Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Ugobe is dead  (Read 19685 times)

Junkroxy

• Renaissance pleo
  • Male
    • Pleo Blog
Re: Ugobe is dead
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2009, 06:09:34 AM »

yes, i found the article very difficoult to understand, but i think the major problem was the losts of Bob Christopher, i supposed with a big piece of the Ugobe's cake...

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2009, 07:31:48 AM »

Looks like even Chung has given up on Pleo if he is running a drama school now.

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2009, 01:52:10 PM »

As if there wasn't enough drama going on with the fate of pleo . . .

Nafcom

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
    • Nafcom's Crap Blog!
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2009, 03:27:57 PM »

Hey, we are really sad about the news ...  :( I could not even sleep for a day .. but then we decided to act ... registered savepleo.com and spent few days shaping the website ... what we are trying to achieve is; collect enough public donations for buying out copyright and manufacturing rights and hopefully put new life into the Pleo ! Please have a look at the idea here : www.savepleo.com and help as much as you can !  ;)
Yaroslav Tenzer

The URL you have mentioned doesn't work:

Wikidot.com - professional Wiki collaboration tools.
Error handling custom domain.

Please use the default URL of the Site:

http://savepleo.wikidot.com

....that one works instead. And it's a great one! I will put it on my blog and forum once I got my just ordered Pleo! :) Thanks for this!

Nafcom's Crap Blog & Nafcom's Crap Forum. Because I am weird like that :)

rockybulwinkle

• Following the footsteps
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2009, 10:35:08 PM »

thinkgeek.com is still selling them new :)
wait, nvm, they are out of stock :(
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 10:39:59 PM by rockybulwinkle »

Nafcom

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
    • Nafcom's Crap Blog!
Re: UGOBE FILES FOR BANKRUPTCY
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2009, 01:25:59 AM »

Its really sad because it looks like I wont get my Pleo back. I shipped Pleo on March 8, 2009 due to a broken neck. Today I read online that UGOBE filed for bankruptcy.

At least I know now why my emails were never answered.

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/technology/index.ssf?/base/national-7/1240359638312570.xml&storylist=technology

If I ways you I would email Pleo Malaysia and Pleo Italy as they are still functioning and trying to get a new Pleo!

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
  • Pleo(s): Cammey, Cloey, Copper
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2009, 08:19:02 PM »

Looks like even Chung has given up on Pleo if he is running a drama school now

ya no i just cant see this giye                                                                                                            running a drama school ???

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pjlq9Q3xc0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pjlq9Q3xc0</a>
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 08:21:42 PM by Pleo Power »

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2009, 09:35:52 PM »

Oh my gosh I can! Wish I could be a student of his! ;)

kisumi

• Pleozoologist
  • Female
  • Kai and Stanley
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2009, 03:37:47 AM »

ha ha omg that is quite strange!

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2009, 10:47:38 AM »

Just think of all the laughter that must go on in his classes! ;) I really would love to spend a day there! :)

pleoplus80

• Member of the herd
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2009, 02:06:37 AM »

A friend of mine was working in Ugobe SF office, he told me that the Ugobe auction has been completed last week and someone brought the Pleo asset.

If someone willing to pay for buying the Pleo asset, it should be a good indication that Pleo production isn't ended yet.

Let us cross our finger and see if there is any more news from the new owner soon. 

CleosDad

• Member of the herd
  • Male
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2009, 06:52:39 AM »

Thanks for the info pleoplus80. That is good news. I'd be willing to bet it's moving to china.
At least there's still hope for some sort of PDK. Maybe I won't sell Cloe just yet.

Junkroxy

• Renaissance pleo
  • Male
    • Pleo Blog
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2009, 08:46:07 AM »

Someone from the italian pw.it staff told me that there are new owners of the pleo IP. As you know Pleo is commercially important in the toy business, there's the first interactive pet for real, cos there arent electronic pets at that price with the same abilities ;)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 07:36:57 AM by Junkroxy »

Nafcom

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
    • Nafcom's Crap Blog!
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2009, 10:38:36 AM »

Someone from the italian pw.it staff told me that there are new owners of the pleo IP. As you know Pleo is commercially important in the toy business, there's the first interactive pet for real, cos there arent electronic pets at that price with the same abilities ;)

Could you maybe translate it and post it here or so (or send to me)? I emailed them too and they never cared to reply and I asked exactly this

Thanks in advance!

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2009, 12:56:13 PM »

Could you maybe translate it and post it here or so (or send to me)? I emailed them too and they never cared to reply and I asked exactly this

Thanks in advance!

Try using the Google Translator service. It worked fine for me like that.

google.com/translate
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

Nafcom

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
    • Nafcom's Crap Blog!
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2009, 04:27:02 PM »

Since he writes English here I think a human translation is much better than any online machine translation :D

pleoplus80

• Member of the herd
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2009, 11:58:02 PM »

My friend gave me some further news about Pleo and its new owner.

Most likely the production of Pleo will be continue with the same original factory and knowhow.

Also the Pleo development software kit will be released by the new owner in coming months after its completion.

This is the greatest news I heard since April after knowing Ugobe is dying. 

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2009, 12:12:13 AM »

Wow :o Maybe Pleo isn't dead, maybe he is just evolving...
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2009, 08:56:08 AM »

Hmmm . . .  anyone else notice in the Bio of John Sosoka from his farewell lecture ( http://bobthepleo.com/forums/index.php?topic=465.0 ) that he is working for a Vita Robotica, a "new" robotics company currently "operating in stealth mode"?   This makes for a great RUMOR to start . . .   John quit Ugobe to start a new company with the intent of buying the rights to pleo because he knew Ugobe was going under, and this was their way to keep it alive and get out from under the accumulated debt . . . .   or is this starting to sound liek a government conspiracy . . .  I wonder how I can tie this into the Illuminati and the assassination of JFK by the aliens from Roswell . . . .

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2009, 09:32:15 AM »

I did catch that on the lecture. I hope he is working with our little dinos. Fingers crossed once again! :)

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2009, 10:16:31 AM »

It seems likely.  You gotta wonder.  If somebody like Mattel or Wow-Wee bought pleo, it would be all over the news.  Why does no one know any detail about who bought pleo?  Perhaps . . .   because the company wants to keep it hush-hush?  And why would a company want to keep secret that they bought pleo?   Again, any company of any size or stake in the toy or robotics industry would consider this a coup and tell the press, publicize the hell out of it.   My guess is that the buyer is therefore a small company that's not ready to handle public awareness.  And Vita Robotica is a robotics company that's trying to stay quiet . . .   ;) ;)

AND . . .  if what little they have leaked out includes the fact that they intend to release the PDK "in a few months" that implies they have the knowledge and skills to pick up where Ugobe left off and run with it.  Who better than the people who created pleo!   A big company (and I've worked in software development for some) like Wow-Wee or Mattel would take months just to get up-to-speed on the development of the PDK or the OS in order to even start looking at whether or not they even want to complete the work.  And I would think a big company wouldn't be pushing to get a PDK  out the door.  They would be looking at cranking up production and exploiting the existing technology on their own products to recoup as much of their investment as possible.   Getting a PDK out for existing owners seems much more the mindset of a small company devoted to robotics, not a big business . . .

Junkroxy

• Renaissance pleo
  • Male
    • Pleo Blog
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2009, 03:38:54 AM »

It seems likely.  You gotta wonder.  If somebody like Mattel or Wow-Wee bought pleo, it would be all over the news.  Why does no one know any detail about who bought pleo?  Perhaps . . .   because the company wants to keep it hush-hush?  And why would a company want to keep secret that they bought pleo?   Again, any company of any size or stake in the toy or robotics industry would consider this a coup and tell the press, publicize the hell out of it.   My guess is that the buyer is therefore a small company that's not ready to handle public awareness.  And Vita Robotica is a robotics company that's trying to stay quiet . . .   ;) ;)

AND . . .  if what little they have leaked out includes the fact that they intend to release the PDK "in a few months" that implies they have the knowledge and skills to pick up where Ugobe left off and run with it.  Who better than the people who created pleo!   A big company (and I've worked in software development for some) like Wow-Wee or Mattel would take months just to get up-to-speed on the development of the PDK or the OS in order to even start looking at whether or not they even want to complete the work.  And I would think a big company wouldn't be pushing to get a PDK  out the door.  They would be looking at cranking up production and exploiting the existing technology on their own products to recoup as much of their investment as possible.   Getting a PDK out for existing owners seems much more the mindset of a small company devoted to robotics, not a big business . . .

Sorry Mweed, but i dont think that a company like Mattel (or maybe Hasbro) are the ideals for Pleo (A PDK released by them? Uhm... sounds really like a dream). They're simple toy big companys and stop! They arent like WowWee. If a big company like Mattel bought Pleo i dont think the PDk will see the light... Maybe Sony, or WowWee or another small company distributed from a big company, but not any normal toy company ;)

pleoplus80

• Member of the herd
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2009, 04:52:43 AM »

For sure the new owner is not the giant toy companies mentioned above.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2009, 06:03:52 AM »

Anyone but Wowwee  :o They would put a fluffy skin on Pleo and turn it into a creepy lion cub  :'( Oh the horror  :o

« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 06:41:50 AM by InmemoryofRomeo »
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

49er

• Journeypleo
  • Male
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2009, 07:40:03 AM »

To me it looks like an old man Pleo, complete with a few missing teeth. Or removable dentures perhaps? Yes, while Old Pleo sleeps he could have his teeth in a glass next to his bed! :o
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal