Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My pleo is not working properly and makes a ticking noise?????  (Read 3649 times)

finleypleo

• Hatchling
  • Male

Hi,
Please help :(
My son has a Pleo which he adores but it has recently stoped moving properly. Even with a fully charged battery he doesnt seem to be moving much (if atall) He also makes a ticking noise. When he is turned on he makes a little noise and seems to keep repeating  that noise over and over again. Im not sure what to do and my son is so worried about his little friend. He is one of the original Pleos and we have read that the battery can cause problems???
Any advice would be greatly appriciated :-*

thank you!!

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: My pleo is not working properly and makes a ticking noise?????
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 01:16:19 PM »

Hi, sorry to hear about your son's battery in his Pleo. First of all, it could be the battery, you may need a new one, esp if it is an original green one. If it is just the battery dying, then that is the good news. On the other hand, since he is "an original" have you had him for a long time? If so, it could be the Pleo is "wearing out" of old age. I have an original Pleo, Argyle who is  also blind and can not open his mouth. Argyle also is having problems even with a New battery in that he makes strange sounds and his movenments are very slow and his tail will not be in sync with how fast it should be and almost stop and start. Does that sound familiar? Of course there are other possibilities and I think the very best answer would be if you could post a short video of a fully charged battery in your son's Pleo, that would give the best result to what the problem may be.                                   RWM
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

finleypleo

• Hatchling
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 01:26:12 PM »

Thank you so much.
We have had him aprox 4/5 years...it was the christmas when Pleos were very first released.
We have never changed his battery and yes it is the green one so i think i should defiantly try a new one.
Where do i buy one from?
I will upload a video of him a little later....

Thanks sooooooooo Much.
 :-*

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 01:36:44 PM »

90% of Pleo issues are caused by bad batteries. And it does sound like your little fella just doesn't have the juice to start up anymore. You can get a new white 'egg' battery (also called a Ucube battery) which will not only solve your battery problem but it will run for twice as long as the green batteries. You can buy those here on the forum under the stores tab, or you can get them off eBay.

How long does your green battery take to charge by the way, does it take four hours? Battery issues are usually preceded by reduced charging times as the battery loses memory.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

finleypleo

• Hatchling
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 01:47:49 PM »

I really hope the problem is just the battery...it does sound like it is :D
We have just put the battery on charge (it is faint red)
I am going to time how long it takes to go green.
Can we use the new egg battery in the old pleo??

many thanks  :-*

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 02:11:24 PM »

As has been said, it does sound like a battery issue - I've bought several non-functioning Pleos that did exactly as you describe - all that was needed was a new battery.

The egg charger batteries do work in the original Pleo, and very well - they are far superior to the original green NiMH battery - I run all mine on li-poly egg batteries.  Charge quicker, last longer and give Pleos a boost!  :D

finleypleo

• Hatchling
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 02:48:44 PM »

Great News!!!!
we charged the battery and after 40 mins it was green...i am so pleased to say Pleo is working just fine now  ;D
Plenty of movement,energy and noise :-* we are s happy.
My boy is ecstatic....we have turned him off now (its bedtime for my son!) but i will keep an eye on him...see how long he lasts on his newly charged battery.
Thank you so much for all your help.xxx

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 03:23:21 PM »

glad your pleo seems to be up and running again.  :)  It might be a good idea to grab yourself a new battery sooner rather than latter so that you will have a fresh one ready when this one gives up completely.  If it only took 40mins to charge it sounds like it isn't going to last for much longer.  %)  Better and easier to have a spare battery than an upset child  :D :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 03:23:46 PM »

With the green batteries, when the light goes green it's well worth shoving them back in to see if it will charge some more.  Don't let them get too hot, though.

Glad you got some runtime out of it! :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal