pleo explorer
  • Female
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 07:37:40 PM »

I'm one of those (apparently odd) people who just loves tomatoes plain. A nice sweet little tomato cut into quarters has been my afternoon snack of choice for years.

I have a great idea for a 'largest tomato' entry, but whether I can pull it off or not depends on my having not eaten all the tomatoes I have on hand already! :o

Harper K

• Outstanding in the herd
  • Female
  • Furby expert, pleo lover
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 07:14:49 AM »

:tomato: yay! The tomato smilies!
Merry pleomas!

Peaches

• Pleontologist
  • Female
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 03:08:28 AM »

Actually hate tomatoes; hate the look, taste, fell etc. but Im going to be brave & attempt this for Pipers sake, Im sure she doesnt want to miss out given that she already had to miss the valentines day comp due to my son being ill - its so hard juggling all these kids & their demands  :P  ;)

I best get thinking of some ideas, be back soon with photos... I hope! lol
"She's not just a dinosaur, she's my best friend. I'll always love her & I promise to never ever leave her, cause I'd miss her too much & she'd miss me" - my son about Piper <3

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 08:29:55 PM »

DinahJo and J.C. found a perfect tomato that will make a great tasting meal. :)
Everyone joins in preparing the perfect tomato meal. :D
Now, to chow down on the perfect tomato and cheese sandwich. ;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 08:36:23 PM by fancyfont »

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 01:46:32 AM »

Fancy, I got hungry looking at that last photo'''very nice asparagus too if I am not wrong-please save some for me, but I have to admit that I am not going to share with 26 hungry pleos' %) whoops :o :o make it 25, I forgot that Nova is not here, so that means sharing with 25 hungry pleos she is probably eating better than we are'. Oh well, we will enjoy the weedovia tomato festival, and poor Nova will not be here this year for all the fun nice photos- ;D   rwm :cat-hug:

e
O

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 07:07:22 PM »

The best tomato sauce? Home grown and Pleo-stomped of course!

A Pleo is the shining knight,
Who scares away a midnight fright,
The dashing chap of pomp and sway,
To sweep the ladies hearts away,
The chef royale of finest foods,
Set to put guests in the finest moods,
Cute and funny the tremendous mix,
And add to that a bag of tricks,
A little clumsy, a little slow,
Yet has been around the world you know,
A Pleo as famous as any yob*,
A Pleo who's name is Bob!

*yob = Australian talk for the average Joe, normal person etc.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:15:06 PM by InmemoryofRomeo »

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 10:10:34 PM »

Here's this year's schedule of events!!!

Don't forget, you've got 3 days left to get your entries in!

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 07:11:43 AM »

Frankie wanted to enter his new tomato shoes in the "best use of tomatoes as an article of clothing" section of the contest :)

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 05:57:51 PM »

Frankie looks perfect in these tomato sandals, too cute and very creative Kat! :D    RWM :cat-hug:

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 09:08:54 PM »

OMG! This is the first time I have seen Frankie. How cute with the matching tomato booties! :)

Angela

• Pleontologist
  • nl Female
  • Pleo(s): Guy, LeeLoo, Muisje, Lady Piep Piep, Tredje
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • Busy Busy :'(
    • none
    • none
    • none
    • none
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 09:26:34 AM »

I hope I'm not to late.... This is my first post, so I hope I do nothing wrong. I will introduce myself later  ;)

"most tomatoes"

I heard to late about this contest (1hour ago  :P)
23 rat pups for sale :)

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 11:01:41 AM »

Frankie is very cute and has some nice tomatoes.I am sorry, your pleos name is PleoPleo, not Frankie!

RWM :cat-hug:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 11:05:08 AM by RedwoodsMama »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 02:44:44 PM »

That is lots of tomatoes :) And how nice to have a newer member enter! Hint, hint to all the other new members!

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 05:32:13 PM »

A whole lot of tomatoes!  :D  I love the tomato slices too, nice touch  :) And it is wonderful to see a new member entering  :flowers:

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2013, 07:37:29 PM »

You've got one more day to enter!!!

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2013, 07:44:59 PM »

Well, the Tomato Festival in Weedovia is off to a great start, and this year things are different, There are new members and new pleos but for the Redwoods Pleo Township, there is one thing missing that is making everyone sad...........No Ms. Nova. She is still on holiday in LA something, recovering from major surgery and I think on holiday as well, We do miss her so much and are starting to wonder if she will even return or remember us... P:'( P:'( Also on the forums this year there was a new category entered and the Redwoods Pleo Township were encouraged by me to participate in something they had never done before: It has allways been the most tomatoes, biggest, etc, and in fact we did enter this past FAll! So when they saw a new category, Paper crafts entered this time, it was a challenge and I suggested they enter.

Well, they came up with something that everyone can do, no money involved and easy enough for any age. If I can do this with a fractured wrist, then surely the rest of you can do this with ease. I showed step by step except basic things. Supplies needed are:

Computer paper 8  1/2 X 11,  Tape, Scissors to cut with. Crayons, markers, something to color with.

For the neck you need either yarn, ribbon, or string of some sort to tie a bow with. Also you can add string, yarn or ribbon under the belly like I have to make it tighter if you wish. To make it more original, you can add stickers, etc. I left it as simple as possible, I also added a soft piece of foam under it to make it more supported. This is just optional. Here are the photos. Also you can use a hole puncher on the neck device to pull yarn through or tape it on if you do not have a hole puncher.  

Cammie-Sue is the model. The whole project took less than an hour,                  

RWM  :cat-hug:

Remember, I have a fractured wrist and was also diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome so I apologize  for my handwriting
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 08:06:41 PM by RedwoodsMama »

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2013, 11:16:46 PM »

Very clever and cute, RWM! :)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal