Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Who wants to learn beginning Pleo programming?  (Read 33117 times)

zetathix

• Head of the herd
  • Male
Re: Who wants to learn beginning Pleo programming?
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 05:06:49 AM »

I am really interesting. Please count me in!

I don't have a PLEO for now, wait for money. But now I have a lot of upgrading ideas coming in my head.

Oh! and I am a new member, Hello to everyone.  ;D

shadowmice

• Pleozoologist
  • ca Female
  • Pleo(s): Theo, Teagan, Tessa, Eva
    • Professor
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Linus
    • Shadowmice Photography
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, 09:18:32 AM »

Man, get a bout of the flu and you end up missing all sorts of cool stuff. Definitely interested in this.    :thumbsup:
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

mlbelanger

• Head of the herd
  • Male
    • mlbelanger.com
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, 12:51:16 PM »

Greetings zetathix and welcome to the forums.  Shadowmice I've got that same flu!

I'm hoping to have the new easier-to-use version of the PDK which I'm calling myPleo ready for download in a couple of days.  I'm just cleaning up the naming and cross-linking of the media files right now and perhaps adding in a few bits for program debugging.

I'll post here when it's ready for download and there will be some tutorials online as well.

Michael
Pleo developer, Software and Hardware guru, Electronics and Programming instructor.

zetathix

• Head of the herd
  • Male
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2013, 01:24:42 PM »

How exciting!  :)

Until my statement's ready for adopt a pleo. Maybe I have sometime to study deep down as far as I could.  :P

Oh! I have been read about SURF method which use for perceptual recognition. Could it possible adapt to use on pleo? If that is possible, pleo maybe smarter a little bit ... or maybe a big leap.  :cheer:

I already know pleo have a lot of exception on hardware but I think by nature of pleo, it still have a lot of leak to polishing just only software alone.

Build with limitation but full of emotion. That's why I really like pleo      :-*         :-*  :-*  :-* :-* :-*:-* :dino-chase:

mlbelanger

• Head of the herd
  • Male
    • mlbelanger.com
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2013, 02:19:32 PM »

Zetathix,

While you're waiting for your Pleo you can start by downloading the original PDK from the downloads section here.  It contains lots of reading materials on the Pleo's Operating System.  Programming is done in the PAWN programming language so do a Google search and you will find documentation on PAWN itself.

I'm not familiar with SURF but if you can post a like I would be happy to take a look.

In general you won't be able to do any low-level processing of data on the Pleo, especially from the Camera system, as that part of the robot is still closed-source.  Pleo has hardware limitations, but if you see it for what it is, a robot with very robust and high-quality animation playback combined with a very useful set of sensors for dealing with human interaction (the capacitive touch sensors in particular) then you have a robot that can mimic what humans expect from a living animal.

People find it very easy to form emotional bonds with Pleos, even after a few moments of interaction.  Basically once they respond to human touch in a logical way (cuddling up to being petted for instance) people completely change their view of the robot and how they interact with it.

It's a great platform for experimenting in human/robot interaction and especially great for engaging kids, women, and people who aren't normally interested in robotics.
Pleo developer, Software and Hardware guru, Electronics and Programming instructor.

zetathix

• Head of the herd
  • Male
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2013, 05:19:22 AM »

I think about my perspective on Pleo and I'm sure that when limits has push to the ceiling, Pleo will be a good friend and better than today. Not hope that they could act like 2-3-... times more expensive robots. You can bet on a best on adorable of companions in the marget.

About robotic things I think that is another story, Animatronic IMO using for mimic a smooth(enough), reliable, organic look, and so on. That's the reason why I'm really impress with Jurassic park, Babe, etc.

Robot like Aibo, Genibo, Nao, Asimo, etc. have their own purposes to do advance tasks but it loss some fineness and some moves look really creepy. If you say robotics, I say Boston Dynamic.  ;D Where all toys and robotics should look and try to steal from.  8)

Just not 20 years from today. But I hope that someday Pleo will have that legs.  ;D ;D ;D

And this is about SURF if you happy to read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SURF
http://www.vision.ee.ethz.ch/~surf/papers.html

...and SIFT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale-invariant_feature_transform
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 05:25:48 AM by zetathix »

mlbelanger

• Head of the herd
  • Male
    • mlbelanger.com
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2013, 10:25:04 AM »

I would LOVE to have low-level access to the Pleo's Operating System for things like vision processing, etc and I think some day we will hopefully when Innovo releases more information in future PDK versions.

But for now there is a ton that can be done with the Pleo in relation to using all it's available sensor data to build models of the world around it, interact with people, etc.

And yes, those Boston Dynamics robots are fantastic.

zetathix

• Head of the herd
  • Male
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2013, 04:47:28 AM »

Yes, exactly what I'm thinking. Could it possible to split a fraction of situation and sum by sequence actions of master? Just like you pet, he maybe scare and moving to escape, you hit him a bit, he moves less, but if you hit him too much and he will be afraid of people. Or when he want to sleep then he will try to move to the same corner (favorite) as usual, which is the most quiet part of the room and he will remember elements around there and try to find here for later. Or just use some handmaded color card to assign a thing to learn for him, such as this card here to tell him this is his pen, and here must turn left, for example.

About BD, unfortunately those awesome techs are inventing for the military...which one way to get a big bucks to keep researching...

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 09:19:18 PM »

Hit a Pleo? No, no! WOuld you really want your Pleo to be afraid of you? ;D

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 11:48:06 PM »

I agree with fancy, hitting my pleo ( any pleo) is compareable to hitting an animal. You do not hit your pets, and those that disipline or "abuse" their animals, would get the same negative reactions, or actions from pleo. You want positive reinforcement , not negative reinforcement.   RWM :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

zetathix

• Head of the herd
  • Male
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2013, 04:25:40 AM »

So sorry if you think that I want to hit them, i never do any cruelty to any animals or toys...Ok, I will change situation a bit...  :P

Just imagine that replace "HITTING" with "SHOW A RED CARD" like a soccer (feels better?), show them and they will learn that is a warning and learn to be patient for a short time, decrease their ignorance, success rate depend on drives. Maybe this will ease to understand.  ;)

There's no desire to use cruelty on Pleo, But as you can see that some people trying to test or treat Pleo like a normal object, misuse.

So, again, I didn't meant to harm any animals or robots or toys or any artificial life. That just an example.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2013, 05:02:04 AM »

I understand you.  One of the reasons I really liked the early Aibo models was because of their capacity to learn from their treatment and their environment.  It's a truly magical thing. :)

zetathix

• Head of the herd
  • Male
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2013, 05:23:29 AM »

If Innvo distribute Pleo at the same price rate as Aibo, maybe no one better at all.

But at that price, we all lose... :( I just imagine when Aibo stiil on the marget and I already have enough money to adopt one.  :pray:

continue...  (for saving space.)

As I find out on the internet, from my surprise that found out Aibo can walk to charge itself. Aibo using SIFT method to detect an object. And camera has more resolution 3X than Pleo.  : ???

Not count the CPU also more power.

If someone brave enough to switching Pleo's camera with this one that 3X better than current resolution plus other functions like auto white balance and so on.  :-*

http://www.robotshop.com/sfe-cmos-camera-640-480.html

Just an idea...But I think this one small enough and use the same I2C. So this make me curious why Innvo doesn't upgrade the camera as they claimed signal bottle-neck problem has gone... Maybe lack of CPU power :-\
(sorry for a little off the topic.)

But again, that's for some advance masters only!  :P
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:22:12 AM by zetathix »

PleoAibo29

• Pleontologist
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Suse and Mack
  • linux n00b
    • none
    • Gonzo
    • Flying_Ace
    • AIBO Cafe
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2013, 07:04:20 PM »

I would love to learn! I run windows7 and I dont have a pleo yet.   :hissyfit: :( I still want to learn though!

MGdesigner

• Leaving the nest
  • Male
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2013, 12:06:57 PM »

Me,too. ;D

I'm a new  member. I just ordered a Pleo rb. I am a Linux user with programming experience. I have downloaded old pleo PDK and  newest Pleo rb PDK. In Linux part, it lacks some programs,so I spend a lot of time to search. :pray: Hope there is better starting set...

My little wish.... could write program to let Pleo play red ball, play hunting game or beat  detection .  :)

Osta

• Leaving the nest
  • Female
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2013, 11:08:53 AM »

I am very interested!  I purchased a Pleo RB for my high school progamming class. I'm hoping some students will be able to learn to program it.
We run Windows 7.

Rex

• Hatchling
  • Male
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2013, 02:28:27 AM »

OMG this is just PERFECT! We have a PLEO rb and use Windows 7, 8 and XP. We are working on a project to learn PLEO a few new moves, like walking stairs, fetch objects and stuff, but we have no clue about how to use the PrbDK. This could solve everything!  :turkeydance:

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2013, 07:34:52 AM »

The problem is, the members who started this activity have disappeared . . . and haven't been heard or seen from in over 6 months.

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2013, 04:14:04 PM »

Sadly as Mike says our budding programmers seem to have deserted us :(
If you are struggling with the PDK for Pleo then maybe you could look at some other programmable robot alternatives.  For example Sphero is a robotic ball that you can control via Bluetooth using your smart phone.  It has a bunch of apps that you can download to play with it but you can also make your own app for controlling and directing sphero.  Or you might want to look at cubelets - these are little robotic cubes that snap together to make a robot, allowing you to create many different types of robots depending on which cube you use.  Each cube controls a different thing like power, movement, light detection, motion detection etc... You can also get a Bluetooth cube allowing you to create an app to control and program movements for your robot.  The company that make Cubelets have just announced a new product - an updated version of cubelets that looks very cool called Moss.    Do a google search on the above bots and see if any of them look like they might meet your requirements.  I think you may find them easier to program than pleo. 

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2013, 03:57:51 AM »

All serious attempts at Pleo programming thus far has resulted in the programmer disappearing of the face of the planet :o Conspiracy theories anyone :P
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2013, 07:57:57 AM »

No idea but we need to come up with an insentive to make these budding programmers hang around a while. Lol!
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2013, 03:51:32 PM »

Maybe they are being abducted by Innvo  :P

gamer007

• Hatchling
  • Female
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2014, 10:24:42 AM »

Hi, it's great to hear that someone care about the noobs in Pleo programming :D. I'm running Windows 7, but I also have a laptop with Windows 8.1. I would be more than glad to be a beta-tester. And btw, Idk my Pleo operating system, how can I find that out? Does it have any impact on my program? Thank again :)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2014, 02:46:09 PM »

I'm afraid this topic will never proceed :( The person who started it disappeared 12 months ago.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

mlbelanger

• Head of the herd
  • Male
    • mlbelanger.com
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2014, 04:44:21 PM »

Greetings All,

I've been gone for quite a while but I'm back around and working on Pleo programming.  I've put up a first test version of my simplified Pleo Development Kit which I'm calling myPleo.  If you're interested in Pelo programming and have a Ugobe Pleo then take a look and let me know if you find it useful at all.  The website documentation leaves a lot to be desired but I'll be adding to it over time.

http://www.mlbelanger.com/pleo/mypleo/

Michael
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal