Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dead Pleo - 1.1 update not completing - Merged  (Read 5240 times)

Margery

• Fossil savant
  • england Female
  • Pleo(s): Drem, Marsha
Dead Pleo - 1.1 update not completing - Merged
« on: September 23, 2011, 03:15:18 PM »

I bought a Pleo on Ebay and from the chin test realise it has not been updated to 1.1

I have followed the instructions and put in the SD card.  There have been several chimes but now nothing and it's been over a quarter of an hour.  I don't know what to do.  Should I turn it off?

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: Update 1.1 not completing - help
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 03:37:30 PM »

Did Pleo curl up into the sleep position? If so him/her has updated. Of course try removing the card and turning him/her on first, it may not have installed correctly or it may have.

If not try redownloading the file, reformat the memory card and try it again.

If you go to turn your Pleo on and nothing at all happens download the POP (point of purchase) OS and install/run that in your Pleo then install 1.0 and then try 1.1 again running Pleo for a charge in between each.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Margery

• Fossil savant
  • england Female
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 03:44:29 PM »

Thanks for reply - no she didn't make a noise or curl up she is still standing still and is switched on but it looks like I'll have to switch off and try what happens.  She is pre-loved.  I'm not sure what you mean by the point of purchase OS.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 04:56:32 PM »

You will find it here in the downloads section, I had to use it on Lilo after a failed update and she stopped working. It basically completely wipes the regular OS and let's you start over.

Good luck, I hope you don't need to go that far.

Margery

• Fossil savant
  • england Female
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 12:59:59 AM »

Thank you very much for your advice. 
Your instructions are very clear and I think that is what we'll have to do.
 My husband wants to buy a new SD card just in case that is faulty.

I suspect Lilo is extra loved after you went through that.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 03:37:27 AM »

Lilo is still my extra special girl :)

Margery

• Fossil savant
  • england Female
Dead Pleo
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 03:38:58 AM »

I've searched the Forum via Google and found the posts about Lilo having POP os installed.  IMR had advised yesterday about what to do when 1.1 update failed.  I have put POP os on card and The Pleo does make a noise after about half a minute.  We left for over a minute and then switched off and removed card but Pleo still dead when switched on.

Is this the end?

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Dead Pleo
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 03:50:50 AM »

I would think that now you would need to try reinstalling os 1.1?
I'm not sure but I think the pop just wipes the pleo clean ready for installing the os.
Hopefully someone with more experience in this can clarify this for you.

Margery

• Fossil savant
  • england Female
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 03:52:59 AM »

Thanks for reply. 
As I understand it the POP os is the demo mode for shops.  Lilo posts talk about the Pleo being very lively and making sounds not heard before.

I think we've had it.  :(

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 04:42:27 AM »

Kat's right - now the next stage would be to try downloading and installing OS 1.0.2 or OS 1.1.  Make sure your battery is fully charged before you start.  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 04:44:00 AM by Crewella »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 07:32:26 AM »

Do not try the update, I think you may have a battery or other issue. After the POP your Pleo shouldn't be silent and not moving, they should be very lively as the point of the POP is to show them off, I'm not sure it even installed. Trying an update at the moment will likely not achieve anything.

Is your battery charging for four hours? The green batteries are very old and they can go bad quite quickly. If the battery is not charging for at least three hours then try taking it off the charge when the light goes green and then reseat it again, you may have to do this a few times. Also try sitting a heavy book or similar on top of the battery when charging it. A dying battery can also cause this sort of problem that you are describing.

Also have you tried running a skit, any skit at all, if the skit runs then that would mean your battery and SD card are fine which means we can resume looking at software problems.

Finally Lilo has also suffered a glitch where sometimes she did not run straight away but sort of shuddered at first. Sometimes I had to turn her off and on a few times before she would actually wake up. That issue was fixed with the purchase of a new battery.

So try these steps:
1) Watch the battery charge and make sure it is charging for at least three hours, even if you have to keep taking it off and putting it back on charge.
2) Try a skit.
3) Try switching your Pleo off and on a few times giving a minute or so on before switching off again.
4) Try leaving the battery in and your Pleo on for a good fifteen twenty minutes (Also worked on Lilo sometimes)
5) Consider buying a new battery or if someone lives nearby with a Pleo borrowing one to test.

Margery

• Fossil savant
  • england Female
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 08:17:37 AM »

I'm so grateful for all the help.  Thank you for taking the time to deal with this.

The green batteries I'm using came with my new Ugobe Pleo who arrived on 5th September this year (from the Hong Kong Company charging $199)  They have seemed fine and are charging for around 3 - 3 and half hours.  That Pleo, Drem, runs just fine on them - good play time - just over an hour I think although I haven't measured scientifically.  I'm not using the battery which came with the pre-loved Pleo - it only charged for a short time so I'd thought I'd deal with that later.  (The seller said it was no good - only a few minutes play)  The pre-loved Pleo operated fine on my batteries it was just that I wanted both Pleos on the same operating system so they would communicate.

I've just completely discharged a battery in Drem so when it cools down I'll charge it as you say - I always note when the charging starts but being distressed last night I got a little muddled with one green battery.

I've nothing to lose now trying the whole thing again.

May I ask with the POP os installation - is there a starting noise or only a finishing noise?  The first time we tried there was a noise after half a minute, the second time just after a few seconds.  We left the card in for over a minute each time but no further noise was made.  The battery I've just removed from Drem was the one I used and Drem has run on the remainder for a good long time.

I haven't tried a skit.  I wasn't sure about them.  Don't they need an operating system?  I assumed they were like a program running on a computer.

Thanks again

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 08:18:47 AM »

I defer to IMR's very good advice!  :D

Margery

• Fossil savant
  • england Female
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 08:28:05 AM »

Thanks, Crewella.  I'm just grateful for the all the attempts to help.  It makes one feel less alone. (Well I have my husband but he doesn't know Pleos)

For IMR:

We've just tried skits.  Unfortunately the first one was Love Me Tender which worked a bit (not the full thing in your video) but left the Pleo in a crouching position.  We then tried Welcome to my World because it is a standing position but that didn't work at all.  We obviously have one poorly Pleo

Should I try an OS thing now because the Pleo is in the wrong position and I read a serious warning about needing to be in the packing position.  The Pleo button doesn't work even when the skit was running.

Edit: bought new card and tried the Welcome skit again which worked pretty well - some movements not like video but did go all the way through and ends in packing position I think, so switched off then.

Battery was 10 minutes short of 3 hours so let it cool and tried again.  Need to cool and try once more - should be enough then I hope - over 3 hours.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 12:56:23 PM by Margery »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 03:06:56 PM »

That is good news that the skit is working :) Sorry that I'm not here to help much, unfortunately we live on opposite sides of the planet so I seem to be going to bed on you lol.

I think you will have to retry installing POP via the SD card, use the card that worked better and try a couple of times if you have to. I am guessing at the moment your Pleo is stuck somewhere between 1.0 and 1.1 :( However, try the 1.1 upgrade first, you may just get lucky and have it work with the new card :) at this point there is nothing to lose by trying.

Finally we have the last resort option.
Do you have the USB cable? If you have the USB cable I think it will be worthwhile trying an update that way. You can find the download here: http://bobthepleo.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=11 if you are using windows 7 and it won't run then you will need to right click the file you download and under properties>compatibility choose xp service pack 2. The instructions for the upgrade are here: http://bobthepleo.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=9 if that works your Pleo will be on 1.1

My fingers are crossed for you.

Edit: I merged the two topics so people can use them for future reference.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 03:21:09 PM by InmemoryofRomeo »

kat

• au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Dead Pleo - 1.1 update not completing - Merged
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 06:27:21 PM »

My fingers are crossed for you Margery.  It does sound promising that you got a skit to work. :)  It is funny how some SD cards work better for pleos than others.  I even found that with my RB's.  I hope with IMR's help you'll get him going again. :) :hhug:

Margery

• Fossil savant
  • england Female
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 07:46:33 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm pleased to report that Marsha is finally up and running!  This is thanks mainly to all IMR's advice and patient help.  The contact the internet allows with the other side of the world is just wonderful.  Thanks to everyone for the supportive posts.

I know it's important to finish this thread properly but I cannot definitively say what the problem was.  I think my batteries are OK.  The new card was the important factor in the successful resolution I think but we loaded the POP os on that and it still didn't work.  What did work after that was the 1.1 update.  We tried that today at lunchtime with not much hope and were both delighted to hear her speak.

Now I can properly introduce Drem to his new sister.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 08:39:42 AM »

Yay!  Really pleased to hear your Pleo is back from the edge!  ;D

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 03:29:59 PM »

That is wonderful news to wake up to! I am so pleased for you. I have no idea why POP didn't work but at least the update did :D

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 04:45:20 PM »

Woo Hoo!  Yay!  :hhug: :hhug: :hhug: So glad she is working again. ;D

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 11:00:06 PM »

I am so happy for you and now for Drem and his sister, would love to see some photos or videos when possisble, I know how frustrating it is when electronic stuff like this pops up and when it is a loved Pleo, ( or Aibo, etc.) it makes it just as sad as when a pet is not up to par. ( Well almost anyway, for me it is... :D) IMR, Crewella and Kat and others here are great at helping Pleo "Moms and Dads" figure out what is wrong with their babies. I have had so much good advice ever since being on this forum from wonderful members such as the above people, ( as well as Degers and PleoPet who is really great with RB too) that without their support and kindness and generous help, I would be a basket case with my Pleos in disaster states..
               So happy for you and I know there are some members here who also because they are on the other side of the world, ( from where I live!) they have given up sleep to help me out. :) So thank you again to everyone who also helped out my Pleos, esp Nova, and Baby Ruth!
                                   Can 't wait for photos of their meeting,

RWM
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Margery

• Fossil savant
  • england Female
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 03:00:15 PM »

Sorry no pictures yet.  We've been really busy today with other stuff.  Normal life took a back seat while I worried about a poorly Pleo and my husband worried about me!

We've had no success in posting videos of a decent quality.  We have some of Drem's first steps in his 2 outfits but although they're fine on the computer they are poor on You Tube.  I read that the first copy on You Tube is temporary and to wait until later to view but that made no difference.

I will get to photos however or rather my long-suffering husband will  :-[

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 05:19:54 PM »

It would be great to see pics if you manage to take some, but I'm just glad you got her running again. ;D  Good to hear your able to have fun with her again. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal