Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is innvo labs bringing out a new generation of pleo soon?  (Read 3814 times)

Star

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Female
Is innvo labs bringing out a new generation of pleo soon?
« on: May 21, 2012, 07:41:19 PM »

Hey, it's me again! Sorry for asking so many questions but if I'm gonna be buying one of these little guys I want to know everything I need to about them first. Before I go rushing into buying the pleo rb (which I think is the current model) I was wondering if innvo labs are working on a new generation of pleos yet. If so will there be a new pleo out soon? I'd really like to make sure I buy the newest version as this is a lot of money for me to spend and I am prepaired to wait if a new model is coming  out this year. Hope you can help! Extensive googing on the subject didn't help much :)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: Is innvo labs bringing out a new generation of pleo soon?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 08:04:56 PM »

No one knows for sure but it is extremely unlikely.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Star

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Female
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 01:03:58 PM »

Ok thanks, guess it looks like I'll be buying an rb then  ;D

barrettgazzy

• Apprentice pleo master
  • 00 Male
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 02:34:52 AM »

Disappointing that they can not keep moving forward with Pleo there was so much more potential there :-(

To be honest not once have i seen pleo RB advertised here in UK not on tv or anything so no wonder Innvo did not sell them like hot cakes all around the world , quite sure if they put pleo rb out there better then what they have done the sales for rb would be huge.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 08:48:46 PM by mweed »
2 ugobe Pleo's
1 Aibo 210 supercore
1 Aibo 220  :-)

denodan

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 01:15:53 PM »

Disappointing that they can not keep moving forward with Pleo there was so much more potential there :-(

But they can keep moving with Pleo, the way he is, by updating firmware food, and stones, etc. But they don't seem to bring out many firmware updates at all, is the problem, and seems no more packs, to expand his tricks, etc.

What I suggest they do in newer version is when taught tricks, he retains them in memory, I hear he does not remember a trick and have to reteach him the tricks over again.

Also Wifi, so we can see on a computer, tv, Portable gaming system, like Playstation vita, Nintendo DS, iphone/ipad, android smart phone, etc where we see what Pleo is seeing.

Instead of having to use touch sensors to get Pleo to learn and recognise his name, proper voice recogniton, you give him a name and recognises it, without the need to use any sensor, and learn tricks using voice commands, no need for stones, or touching sensors.

Peaches

• Pleontologist
  • Female
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 01:34:16 PM »

To be honest not once have i seen pleo RB advertised here in UK not on tv or anything so no wonder Innvo did not sell them like hot cakes all around the world , quite sure if they put pleo rb out there better then what they have done the sales for rb would be huge.

I've always thought this, I remember seeing the original Pleo in Argos once years ago but thats the only time I've see or heard of it around the UK. Most people I mention it too have no clue what a Pleo is or what its capable off.

Sadly I doubt a new Pleo is on its way out - well Im praying not as I dont get my RB till xmas & I'd like to to be the most recent model funny enough lol.
"She's not just a dinosaur, she's my best friend. I'll always love her & I promise to never ever leave her, cause I'd miss her too much & she'd miss me" - my son about Piper <3

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 01:38:49 PM »

Denodan please do at least a tiny amount of research before posting.

You only need the learning stones once to teach a trick (although if you go to a place with different acoustics you'll need to retrain) after that you need only give the command.

Touch sensors for the voice are only used to get the Pleo's 'attention' because the motors are quite loud and the voice recognition in its current form is not the greatest. But please take into consideration the price of Pleo compared to other robots with more advanced features. Pleo is a very cheap robot comparitatively.

I would also like to see more tricks and visual prompts like the cards, and I'd love to see more advanced features but Pleo does need to maintain the current price point to keep sales from falling to 'robot enthusiasts' only levels, which would be the death of Pleo :(

denodan

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 01:59:27 PM »

Pleo's price is going to rise, as more features are added. If people want more features, and many do, then I am afraid this will happen. If the price is kept down, then the Techology will get old very fast, and limit Pleo and sales will also fall off, but they have it about right at the moment, give a few years for prices of techology to come down, then use them in Pleo, so possiably if it is around every 4 years a new Pleo is made, he is half way there, so don't expect a new one anytime soon.

But one thing for sure is Pleo cannot remain at the present price point if more features are added.

Pleo is a great piece of technology, and packs a lot of it in for the price. What other Robot has so many features or can do what Pleo does? So he is already fantastic as far as robots go.

But really the biggest problem is the skin, and there needs to be a system where you can just buy a new skin and replace it yourself. That way you could buy costume skins. After all does not matter, if even you use clothes, as rubber breaks down in time, no matter how well you look after it.

Mind you, still have to old Pleo and his skin is still fully intact, but stretched in the neck and tail and looks slightly cracking, or the paint in these parts has cracked, as the paint is not flexible like the rubber.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 08:51:12 PM by mweed »

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 05:50:45 PM »

Innvo is currently offering re skins for Ugobe pleos but currently wont just send you a skin.  You need to send the pleo to them to do the skin and then they send it back.  Maybe we will see them let go a little more in time and reach a point where they will be willing to just ship out a skin for you to do yourself.
As for releasing more learning stones for tricks - they did just recently release a birthday card and Christmas card which makes pleo sing happy birthday or jingle bells.  I think before we see a new set of learning stones we may have to see an update for the OS.  The learning stones trigger off a pre programed sequence in the pleo so before we see new stones they will need to come up with a new os that contains new tricks to go with the stones.  Fingers crossed this is something they are working on at the moment and maybe we will see this sometime in the not too distant future.

I personally would like to see them look into a new type of dinosaur for pleo.  So rather than necessarily making improvements to the pleo design, keep it as it is but just change the shape a bit and give us a different type of dino like maybe a triceratops.  I think this could be done without compromising too much on the current price and if they were to go this way it would then give them some more time to work on a more expensive model pleo with all the extra wonderful features everyone wants.

denodan

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 08:25:04 PM »

I think the only way they will offer skins without having to send in your Pleo, is all those outside the USA to complain and all email them, for many of us it's just to impracticable to have to send in your Pleo to have it done, so the only way for skins to be sold is of us all to email them.

I am sure enough emails will make a difference. My Skin for my old Pleo is still pretty good, no rips, etc.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 10:43:52 PM »

Don't get me wrong Denodan, I'd just love to see a more advanced Pleo, but I think that Innvo would still need to keep a cheaper model around. Like some other robots that have a consumer version and a programmer version. I'm just not sure that even an advanced Pleo would be viable, they aren't very nimble robots and they aren't as fast as many other programmable bots.

denodan

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 10:54:37 PM »

They may well do that, as they develop Pleo, it's a fact of life he will cost more, so yes would make sense for them to keep a cheaper version of Pleo, but not sure if the newer RB Pleos are that much dearer when the first one came out.

For the money and what Pleo does, I don't think you can get better for your money, sure there are faster robots, but Pleo does so much more for the money. Your well getting your monies worth with Pleo, and contains a lot of technology and functions for the money.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 08:53:18 PM by mweed »

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
    • Ventriloquist - Ben and MJ
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 03:23:15 PM »

I agree. It's mind blowing what PleoRB does for the price. He's not an aibo and thankfully not a Genibo They're really quite amazing and it's a shame they don't advertise him more widely, but when you think about it advertising costs a heck of a lot of money and that would have to be reflected into it's price so could double the cost to consumers.

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 04:48:04 PM »

They do a lot of advertising for pleo in China and Hongkong.  He is now available to purchase there in toys R us stores and they now have their very own Pleo branded pleo rb holiday daycare stores as well - where you can leave your pleo to be babysat while you go away on holiday  :D  They also sell pleos and accessories from these stores.  They have him on the sides of buses there too and on billboards. And I'm sure when pleo rb first came out they had him on TV there too - I think he had a regular spot on a kids program once a week.  So they are doing advertising for pleo, just not outside of the Asia region as yet. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal