Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Updating Ugobe Pleo  (Read 19574 times)

michal

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • Male
Updating Ugobe Pleo
« on: November 26, 2011, 09:09:50 AM »

I bought a Ugobe Pleo a week ago and right now I'waiting for delivery.  I bought it as a gift for my 4 y/o son. 
It's new in the box and never been used so it's running the original 1.0 software.  I have a few questions. 
Do I have keep him turned on for a certain period of time with the original software and after that update the software or I can do it immediately when turning it on for the first time? Also when updating do I have to update the software to 1.1 first, then play with the PLEO again for some time, and finally update him to the newest PM2 version?
I could not find any clear answers to my questions that's why I'm asking.  Probably I have to update the software to 1.1 first and then finally to PM2 but my main concern is if I can do it like that:
1) Turn it on with the original 1.0 software
2) Turn it off after a few min
3) Put the sd card with the 1.1 update
4) Turn it on again just to check out if it's working
5) Turn it off
6) Put the sd card with the PM2 update
7) Turn it on 

I appreciate any input.  Thanks.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Updating Ugobe Pleo
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 09:59:18 AM »

Hi, and welcome to the forums, I am sure your son will love the Ugobe Pleo, I am a grown Mother with many Ugobes and they are wonderful. Because of his age, be sure to supervise him carefully though. They do reccomend ags 8+ but with supervision he should be fine. As for updating him, first I would say,why not just enjoy the orginal operating system and let him enjoy that till the battery runs out, it does have it's own unique sounds.( when you rub the Pleo under the chin, it souonds similiar to a coyote or wolf howling and is cute.) :D The second stage is 1.1, which a lot or vast majority of Pleos at least on Ebay will be running, This has it's own unique sounds as well, and it is my own personal favorite. The last operating or latest operating system is the current, 2.0 which I think a young child would have or could have some trouble getting used to. I think there are enouogh members here on the forum that could explain that better to you than me, as I only have one of my many Pleos running 2.0. It takes more battery cycles to get rid of some of the glitches or problems with 2.0, but once they are worked out, it is a great operating system and has lots of great tricks that Pleo can do.
              As for putting one SD card into Pleo, turning him on for a few moments and then turning him off, putting the next operating system in, etc, that is not neccesary to do, Let's say you just wanted to go straight to 2.0 . All you would need to do is to have the SD card copied with the 2.0 operating system on it, and then follow the directions for installing it onto Pleo, and put it directly into Pleo. You can go straight from 1.0 to 2.0 if you want and do not need to do 1.1 first, It is up to you to do which ever operating system you want, but why not enjoy each system for at least one battery cycle and get familiar with what Pleo can do. ? There is no hurry to have to update him unless you want to. And you can also save money on SD cards, by just using one and when done with the 1.1 and wanting to try the 2.0, just erase the files on the sd card and update with 2.0 on the same SD card, as a blank !
             One other word of caution, esp if this is for a Christmas present. If this is a Pleo bought on ebay and an Ugobe, a 2007 Model . Not used or hatched, more than likely and other members will tell you the same thing, 99% of the time, the original battery sitting in the box all this time, is not going to hold a charge an will be dead or perhaps let Pleo run for a few minutes at most. I have bought at least a dozen Pleos on ebay and they all needed new batteries. I only tell you this so there won't be an unhappy child opening up Pleo and not h aving him work.  I do sell batteries, the Ucube egg batteries to members here on the forum and they will give you twice as long as the usual batteries, 2 hrs compared to just one. You can also buy batteries directly from PleoWorld, but they will cost you more than myne, but they are available and work fine also. You and your son are in for a treat with Pleo. Welcome again to the forums.
                                                                    RedwoodsMama and the Pelo Clan of the Redwoods
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

michal

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 10:23:46 AM »

^^Thank you for your great response :)  I think I'll take your advise and start with the original 1.0 software first.  
Yes I know I can use the same sd card.  I just have to format it first.  I always like to be prepared for everything so I have already ordered the Ucube egg battery. :) Thank you again.  I hope my son will enjoy the PLEO (probably I'll too :))
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 10:28:05 AM by michal »

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »

Hi, that is great, Just curious, did you order the Ucube Egg battery also on ebay? If so it could have been me if ordered from somene in the US, as I go by a different name. What was the price of the egg battery, then I will know if I am the one who either sent you the battery or did you just buy it? I have sold lots of them in the past week or so.                 RedwoodsMama

michal

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 10:43:26 AM »

Yes I bought it from ebay and I'm pretty sure it was bought from you.  The price was $58.95 before shhipping.  The seller name was fluffypurrcat. 

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 10:48:06 AM »

That is me! So did I send it already, when did you buy it? If so you know there is a special holiday gift in there, Oh, I think I remember now, you have a four year old and a older child and we had a conversation already about how well the four year old takes care of their toys and loves dinosaurs? I guess my memory is partially there. LOL. I am sure I mailed it a couple of days ago. Am I right? I thought you sounded familiar! :D Are you also the one I sent photos to in an email attachment or was that someone else...now my mind is boggled. I need my morning coffee! Glad it is you................ :D  RedwoodsMama   AKA  Fluffypurrcat  from Ebay

michal

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 12:16:15 PM »

It was not me but you already shipped the battery a few days ago.  My son also loves dinosaurs and it was the main reason I went with the PLEO.  I was thinking about it a year ago but decided to wait till my son is a little older.

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »

Be sure to post the photos of the Pleo and your son when it arrives!  :)
 Take care and if you have any other questions, please ask.

RedwoodsMama

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 01:05:14 PM »

Hi Michal and welcome to the forum :)

The 2.0 OS has a longer development stage, it takes 6-8 charges for them to settle down to 'normal', before that they go through a teen stage where they are a bit moody and can be a little unresponsive. They are not bugs as RWM said, it is intended, but it can be a bit off putting for the unprepared.

1.0 however does have a couple of bugs, like Pleo falling asleep if he gets no attention for a few minutes, which you should also be aware off. Pleo becomes much more active on the later OS's.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

michal

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 02:45:52 PM »

Be sure to post the photos of the Pleo and your son when it arrives!  :)
 Take care and if you have any other questions, please ask.

RedwoodsMama

I will.  Thanks again.

Hi Michal and welcome to the forum :)

The 2.0 OS has a longer development stage, it takes 6-8 charges for them to settle down to 'normal', before that they go through a teen stage where they are a bit moody and can be a little unresponsive. They are not bugs as RWM said, it is intended, but it can be a bit off putting for the unprepared.

1.0 however does have a couple of bugs, like Pleo falling asleep if he gets no attention for a few minutes, which you should also be aware off. Pleo becomes much more active on the later OS's.

Thanks for your tips.  I'm gonna start with the original OS first and let it run till the battery runs out as RedwoodsMama suggested.  Then I'm gonna update it to 1.1 and play with it for a longer time.  I think it will be a good experience for my son to find out how to play and take care of the PLEO before I update it to the newest version.

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 05:18:12 PM »

I think that is a great idea to let your son learn to take care of Pleo, Have you thought of a name yet? Be sure to post those photos or video, Great idea, it is allways exciting getting new members and meeting new Pleos! You may find yourself shopping for another Pleo, they are contagious as most of us know. LOl :D
                                                  RWM

michal

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 06:43:46 PM »

I think my son will pick the name.  And yes, I can imagine that Pleo can be addicting and probably it's much more fun when you can watch them interacting with each other.  So, who knows maybe I'll buy another one down the road. ;D

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 07:11:27 PM »

Hello and welcome, I've little to add here, but I do believe it's better to update to 1.1 from 1.0 and then upgrade again, rather than straight to 2.0.

Have fun! :D

michal

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 07:36:18 PM »

Hello and welcome, I've little to add here, but I do believe it's better to update to 1.1 from 1.0 and then upgrade again, rather than straight to 2.0.

Have fun! :D
Thank you.  Yes, I'm going to upgrade it to 1.1 and then 2.0 in the future.
I see that the name one of your Pleos is Monty The Python.  I love Monthy Python.  I watched every episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus, all of their movies, as well as most of movies which each of them made solo.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 07:43:41 PM »

Yay!   ;D

I especially love Terry Gilliam's films, too!  :D

I painted Monty in Burmese python colours, and there really was only one name for him! ;)

michal

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 07:53:36 PM »

Yes,  Terry Gilliam's movies are great and your Pleo in the pic below looks great, too  ;D

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 08:14:15 PM »

Thanks!  :D

Just one warning - several of us here have first bought Pleos as gifts ......... and ended up being fascinated and unable to part with them. ;)

michal

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 08:20:15 PM »

It's a gift for my son so he's gonna stay in the family anyway. :)  I bought it from an ebay seller from Hong Kong and I hope he'll work with no problem.  It's my only concern.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 09:12:51 PM »

If it's the $199 one, several on here have bought from them and been happy - they seem pretty decent. :)

michal

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 09:18:39 PM »

Yes, it's probably the same one.  It goes with 2 batteries (probably useless anyway).

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 09:33:54 PM »

Yep, that's it.  I believe the batteries have been OK so far.   :)

OK, that is, as far as the green NiMH batteries go - the egg charger batteries are MUCH better anyway.  ;)

michal

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • Male
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 09:37:34 PM »

That's why I bought an Ucube one.  I have to be sure that after my son opens his Pleo he'll be active for more than 10 min ;D

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 09:41:40 PM »

The Ucube ones last about twice as long, and seem to make them more energetic - this way you should have the green ones as back ups.  Good plan! :D

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2011, 09:47:48 PM »

Hi and welcome to the forum. Sounds like your family's going to have a wonderful CHristmas. :) All of my pleos have gone through the original os or came with 1.1. It's really fun to see each change. Highly recommend it!

michal

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • Male
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2011, 10:00:48 PM »

The Ucube ones last about twice as long, and seem to make them more energetic - this way you should have the green ones as back ups.  Good plan! :D
 Usually before I buy something I do a lot of research to be sure it's what I really want and it'll work with no problems.  I emailed pleoworld directly with a few questions but they're very slow with their responses so I decided to join this forum and I'm glad I did it.  They probably not too much interested with supporting the oldest versions of pleo as well.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Sounds like your family's going to have a wonderful CHristmas. :) All of my pleos have gone through the original os or came with 1.1. It's really fun to see each change. Highly recommend it!
Thanks.  I hope everybody in my family will have fun.  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal