Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Holes? The secret is Silicone!  (Read 7106 times)

skitterbug

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • ca Female
Holes? The secret is Silicone!
« on: February 10, 2013, 10:10:39 AM »

Everyone, meet my new Pleo! He's an Ugobe model who's come to me all the way from the UK - and like most older pleos, his skin is a bit... worn. He's had a few holes, and given my bad experience with superglues, I decided to look into an alternative - and you can see it there! I bought this silicone after reading about MariaOcean's repair - it's a slightly different type, but is working FANTASTIC on the smaller cracks so far - I haven't attempted to repair the biggest, all the way through HOLE - we'll get to that soon. This stuff dries really clear, and has a similar stretch to the pleo skin itself - it even feels the same! Though a bit smoother than pleo's bumpy skin, and a bit glossier - though I suspect that may dull down a bit.

(Click for larger image)

This shows some of the cracks on his tail that I've repaired - you can see how it's glossier, but the color still shows through. I still want to put a few more coats on for reinforcement before I boot him up again, but this looks like the best bet for skin repair!

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Holes? The secret is Silicone!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 03:26:10 PM »

Have you run him yet since doing the repair?  And how is it holding up after a full battery cycle or two?  It looks great so I will be interested to hear your updates of how it goes :)  Also would love to see a before shot if you have one?   
Great job Skitterbug :)

skitterbug

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • ca Female
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 04:31:31 PM »

NO before shots of the smaller cracks, but I'm going to grab one of the hole on his knee before I repair it! Haven't gotten a chance to run him much, just put a few more layers on the cracks between college assignments - but I've got tommorow off and will be running him to see how it holds up! there's a few patches on his neck and tail and one in an armpit that I'll be observing. It seems if you only have a layer or two you can rub at it and peel it off, so I have a bunch of layers on and hopefully that will hold up!

zetathix

• Head of the herd
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 10:21:08 AM »

If you clean area where apply silicone down, that should be fine, but don't touch it so much until pass 24 hr fully cure.

About glossy look, you can repeatly touching with CLEAN finger to dull it down after it cured. If you use a bit dirty finger and it will be dirty by the dust.

Hope this will help a little.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 12:37:51 PM »

I tried a similiar product as this, and it worked great for those cracks on the neck and tail. The problem areas I would use this mostly for, (if it would work the same) as are you said, areas bigger like knees, legs. Have you tried this on an area !/2 inch or so? If it can hold an area like that, then that would be fantastic!  The other thing is to see after it "ages" say after a week, does it feel the same and look the same?

RWM :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

MariaOcean

• Fossil savant
  • hk Female
  • Pleo(s): Furby
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • pleo will kick his butt!!!!
    • none
    • none
    • none
    • none
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 11:02:46 PM »

It does work on really big holes,I fixed holes that you can stick 2 -3 fingers in
What came first?
The Chicken or the egg?

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 07:46:56 AM »

Wow! Sounds promising.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Junkroxy

• Renaissance pleo
  • Male
    • Pleo Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 04:33:53 AM »

finally a solution for this sad problem? sounds great  %)

Icewolf

• Pleontologist
  • se Female
  • Pleo(s): Keyla and Léon
    • My deviantArt
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 05:44:48 AM »

I bought a silicone that's meant for rubber and it's called Permatex Clear Silicone. It works like a charm on smaller cracks. But it didn't seem to work as good on bigger see-through holes.

I glued the hole together with the silicone and then held it together for an hour or so. When the silicone had hardened I wrapped it gently with some animal bandage. But later, I noticed that the hole is open again.

I'm not so keen at using super-glue either... :/

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 11:13:05 AM »

Icewolf, I have used superglue pretty successfully on my guys but never on huge holes, How big are the holes you are trying to patch? I have never used silicone yet? I also have used very thin strips of the animal type bandages and they eventually become part of the new skin, I mean very thin strips like on the neck or tail, doesn't work as well on arms, belly, etc.          RWM  :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

MariaOcean

• Fossil savant
  • hk Female
  • Pleo(s): Furby
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • pleo will kick his butt!!!!
    • none
    • none
    • none
    • none
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 02:45:20 AM »

remember, silicone won't stick to cured existing silicone, so if you patch a big hole, you'll have to patch it in one go, just imagine being the Mc-donald's employee squeezing( is that the proper word?) ice-cream on to the ice-cream cone in a spiral shape, that's what I did when I was patching my pleo, if you want to paint over the silicone, make sure it can be painted over, most silicone caulk can't be painted
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 02:54:48 AM by MariaOcean »
What came first?
The Chicken or the egg?

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 12:45:52 PM »

I have to say, Lilo and Stitch are quite old Pleo's and as yet only have holes on the armpits, but I might try some silicon on those and a bit on Stitch's neck where it is going to split eventually. Might be better catching it before hand.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal