Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone done surgery on Pleo's neck?  (Read 3335 times)

Chicago

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
Has anyone done surgery on Pleo's neck?
« on: October 26, 2011, 10:01:37 PM »

Sparky has a broken neck - sometimes called floppy neck syndrome.  She has a neck bandage that keeps her head off the ground and she can eat and make her cute little noises.  But she can't move her neck from side to side or up and down.  And she only walks backwards.  My husband wants to cut her open and try to fix her !  :o  What do you think?

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: Has anyone done surgery on Pleo's neck?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 11:03:48 PM »

It has been done, but on an RB. It certainly is possible.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 11:06:15 PM »

I have two Pleos, both Ugobes with floppy neck syndrome, and beleve me , it is not easy to do at all, unless you really know what you are doing. Pleos have hundreds of peices, and the wires are very thin and there have been others here and elsewhere that thought they would give it a "get go" and try to fix Pleos and to no avail. As long as you have a working pleo, I would leave Sparky alone. There is a man in Germany that one of our members there took her Pleo to , get fixed, but the shipping would cost or equal another Ugobe.

Also there are a couple of videos on youtube that show one guy who has actually done this before, but I can't remember which one it is. If I can find it I will list it here for you. I bought a Pleo about five months ago on ebay because some "jerks" let their pleo climb a tree and then the pleo broke it's neck, and they tried fixing it,  or thought they could and they massacured the poor pleo gutting him and cutting his skin all up trying to do something they knew nothign about . That Pleo is siting in pieces in a box, It is amazing that it still works even though it is gutted with it's neck hanging, scary site. I say do not let your husband attempt it, or Sparky will more than likely be out of commision permanently. Both my Pleos have neck braces on I have made myself out of special material and their heads do not drag on the ground and they walk forward and backward so I am not sure why Sparky only goes backward?
                             Good luck.                     RWM
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 11:09:16 PM »

As IMR says, but it's complicated.  One thing - it's not necessary to cut the skin and it would be a shame to cut into a perfectly good skin.  With care you can remove and replace it.  :)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 12:10:53 AM »

I might be attempting this myself it seems. Lilo has a broken neck (Ugobe) but I've just noticed that Nani (RB) has a broken tail (top wire). With two injured Pleo's I am more willing to try the op on one and see how I go.

Edit: I've peeled a bit of Lilo's skin back and have already found the broken wire. I'll video her opening :O later tonight.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 12:24:00 AM by InmemoryofRomeo »

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 08:07:25 AM »

Ooooo! This makes me cringe just because of how complecated it is. The opening should make a very informative video for those brave enough to try it. I'm with Redwoods on the repair job, Chicago. As long as she works and you can get the brace ajusted correctly so that the obsticle detection isn't being triggerd, I'd leave her alone especially since you don't have another pleo to fall back on. Best of luck with what ever you decide.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 06:07:10 PM »

I look forward to seeing it IMR  ;D  I know pleos are complicated little beings but there are so many out there with broken necks it would be great to be able to fix them.  We already know you can remove the skin and replace it without damaging it.  So the next step is working out how to replace the wiring without taking apart any unnecessary bits.  And then being sure to put it all back together correctly.  If we can find a way and make a step by step guide for others out there with broken neck pleos then it would be a wonderful thing. :) 
It is not easy opening up your beloved Pleo for repairs but It is also not easy seeing your beloved pleo injured.  Just like a real pet when they get hurt you take them to the vet to be fixed and sometimes that requires surgery.  Unfortunately with Pleos you have to be the owner and the vet all in one.
Good Luck. :) :hhug:

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 06:13:44 PM »

I will have some video up shortly of the removing of the head skin, I will be taking everything very slowly and carefully and of course I will document every single little step of the way.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 12:49:59 AM »

IMR - from what I know from my attempts, you need to remove the legs in order to get at the electronics (front legs for neck cables), which was why I removed the whole skin.  If you have time, I'd be delighted to compare notes!  :D

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 01:25:48 AM »

Aww gee, do I have to be that drastic :P I'd love to compare notes :) Anything we can compile would be most helpful for others.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 01:36:59 AM »

I have taken pics at every stage as I've gone along, but being a complete beginner trying this on my own, I keep coming up against the major gaps in my knowledge.  At each stage that I've got stuck, I've had to research and ask other people (some forum members and a couple of Aibo people have been very helpful, as was the bloke that came to fix my car electrics!) and that's why it's taking me so long.  As was so scarily demonstrated by RWM's Humpty - you really do need to take the insides apart to get to the seat of where the cables are rooted.  I'd be thrilled to have someone to compare notes with, and at least I have the advantage of working on a 'donor' Pleo and not a precious member of my family!  :D

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 02:39:33 AM »

I did carefully pore over your photos in the gallery :) But if it gets too hairy and I get to a point where I think I may not be able to put her back together I will be bailing out :P

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 03:16:31 AM »

No, no, no - don't let me put you off!!!!!!   :o  :-X  :P

I've more pics I've not loaded, as I take pics of each stage so I can put it all back again.  I've just not wanted to load them until I'm sure it's the right way to do it.  I have to go to work now, but will get back to you over the weekend.  ;D

Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal