Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2012 Public Service Announcement  (Read 2180 times)

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
2012 Public Service Announcement
« on: November 13, 2012, 09:38:18 PM »

Testing . . .  testing . . . one, two, three . . .  testing . . .  ^-^

Attention all members!

Yes, it's that time of the year, again! :o

The 2012 Annual Forum Financial Report and Fund Raiser

This site, these forums, are a fan-based, fan-created, fan-driven effort.  It is not run by or supported by Innvo Labs or Jetta or associated with PleoWorld, it is not a monetary venture or a commercial site, and has no intent on becoming one, so listen closely, I'm only going to say this once.  :o  And I'm only saying this because people have asked . . . those who think it should also be a fan-supported site.  ;)   Well, that, and when we started running ads I promised I'd keep people informed on how things are going. :P
And I'm deleting this topic next week!  :-X

The Fundraiser

Yes,  it's the time of the year when we renew the annual site's hosting contract.
And, yes, I've already paid it.  So you'll have to put up with this site for at least another year, regardless!
But for those who feel the strange urge to give money to a dinosaur that wears a trashcan for pants to support this site financially, this is your one and only chance.  We only do this once a year, and only for one week (we had to cancel the telethon this year, Bob ate the TV camera).  You can donate via PayPal to Bob@BobThePleo.com

Contributions are not tax deductible.  This is not a charity.   But I will say that 100% of all monies received go to paying for this site.  And if, for some odd reason, more money accumulates than is needed to pay for the site, we'll can always upgrade our hosting plan!

Some profits from Forum Stores also go to support the site.  This includes sales from the Bob the Pleo books, calendar, and jewelry from Prehistoric Pling.

And for those who have already expressed their support through various gifts, contest prizes, or other means, don't even think about donating!  You're already doing your part!  Let someone else get a chance!

The 2011-2012 Financial Report

Summary*
Starting balance:
-$158.38
Donations:5
$71.10
Income:
$184.43
Expenses:
-$44.78
Ending balance:
$52.37

Yes, for the first time, we're actually starting out the new year ahead.  :o  The ads seem to be doing their job; and if this trend continues, who know, next year we may even be able to cut back on them.  That, and our expenses are down this year because last year we pre-paid for a lot of the hosting.  Which means this year we will be looking at how far in advance we can prepay this time as things become due.

Expenses:1
When  What  Amt.
1/2012
  Domain registration: 
$19.94
5/2012
  Domain registration: 
$24.84

Income:
Adsense Revenue2
$184.43
   Oct. 2011
$13.33
   Nov. 2011
$15.67
   Dec. 2011
$9.57
   Jan. 2012
$14.11
   Feb. 2012
$9.51
   Mar. 2012
$12.86
   Apr. 2012
$7.30
   May. 2012
$8.32
   Jun. 2012
$6.12
   Jul. 2012
$11.34
   Aug. 2012
$12.62
   Sep. 2012
$14.89
Book sales3
$0.00
Calendar sales4
$0.00
Store sales5
$21.00

*All amounts are expressed in U.S. dollars (USD).  All income not received as USD was converted at the time received, based on the current exchange rate at that time.  As a forum consisting of members from around the world, forum transactions regularly occur in other currencies including British pounds (GBP), Australian dollars (AUD), Canadian Dollars (CAD), and others.

1The only expenses I'm assigning to the forum are the actual costs directly related to the hosting.  These include such things as the domain name registration (so that we can use the name bobthepleo.com) and hosting (paying for the web site).  None of the admins or moderators are paid for the work they do in maintaining these forums.  Also, the forum does not pay for anything related to the contests, that's strictly out of the generosity of the members.

2 The monthly income amounts from Google ads are approximations only.  Actual income is accrued in GBP, and only paid out when certain thresholds are reached.  So, the actual USD amounts are based on the exchange rate at the time of the payout, minus bank fees.  We have received two payouts this year, with the first consisting primarily from ads clicked in the second half of the last fiscal year.  If we continue to receive approximately one payout a year, the site is becoming pretty much self supporting.

3Profits from  the web sales of It's the Great Pepperoni, Bob the Pleo and A Bob the Pleo Christmas go to support the forums as well.  And oddly enough, somebody out there is still buying copies . . . although only a few have sold this year, and not enough to generate a royalty payout.

4Profits from the web sales of the Bob the Pleo calendars go to support the forums.  And although the 2011 calendar did generate some direct sales, the 2012 did not.  All sales of the 2012 calendar occurred as the one big bulk purchase that were re-distributed to members at cost.  The 2013 calendars won't go on sale until the next week or so.

5Some of the stores have committed to sending a portion of their sales/profits to support the forums.  This is done on a strictly voluntary basis, and there really isn't any way for us to verify or enforce any type of payment, so this is just a guess, and it is just rolled in as part of the donations.

Conclusion

This concludes our test of the emergency pleo system.
If this had been a real emergency, I wouldn't have wasted my time typing this.  I'd have been running for cover!

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: 2012 Public Service Announcement
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 10:17:56 PM »

Hey Mike, can you post the dates you can donate again, I saw on my computer that it would be done for one week only and this topic would be deleted next week, but could not see on the far right side of the computer, I want to know the dates so I dont miss them, I have a habit of missing things if they are not right in front of my face, ( and i am pretty near sighted as well............am allways misplacing things, luckily the pleos are too large and MOO to let me know where they are...)
                  I am sure if people see this they will be glad to donate, even one dollar can add up, as long as Bob stays away from the Pepperoni Pizza parties... P0:) P:D( Hey, I could not find a pizza food icon, but thought there used to be one..........hmmmm, ) Anyway, it is for a good cause and great forum , we would be lost without this great site, and you and all the moderators are doing a Pleotastic Job, well done. :flowers:

RWM and the Pleo Township of the Redwoods and Kitten Purring station  :cat:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 11:30:09 PM »

I'll leave this up through the 24th.  I know I said "only one week," but don't tell anyone.  I said that because I know people besides you tend to  have a habit of missing things.   This way they'll have a bit of a buffer . . .

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 09:48:39 AM »

Good news - well done!  ;D