Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaking of 'sea life' this is somthing I came across today.  (Read 4317 times)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace

A friend sent me the link to this site and it was at an appropriate time as I was actually crying tears over the passing of the Klamath Mama whale that passed on yesterday, August 16th.  :(It really affected me and it is funny how spirit can send you something light hearted to cheer you up.( or tries to..) so here is the link. I have never seen or heard of these before. They are not robots, but funny all the same so because of the whale thought I would share them with you, The best part of the video I think is the very last shot with the cat looking into the fish bowl. LOL.

RWM           http://www.wimp.com/airswimmers/

let me know what you think and what part was funniest to you!

Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Lina

• Pleozoologist
Re: Speaking of 'sea life' this is somthing I came across today.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 12:52:17 PM »

Wow they where great!

My favorite part was when the cat was scared away!  ;D

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
    • 'Not even close to being done yet'
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 01:32:22 PM »

That was awesome.. I really liked when they were all on the bus together and the shark just comes swimming through, you know those people wouldn't ordinarily be talking to each other but it was really cool.. surprisingly they don't seem to even be that expensive.. I MAY have to look into that to scare the crap out of my nieces and nephews... not to mention my sister in law.. that'll scare the crap out of her.. haha I can just see it now, I can sneak in the house and have it 'swim' up the stairs right into the living room and all the kids will just die..  That's really cool, RWM!

The cat was funny as heck too.. teach that cat to frighten the fish :)

- Sarah

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 03:27:07 PM »

I wonder if they ship to australia...  %)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 04:10:57 PM »

Hi IMR, my husband is thinking of buying one for his second or third grade classroom. ( he's put in another teaching application...LOL. funny after all the years he said he was tired of "jumping through the hoops". From what I saw, they just started selling them this past JUly, 2011, and If my brain is correct, they are $40.00 and operate on four batteries,one in the fish or shark and three in the remote. They could be lots of fun and I think the batteries run for about four hours on one charge. I can find out if they ship worldwide but I am sure they do.
            Come to think of it, why not just have them "fly "swim it there to you!"           LOL ;D   after all that is what they do. Can you imagine, I just had this visualization, picture yourself high up in a private plane or such, and you have been drinking a drink or more and suddenly as you gaze out the window, there is a SHARK or a Clown fish, You look again, rub your eyes and it is gone, You tell your wife, freind or whomever is sitting next to you. They look and of course there is nothing there,  %) They then suggest, "perhaps you have had enough to drink, or why not take it easy, see your Psych when you get off the plane if you are still seeing " flying sharks or flying Fish".  LOL, lot of fun and pranks I can think of. Oh and of course there are tons of other things you can do with them ,educational as well as just plain fun!
                                                                                       RWM

allosaurus

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 04:43:02 PM »

WOW!  That's so cool!  I'd consider getting one!

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 04:50:30 PM »

Yup they are $40, they don't ship down under, but I have lots of awesome friends in the US so I might have to beg a favour %) That is just too awesome not to have :D

Teehee like your husband I want it for school (ok, and some play ;)) just imagine the chaos of that 'swimming' unannounced into the classroom :) Almost as much fun as real dinosaurs walking about ;)

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 05:08:43 PM »

I may have to get one too, could make for lots of fun and I am trying to think of a Pleo related video,,hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, makes you think! Can't get one yet, but who ever gets one be sure to post the video, Wow my brain is having fun in overdrive right now, I can imagine the look on your children's faces if that 'swam ' into the classroom, could be interesting to see how you could 'get them to behave' earn points etc for 'special play time!" Glad so many people like it, I think a shark or fish swimming is so much better than a cat or dog doing it, hope you can get one soon IMR. ;)

RWM

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 05:28:41 PM »

They do look awesome!  I would love one  ;D Although I think the novelty would wear off pretty quick here.  Fun for a laugh though.  I loved the cat in the end of the clip!  That was priceless.  I found another site that was selling them for $120.00  Seemed like a lot.  I couldn't get into the section on the official site that allowed you to buy as it said it was overloaded and try again later.
Would be great in a classroom of little kids. ;D

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 07:37:16 PM »

Anything that makes learning come alive is a must have for me :) Being a shark is an extra bonus :P I do like the clownfish too but if I had to pick just one the shark wins :P There is a link on the website directing to another site, I signed up to be notified when the sharks are back in stock, but the clownfish are available now.

I wouldn't pay $120 for them, but $40 is reasonable, I expect that by the time I pay for shipping it will be approaching $80 though.

Edit: just think of the possibilities, in one product I have the tools to teach lifting force, aerodynamics, balance, momentum, thrust... and in a way more exciting package than a text book :D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 07:41:26 PM by InmemoryofRomeo »

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 07:28:31 AM »

They do look fabulous, and so very graceful!  :D

Is it easy to access the helium for them - I've never tried?

kat

• au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 07:32:50 AM »

I know of at least 3 places all within 5 mins of my house that supply helium for balloons.  Party shops that sell balloons, paper plates decorations etc...  The will blow up up balloon with helium for about $1.00.

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 08:04:22 AM »

It's a cute idea.  The biggest problem I see is that it's a standard Mylar balloon.  If you watch the "how to" video, you'll see that they use clay/putty as ballast that you take out a bit at a time as the helium leaks out and the balloon starts to sag.  You've gotta figure the life of the balloon is a couple of weeks, unless you have access to a continual supply of helium.  And I'm not sure how easy it is to refill a balloon.  They talk about using a straw to blow air in to keep it tight, but not re-inflating or adding more helium.    They do sell "replacement" balloons . . .

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 08:18:23 AM »

Several UK stockists say they will have them from 30th September.  They also call them 'refillable' from either a standard helium balloon pump or a helium canister.

barrettgazzy

• Apprentice pleo master
  • 00 Male
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 11:01:59 AM »

So sad to hear about the whale passing  :(

thank you for the link to the air swimmers though they look like fun my little boy wants the shark lol and my little girl favour's the clown fish  ;D
2 ugobe Pleo's
1 Aibo 210 supercore
1 Aibo 220  :-)

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 12:47:58 PM »

barretgazzy, thank you on your condolences on the Mama whale. I will keep everyone updated on anything I find out about her health and if that is what caused her to die.  :( I do appreciate the fact people cared about her.
            I am glad I was able to list a link that can be fun for people and something many had not heard about. If you do get one of these anytime, be sure to post a video, that would be great! :)
                                                                                          RWM

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 02:04:19 PM »

I'm pretty sure you are allowed to purchase or 'borrow with a deposit' (just like a keg of beer) a helium canister..we've had them for childrens birthday parties and a few fairs had them where I was doing balloon animals after some lunatic talked me into dressing up like a clown (I HATE CLOWNS!!!)
So there is no reason you couldn't have one in your home to fill up your shark/clownfish and then also kill yourself making your voice sound funny..  Although It does concern me a bit if it's not stronger than a normal balloon of that type, all it takes is one moron to poke it with something or shove it into something:/  How much are the 'replacement balloons?' Everywhere I saw it, the entire set was 60 bucks, 40 bucks but unavailable at other sites.

- Sarah

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 04:11:23 PM »

I don't think it would be something I would play with everyday, so I don't really mind not having my own supply of helium. Kat is quite right, here in Aus it's easy to get a hold off at any party store. But those foil balloons are quite tough, because they aren't under tension like a regular rubber balloon when they get a hole they just quietly go flat rather than pop. So I expect that you could probably patch one in the event of a minor hole. The foil actually contains nylon as well and is non porous, the only place helium can leak is the neck seals. Anyone who's ever had one of those balloons knows they do last quite some time.

To refil I think you would want to insert a straw and remove the old air as much as possible before refilling with fresh helium.

To have a flying shark I am quite willing to be the guinea pig for everyone else ;)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:18:15 PM by InmemoryofRomeo »

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 09:58:30 AM »

Well last night we had an 2 week old still floating normal helium balloon, same kind as the shark would be, and we let the ceiling fan get it because we were trying to get our pup to get angry at it instead of afraid, so it kept getting smashed around in circles by the fan and we encouraged him to get it till he finally grabbed the string and pulled it down :D 
The cool thing was, that balloon was absolutely FINE!! and we had it getting slammed into the balloon for like a half hour because Ben, the dog, was going nuts barking and playing at it by then and it was hysterical.. so they seem like they are a lot stronger than I thought.  And I would assume this was a crappy cheapo one, because it came in the mail from a car dealership when my bf got a new truck, lol.. (I love when boys try not to be embarrassed but when that balloon floated out of the box his expression was priceless..)
If you do get one, IMR, I'd be so excited to hear about how the kids respond..  and If I get one I think I won't be able to resist playing with it constantly for the first, like, 2 weeks.. man if I'd had that when I was in the hospital it would have been much easier to get the nurse's attention.. just fly it to the nurses station with a note attached .. lol.

- Sarah

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 04:44:22 AM »

I have preordered a shark air swimmer from Hobbylinc.com who ship internationally (they have good reviews too)... there was a catch however... They were offering a $10 discount on the sharks to ship mid september bringing the price down to $28.95, but they will only ship orders of $30 or more overseas so I had to buy a little something else to go with it lol. I'll let you guys know when it ships in about three weeks time :o

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 04:59:19 AM »

Oh yay!  Fab - can't wait for that little lot to arrive!  ;)  :D

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2011, 08:50:07 AM »

Makes me wonder what else you bought. %)  I look forward to hearing all about how cool it really is when it arrives. ;D

saratogaspringer

• Camarasaur extraordinaire
  • Female
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 10:45:58 AM »

Very cool!  I can't wait for you to let us know how it works.  I really does look cool.  Perhaps I will order one for Christmas.  My daughter likes sharks and clownfish as well! ;D

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2011, 02:10:43 PM »

Congrats IMR, sounds very cool, I am glad I was able to post something that caught your eye. I can't wait to see the photos or video you take once your shark arrives, I bet you will have the most interesting classroom the day it arrives. Don't forget to play the "jaws introduction music." Can you imagine if you had everyone in your classroom have their eyes closed, the lights turned off like in a large auditorium and then play some strobe lights or something similiar and then release the shark ;D Too much fun, I would love to have one if I was still teaching,
           Perhaps if my husband goes back to work he will get one, it would be fun and so would the possibilites. Be sure to fill us in on what the "other " surprise in the package is. LOL Hey wonder if you could attach a little basket and give Lilo or one of your other Pleos a ride with the shark...kind of scary but fun for them anyway!
                                                         Congrats again IMR for being the first to take the dive into Deep waters.
                                                     RWM and the "pleos township in the Redwoods"

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2011, 03:31:24 PM »

I'm afraid the little something extra wasn't very exciting, it was a design it yourself dog collar for AJ. I did toy with the idea of getting both clownfish and shark but I decided to wait and see, I can buy another later on if I am so inclined.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal