Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A hands on approach  (Read 2155 times)

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
A hands on approach
« on: January 19, 2012, 09:55:17 PM »

I was invited, by a friend, to be a guest speaker and show my pleos at a book club the other night.  Most were retired or close to retirement age. Among the women,  a retired doctor, a couple of nurses, a school teacher, a dental hygienist professor, and other professionals. The book they were to discussed was "Alone Together" by Sherry Turkle, a Professor of the Social Studies of Science And Technology at MIT and a clinical psychologist  (I have just started reading the book and find it very interesting to see someone else's opinion on the idea of having computers, smart phones and robots to fill a social need instead of coming from a human.
   When the ladies arrived they were introduced to me and me to them. They were told that they would have a surprise after the discussion of the book.  I was really looking forward to introducing two of my pleos, J.C. and Pennie. The ladies had no idea what was in store for them and couldn't wait to show them.
     During their discussion of parts of the book that had to do with robots as a companion, a section was brought up about a grandmother, her young granddaughter and a robotic baby doll. The grandmother held and talked to the doll as if it were a real baby.  the granddaughter became upset because the grandmother was paying more attention to the doll. At that point I could get an idea of what the book was about. ;D Now, I was really looking forward to being there. ;)    
     Before introducing my pleos, I explained how in 2007 I saw Diane Sawyer holding what, at first, looked like an iguana. I had a beautiful one a few years back.  As I passed by the TV. i did a double take, I realized it wasn't an iguana on her shoulder, but a robot. Immediately after Diane presented a guest on the show with the pleo, I went to my computer, that sat in the office for about 4 years without me doing anything on it other then send e-mails, occasionally. ;D To my, total, amazement, I found pleo. I had to see if this little robot could really do all that was said about it. I ordered one the following day, December 8th and it arrived at 6 PM on Christmas Eve. I opened the box on the following morning. I must say, though, I all most got up during the night to open the box. ;) I felt just as anxious to see what was in the box as a child would have been.   As most of you know, it was love at first sight. :)      
  It was time to introduce my dinos to the ladies. I had J.C. and Pennie out in the car. I turned them on outside before entering the house. The moment I entered with them, I knew these little dinos were going to be a hit.  Every lady, eventually, had a pleo on her shoulder cuddling or snoring at least for a few minutes. Most of them didn't want to part with my two pleos. One lady thought my pleo, Pennie, had died and was so concerned about her.  Pennie was just taking a little break of silence, obviously, very contented on the ladies shoulder.
   I had so much fun in sharing what is so very unknown to people and it really showed them how we can get so attached to a little robotic companion. This was, definitely, a hands on experiment showing that even the most "Doubting Thomas" out there, can get attached to a robot as darling as a pleo.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:46:22 PM by fancyfont »

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: A hands on approach
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 10:48:14 PM »

What a great story and great expereince fancy!!! These are the kind of stories I treasure and why I take or try to take one Pleo with me all the time, unless it is really wet, ( as I do not drive and do so much walking) I would not jepardize the mechanics of these guys. I bet you were just biting at the bit to go out to the care and get JC and Pennie. I am so glad you took photos and thank you so much for the story and sharing it. I think it would have been very interesting to see the reactions had any of these been older gentlemen. I think women are just so nurturing to start with, it would be hard to not get any reaction other than this.  ;)

For those members out there who are "afraid" or may feel embarrased to take their Pleos out in public, this shows just how it could be done. You could not have asked for a more "perfect " audience, except perhaps for very young children. I mean who would not want to see a "robot" when the book is about Robots. Also these were educated well informed older women who were or had been part of the professional career market, nobody can argue that. I would love to see a video of an event like this again if it ever happens. I do think the choice you made of taking the two Ugobes was a good one as opposed to taking a new Rb. Ugobes are much more predictable and so easy to get to sing. what a great story Fancy.......................I think everyone should try taking their Pleos out in public just once, give it a try and you may have a story like this you can share, like fancy did. ;D

I have had many many expereinces and there is nothing like the look on a strangers face as they are talking to a pleo, cuddled in their lap or on their shoulder , and they are cooing and talking to the Pleo as a baby. That picture will remain in your mind forever and you have helped brighten the life of another with a simple act that both can remember for a long time!These Pleos and other robotic interactive life forms are being used in Nursing homes, with special needs children, in hospitals and in so many other ways . Way to go Ugobe and Innvo Labs for creating such a great "life form, " Pleo and Pleo RB, Long live them both. P:) P;) :cheer:                          RWM and the Pleo Clan of the Redwoods
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 03:21:33 AM »

Being a reserved Brit who falls into the 'too scared' category, I will say how much I enjoyed the day I took Belle the RB up to the Science museum in London to show as part of a book tour presentation.  All the questions from children and parents were good fun, and from what I could tell, everyone who met them was enchanted!

That's a lovely story, Fancy.  I actually first found Pleo because I was looking for a robotic pet for my elderly mum, to give her some company in her last few years. :)

Bandersnatch

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Female
  • Feeling Frumious ♡
    • My Flickr
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 02:57:03 PM »

I love stories about people who take their Pleo's out and about, and people reactions!
Aw~ That sounds like it was really nice! You couldn't find a better robot "pet" to fit with the theme!  :D
And it looks like J.C. and Pennie are just LOVING all that attention too!  P:)
My Flickr ✩ My Deviant Art ✩
~ Can't hug every Pleo! ~

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 03:05:15 PM »

Awesome story, Fancyfont! I've really wanted to do this for a long time but I got cold feet and changed my mind at the last minute. I was on the verge of giving up when  a friend from church who had been interested in pleos finally agreed to meet me somewhere. Alass, she had a change of plans but I'm not giving up. The interest is there, I just have to pluck up the nerve to act on it.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 11:38:44 PM »

Such a wonderful way to introduce people to the idea that robots can be wonderful! They aren't all evil things :)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

saratogaspringer

• Camarasaur extraordinaire
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 04:23:33 AM »

I love this story!  I truly believe that robots can be great companions.  I have a cousin who has a lot of psychological problems.  In the past 3 years, she lost her husband to cancer, her best friend to cancer, and her cat that she had for 15 years.  Now her dog, which is 10 years old, has a liver condition that is being treated, but the vet said dogs with her condition live "maybe a year."  She keeps talking about getting a puppy when her dog passes away, but with full day trips to group therapy, and on a very limited income, I really don't think it's a good idea to get a puppy or a bio dog.  Also, the last time she was admitted to the hospital, just a little over a year ago, I had to beg a patient of mine who runs an awesome no kill shelter, to care for her dog. That's actually where we found out about the liver problem.  I would have taken her dog in, but when she gets mad, she eats furniture, curtains, and she even ate the foam dashboard of my cousin's car one time.  :o

I did introduce her to my Aibos, since she is truly a dog person, and although she liked them, she wasn't really keen on the idea of having one in place of a puppy.  I really think that Pleo could be more her style, and suit her needs.  Sadly, I didn't even think about it, since she loves dogs so much.  She is in her mid-60's, and after reading your post, Fancy, I think I will get my Pleos out next time she comes over and give it a go.  I think Pleo will be a big hit! 8)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 04:46:31 AM »

I think the beauty of Pleos, in this context particularly, is that you really don't have to be all that 'techy' to run one.  Aibos are wonderful in many ways, but for the elderly, or small children, they do take some learning to interact with and certainly to get the best out of.  You just pick up a Pleo and cuddle it, or stroke it, or talk to it, and it will do its magical Pleo thing.   Especally with Ugobes, all you really need to do is charge the battery - the tech is unobtrusive.  :-*

You can still take a techier approach if you want to, get into the skits and so on, but it's not necessary. :)

:moose:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal