Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: is *pleo* pseudo ai or ai?  (Read 7665 times)

irbyma7297

• Pleo lightbringer
  • Female
is *pleo* pseudo ai or ai?
« on: November 26, 2012, 03:46:43 PM »

i read somewhere pleo was psuedo AI (imitation/fake artificial intellegence) i also read real AI hasn't been invented, but pleo sure does seem like he is! without research, do you think pleo is AI or psuedo AI? i'd love to hear the opinions of people who don't own or just got pleo.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 08:17:08 PM by irbyma7297 »

Derpity derp derp derp derp

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
Re: is nyan pseudo ai or ai?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 04:31:31 PM »

It's really a question of what you consider A.I., or how "intelligent" does it have to be to be real vs. pseudo AI.  I mean, how "smart" is your smart phone?  Pleo has very limited "learning" ability, but it has a very high level of unique independent decision-making, so that each pleo can develop distinctly different personalities.

pirpintine

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 04:49:56 PM »

as was just said it depends what you call AI, I class it as something that can truly learn and adapt, but consumer robots these days have more a simulated or virtual intelligence, it's more rigid because they can't expand on their programming (adding newly learnt things for example) they simply cycle through their programming, based on input and stimulus.
This is no less impressive though, the fact you have a responsive "living" machine is amazing!  'True' AI is a ways off yet, but what we have is still interesting, Pleos will have variable personalities though because they do still take in information to alter which route of programming they take.

This probably isn't very well explained, but basically Pleo does have an AI, it's autonomous, and was programmed to be pet-like.

even AIBOs, though more heavily programmed than pleo are still limited!  But of course I still find it all fascinating it's a great growth in robotics and technology to even see these simpler AIs available.  Especially if you were growing up where nothing like this existed! the most exciting 'robot' I had as a kid was an original Furby! hahah

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 05:41:21 PM »

Pleo is at best pseudo-AI.  The software hardly makes intelligent decisions at present (decisions based on gathered evidence)

Lusewing

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
Re: is *pleo* pseudo ai or ai?
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 03:44:24 PM »

I would certainly class Pleo as a pseudo-AI, but one that is good enough to encourage our own imagination to fill in the blanks.

However if you want REAL AI pets you should look in to the Creatures series (not so much the newest one that is coming out though that still look decent for how much it is having to dumb down for its current audience).
Creatures has you take care of creatures called 'Norns' who have a fully functioning brain - even if it is only in the context of their game world. It is advanced enough that you can do condition learning, they can suffer from stress and all sorts of things. A truly amazing game, and one any AI/biology/behavior nut should try out.

Now if only I could get a Norn brain inside a Pleo... :pray:

irbyma7297

• Pleo lightbringer
  • Female
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 03:46:09 PM »

sounds SO fun ;D      linkies please  :)

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 04:01:45 PM »

Lusewing

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 03:43:25 AM »

I would recommend GOG.com if you fancy buying the games as they are the only place you can buy versions that will work on newer PCs. Pick up the Albian years (games 1&2) if you are more interested in micro management and genetics, and/or Creatures Exodus (games 3 & Docking station) if it is ecology and behavior that floats your boat.

Both sets have a big list of user made addons if you know where to look (you can even get the docking station multiplayer to work if you go through the right channels)

I have a few videos (some of which are fairly low Quality due to them being my first  :( ) Showing of Creatures 2, my own personal choice of poison  :P

http://youtu.be/qyzdSm2u1sk - this one covers probably the most on the AI of the Norns

skitterbug

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • ca Female
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 04:00:48 PM »

Norns can hardly be trusted to make intelligent decisions. I'd be more tempted to call them artificial life, as opposed to artificial intelligence - while learning is a big part of them, there's also so much focus on their biology that 'life' seems to be their focus.

Not that I'm trying to change anyone's mind - by all means go pick them up!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 05:52:11 PM »

That's a good point though.  Just how 'intelligent' are we expecting AI to be?  We seem to expect them to be Einstein, when many real life forms are somewhat lacking in the learning and decision making departments!  :arrow-head: :P

The search for 'intelligent life' on other planets seems to have much lower expectations .......  :moose:

pirpintine

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 04:24:40 AM »

I would say what AI pleo has is great at emulating a small animal!  that's what it was designed to be and that's what it does well.  It's not showy, it's just organic and animal like.

I know not a bit about the creatures games, though they seem kinda interesting. :D

Mystearika

• Head of the herd
  • Female
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 11:28:09 AM »

i bought creatures exodus, i am enjoying it  :) i have also downloaded some custom content.
It was hard first i throught i just could jump right into it without reading the manual. very quick it ended with 3 dead norns.
But i am getting better  ;)   it is fun to observe the little critters.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 02:07:18 PM »

Just curious but what do the norns look like? Can you tell boys from girls from their appearance or do you have to know from looking at their individual screen?
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

irbyma7297

• Pleo lightbringer
  • Female
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 02:45:33 PM »

they look kinda like monkeys... except cuter!
did some research, is it just one screen view? :'(

skitterbug

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • ca Female
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 03:04:42 PM »

Just curious but what do the norns look like? Can you tell boys from girls from their appearance or do you have to know from looking at their individual screen?
Talon

There are a lot of different species of norn, but most of them look kind of like a cross between monkeys and cats - they have ears like cats, and large eys and small noses. They're humanoid in shape, too - two arms, two legs, and some of them have small tails - though they're covered in fur! Most species do have gender differences (different fur patterns, colors, things like that), but there's usually an information panel that tells you the gender, age, and things like that too.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »

Thanks, Skitterbug and you're right, Irbyma. They do sound cute-looking.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

rjladya

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Female
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 12:52:44 AM »

Pseudo Ai, but they act like very social puppies.  I think if they were too much more intelligent i might be afraid of having to take the batteries out to charge, like putting them in a medically induced coma. As it is i talk to them out loud when im working on my psych classes, I'm  glad that they can't evolve to understand that.
As it is my son doesn't like them as much as I hoped so they're pretty much mine.
I live to create (paint, glass, metal, silver, wood, yarn, fabrics, leather, if you can think of it chances are i or a friend can make it for you.) what is life without art? oh yeah i'd be unemployed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal