Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: how i found out about pleo  (Read 18497 times)

irbyma7297

• Pleo lightbringer
  • Female
how i found out about pleo
« on: September 27, 2012, 05:50:32 PM »

when i was young (7 0r 8, maybe nine) my mom got an email from a relative involving a santa claus who you could interact with and tell what to do. weeks later, i became bored, and wanted to play with it again. so, i went on to google, determined to find it, and typed in 'interactive' several hours, and several hundred pages later, i started reading the results (just the title) what i found : "fancy owning a dinosaur?" clicking on the link, i watched the video, falling in love with pleos. this was when pleos first came out, and i was dissappointed to find out that many people already knew about them, now, 4 years later, i finally got her XD so, by chance, i found the ultimate 'toy'!!!!

Derpity derp derp derp derp

nicholasljy123

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Male
Re: how i found out about pleo
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 01:26:50 AM »

I found out about them when I was 9. I read them from a young scientist's magazine(only in Singapore) and once I saw the article, I started madly cutting out pictures of pleo and pasting them on my room wall saying to myself: I am gonna GET one! P:)
Nicholas Jun Yi

Mystearika

• Head of the herd
  • Female
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 12:24:28 PM »

When i was around 12 years they were sending a program in the news about the robot dog Aibo. It seemed like magic for me that a machine could seem so lifelike. I dreamed about owning one. but it was only in the dreams i had no idea about where to get one, and the idea seemed impossible for me since it looked like something that would never be for sale for normal people.
 I also owned some robotic toys in my childhood, my favorites were the original Furby and the tamagotchi.

The Aibo faded into the back in my mind as i grow older. It is funny i remembered the Aibo in a dream
In it i were sorting out in a dead family members belongings. There were some dusty boxes with robots, The Aibo was there, Also a dinesaur, but i don,t remember how it looked and a very creepy robot child.
I decided to search the net for the dog, i could not remember its name so it was hard, i found a lot of toy dogs, on an discussion in the review part of some of Woowees robots, the people talked about Aibo and Pleo. I had found my dog and i searched for the pleo also since i was curious, i found a hatching video on youtube, it was really cute and the dino had that lifelike magic as the Aibo. Aibo was discontinued and too expensive second hand. But i was in love with pleo. I found many of the ugobes on ebay. and i researched on the net. i found this forum and decided to find an RB, cause the old one sounded fragile with the chance of broken necks and ruined skin. i was afraid that i could not get it repaired if it broke.

And then i got my cute RB Norbert :) 

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 08:29:12 PM »

60 Minutes? Program on TV...2008, I was 18. Immediately after the death of my mother. I instantly became enamored. The idea of a robot that could love you back was just far too unreal. I became glued to the internet for about a week (until the next payday ;-P) On that next Friday I traveled 60mi roundtrip to Sharper Image in Tampa. I fell in love with the demo model, and shortly there after had purchased my first Pleo. It was hell waiting that hour to get back up home. All I did was stare and pet, and take pictures of an inanimate 'toy' until I got home. Then for the painstaking hours I waited. I swear that was the longest three hours ever!! Then Dallas 1 was born. Love at first sight!
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 09:50:48 AM »

Some time in two thousand seven, I dragged out my Furbys and was wondering if Caleb Chung had either made further advances in the toy or if he was inventing anything new. Well I found pleo then but couldn't buy one. Finally in two thousand eleven, I found pleo RB and my thirtieth birthday was coming up. Need I say more? First I joined this forum in February of last year and then Ryu came into my life. A few months later, she called a few friends. Lol!
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Torterenek

• Fossil savant
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Teskus the baby Ugobe
    • Gilligan
    • Porky_Pig
    • Gonzo
    • Charlie_Brown
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 11:07:45 PM »

When i was in the 8th grade, i found a robotics book in the school library. I looked through the pages and found pleo. I looked up their site, and instantly wanted it. But it was so high priced, i knew i couldn't buy it. I saw when they sold the original, then forgot about it. I remembered it in october this year, and i found the youtube videos. Especially Imr's. I looked at pleo rb. It was even higher than the original. Now i am working hard to save for one as soon as possible. In my intro thread, i said how i wanted it.

irbyma7297

• Pleo lightbringer
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 07:22:02 PM »

XP i had a bit of dejavu for a second  ;D

tracytigress

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Female
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 08:12:21 AM »

I think it was few years ago, just at the time when Ugobe started having problems with their Pleo webpage and was close to bankruptcy. I have a habit of browsing a Finnish page for all kinds of weird gadgets and toys, they have stuff from small rubik's cubes to real looking Darth Vader outfits. While browsing I noticed them selling this cute looking dinosaur, and got curious after reading some more information.

Too bad around that time 500€ was little bit too expensive for me. I'm glad I remembered Pleos again few years later, otherwise I'd never found out they're back again, and upgraded!

irbyma7297

• Pleo lightbringer
  • Female
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 06:39:33 PM »

hehe. good story!  :P

Harper K

• Outstanding in the herd
  • Female
  • Furby expert, pleo lover
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 04:03:57 PM »

It was just a few weeks ago... I was looking at robot commercials,-long story. And I came across "Koda" the triceratops. I remembered wanting something like that when I was little, so I watched it. the commercial had something about "pleo" hhmmm, I had seen something about pleo in a robot book at the library so I thought "I'll see what this is about" I searched "pleo" on YouTube and thought "this is kinda cute, I wonder if I could get away with putting dragon wings on it" as I watched more videos, my curiosity growing, what I thought of it changed to "oh my gosh, this is so cool!" and then to "I want one" to"I really want one!" to "I NEED one!!!!" then I researched them nonstop! This Monday my pleo rb Pokey came in the mail. Now she knows how to walk! Er-kind of. heh heh :-[ ;) I hope I can fix the problem of her not working (at the moment)

And heh heh, I'll be looking in to the dragon wings
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:06:52 PM by Harper K »
Merry pleomas!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 05:13:31 PM »

You should speak to IMR about dragon wings! ;)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 09:13:46 PM »

Pleo's make very cuddly non scary dragons lol.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Torterenek

• Fossil savant
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Teskus the baby Ugobe
    • Gilligan
    • Porky_Pig
    • Gonzo
    • Charlie_Brown
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 11:01:08 PM »

I might want dragon wings for Teskus. :P

Junkroxy

• Renaissance pleo
  • Male
    • Pleo Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 03:05:30 PM »

I was in love with Pleo since I saw that promo video of the first demonstration. I started my own blog, the first and the only one in italian, and after 7-8 months i was very lucky to see Pleo (a)live for the first time, thanks to my blog.
I love furby and pleo, i love Caleb Chung and his fantastic vision of interactive pet and robotic companion. Around 2008-2009 i worked for the italian Pleoworld as a community manager. Best work in my life, my fav pet robot was the my job too. I was very happy, but sadly the dream ended with Ugobe bankruptcy. Pleo will be in my heart forever.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 06:07:56 PM »

These are all great stories and imagine being able to work for a Pleo STore! What fun that must have been...My story is a lot simpler, I knew nothing about robots and certainly nothing about Pleo, abios, etc. But I have allways loved dinosaurs and being a teacher for many years thought dinosaurs were the most fascinating creatures and a subject that you could build on for weeks with science projects, art, music, drama, etc, etc. Well, in 2009 my grandson was about 5 years old and I was looking for the best Christmas gift.

I sell and buy on ebay, since 2004, so when I saw Pleo, I thought that looked like fun. I got to meet my grandson, Jeremy for the first time when he and my daughter came to visit us at Christmas a couple of years before, when he was about 2  1/2 years old, I as astonished by how smart he was and how much he knew about Dinosaurs. He could name them all by seeing their pictures and knew more about them then I did when I was in my teens. He was eat, drink and sleep dinosaurs! :D P0:) So a few years later , (2009) I saw Pleo advertised on Ebay. I read the description and bought this what seemed like a very good bargain Pleo for only $85.00, complete, box etc.

I wanted to make sure before sending Pleo off to my grandson that it worked and was in good shape. Well, this Pleo was so cute and when I turned it on for the first time, I was Pleo smitten. I learned pretty easily though that Pleo was too advanced for most five year olds, and my grandson would have gotten bored or been too rough with Pleo. So I kept Pleo and I purchased D-REX for my grandson Jeremy, and he loved it. D-Rex was a lot more appropriate and the good thing is that it was remote control. With D=Rex's bone, he could MAKE him do what he wanted him do. Pleo does what he wants, based on how he is treated.

So the very first Pleo cost me $85.00, and that Pleo is still my favorite Pleo, the gorgeous broken necked special Ms. Nova, who has been on LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOng vacation in Southern Ca. Pleo is also contagious, and what started out as One little pleo, is now a whole Township , The Pleo Township of the Redwoods, 26 current members.. P??? P:-* P|-) P;) P0:) P:D P:) ;)

RWM :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Will Smart

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 09:33:58 PM »

Just recently, about 4 months ago, I was browsing an app on my iPad called 'Robots', when I came across the cutest, most loveable thing I had layed eyes on - Pleo. I did more research, and immediately became obsessed with pleo. I watched every Pleo related video on youtube and I read every single article about Pleo on the web. I finally came to the decision to buy one two weeks ago, and he just arrived today!

That's how I came to know about Pleo.

- Will Smart
Want to help me decide on a name for my green eyed pleo?
Msg me ideas, or you can choose from one of these four names:
Ashton, Jaden, Forrest, or Landen.
(He is a boy)

Icewolf

• Pleontologist
  • se Female
  • Pleo(s): Keyla and Léon
    • My deviantArt
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 03:59:39 AM »

The very first time I saw Pleo, it was in a magazine for High Tech stuff. And that was probably around 2005. I remember it was my sisters fiancé that showed it to me. I love robots and dinosaurs, so of course, I fell in love with Pleo at the first sight. Then later, 2006, I saw this clip on Youtube with the prototype version of Pleo. I almost died from cuteness back then, haha. I really, really wanted one. But to be honest, I thought that I would never get one. When I saw that video, I thought that Pleo would be super expensive. Well, he is a little expensive, but not as I expected it to be. I thought it was going to be as pricey as Aibo, haha :D I used to watch that clip over and over again, and show it to everyone I know, just to show how smart and cute Pleo was.

The years passed and I forgot a little about Pleo. I didn't completely forget about him, but I didn't think about it so much. So many things happened in my life so I had other stuff to think on! I got a boyfriend, moved away from my family and lived in my own. Then, the year 2009 me and my now fiancé, went to Toys "R" Us, just for fun, cause I still find it fun walking around toy stores and check out new toys. Then all of a sudden, I saw Pleo on a shelf! My eyes went this big O__O. I ran to the shelf and saw many green boxes stored up on the shelves and then the star standing inside a see through box. There were buttons you could push and Pleo would move and stuff. I have no idea how that worked to be honest, haha. I just pushed a button and Pleo would start moving and let out sounds. I looked for the pricetag, and noticed how cheap he was! In swedish currency the price was 999 crowns so that would be around 145,34 dollars. I made a puppyface to my fiancé but he said that we should save the money for more important things. And he was right, cause back then, we we're kind of broke.

Back at home, I couldn't stop thinking about Pleo! He was so cheap! If if didn't buy it now, I would regret it. So I was kind of sad knowing that I wouldn't be able to buy Pleo. My fiancé noticed that and as much as he hates seeing me sad he told me: "You know what? Lets buy Pleo!" He told me that if we bought him, the money we would have left was only be used for food, but nothing else. Bills were already paid. So next day we went back and bought him! We went back home and when Pleo was up and going, we both fell in love in him. 

Sometimes I have a little bad consience thinking about how we bought a Pleo for all of our money, haha. But we both were happy with the Pleo :)

Junkroxy

• Renaissance pleo
  • Male
    • Pleo Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 04:40:53 AM »

Back to my story, this is one of the very first models that i was lucky to see in person - a preview for my pleo blog - months before pleo came in stores in italy ( you can see his famous ugobe collar)  ;D
I was very excited at the time, but it wasn't possible to take the little guy with me (how sad!)...

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 04:42:31 AM by Junkroxy »

rjladya

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Female
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 01:04:58 PM »

A friend of mine had one of the ugobe pleos and when my son was older i re-found pleos this year about 2 months ago.
I live to create (paint, glass, metal, silver, wood, yarn, fabrics, leather, if you can think of it chances are i or a friend can make it for you.) what is life without art? oh yeah i'd be unemployed.

Antje

• Leaving the nest
  • Female
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »

I didn't know Pleo existed until three weeks ago. Than it was for sale at the iBood site. My husband see it and of course we had to have one. We love dinosaurs! :dino-chase:
And now I'm surrounded by a whole Pleo forum and Pleo world. :o ;D

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 06:24:27 PM »

Welcome to the Pleo Forum, I love dinosaurs but never knew anything about Pleos or robots, untill I happend upon Pleo by accident in 2009 when looking for a Christmas gift for my grandson who was CRAZY about them, This started a love affair that has only continued. Cant wait to see some photos.   RWM  :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

maagtablet

• Outstanding in the herd
  • Female
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 08:13:47 AM »

I didn't know Pleo existed until three weeks ago. Than it was for sale at the iBood site. My husband see it and of course we had to have one. We love dinosaurs! :dino-chase:
And now I'm surrounded by a whole Pleo forum and Pleo world. :o ;D

lol for me it was exactly the same!

I've always been a dinosaur fan! Especially T-Rex! They should totally make a T-Rex pleo! XD
RAWR! This means "I love you" in dinosaur.

Antje

• Leaving the nest
  • Female
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 03:11:43 PM »

Or a triceratops. ;)  P:-*

robodog

• Member of the herd
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): I don't currently have one but when I do his name will be Ludo
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Rowlf
    • Snoopy
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 01:01:26 PM »

I've been into robot pets since I got my first Furby in 1998. I often google for information on robot pets and during one of these searches I found out about Pleo. This was around when the first model was released. The fact that it was designed by one of Furby's co creators was enough to spark my interest. I love Furbys. Unfortunately the days when I could drop hundreds of dollars on robot pets were long gone. I had little hope of ever actually owning one.
But recently.I found out that the original models can sometimes be bought on eBay for under $300. I'll be paying off my house this year which will free up some cash so I'm hoping to.have my own Pleo by the end of the year.

jack box

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Camalee
    • Tasmanian_Devil
    • Miss_Piggy
    • Peppermint_Patty
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 11:51:11 AM »

haha, this is a good thread,
i'm brand new to pleos but when i was younger i went to the national history museum and they had a real life-like dinosaur (similar to pleo) asleep in a cage it was breathing and snoring, it was so cute, so at the time i tried looking for something similar, but i didn't find anything then weirdly allot of years later, last week i was surfing the net and came across a YouTube video of pleo and was like "it's the dinosaur!"  i was debating to get one for a couple of days (as there not cheap) then thought what the heck and have now got my little pleo on his way to me :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal