Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Artemis Broke her Neck  (Read 3318 times)

MegandArtemis

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • Female
  • Pleos hahaha
Artemis Broke her Neck
« on: July 28, 2011, 08:45:45 PM »

My pleo's neck broke.  :'( We wrapped it up in an ace bandage real tight, but now she can't move it.  Has anyone else found any other ways to fix a broken necked pleo? I'll post some pictures of her later.

- Meg and Artemis

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: Artemis Broke her Neck
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 09:05:39 PM »

Aww sorry to hear about Artemis :( You have a few options as far as bracing goes.

The bandage approach which as you noted restricts movement.

You can make a neoprene brace like the one I have for Lilo. This keeps the neck very straight but allows for a little movement side to side and down. (I bought the neoprene on ebay.)

This one is made from a children's wrist brace. This is by far my favourite solution, but colours are very limited. This is a simple elastic brace with a velcro closure, it allows the best movement of the neck.

Fancyfont uses a light bandage, and some pet medical tape. The neck is still a little droopy, but side to side movement is good.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Lina

• Pleozoologist
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 01:22:28 AM »

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear about Artemis broken neck :(

You can however get the brace support thingies here, in the stores. I think IMR has them. It´s a quick and good solution.

Poor little Artemis.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 03:45:30 AM »

I'm so sorry to hear about Artemis' neck.  It's what we all dread happening, but Fancyfont and IMR (and RWM) are old hands at coping with the problem and have proven it's definitely not the end for the afflicted Pleo.  :hhug:

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 05:06:50 AM »

I'm sorry to here about Artemis.  Poor little thing.  It isn't the end though.  Like IMR says there are a few different options for bracing the neck.

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 11:37:32 AM »

It is what  we dread with our little dinos, but as Crewella said, it doesn't make our little dinos any less lovable. THere is also a sticky stretch wrap that you can find in large pet supply stores, especially if they carry horse supplies. It's used to wrap horses and animals legs You can find about any color wrap you want which makes our dinos pretty colorful. I get mine from Western Farms in Santa Rosa, California. I almost bought some aqua, which was very pretty, yesterday. My favorite is pink, but, unless you are Pleakley, IMR's  dino, I'm not sure Peeky would appreciate the color.
You will find that Artemis will be more affectionate to you. Especially, when nose to nose with you ;) About the only thing your little dino won't be able to do, is fall over in the death act of the programmed D rex on the sd card, if you have that.
Maybe we can have a contest on the best looking neck wear for our little dinos. :)

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 07:23:08 AM »

I'm so sorry to hear that but I'm glad it's not the end.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
    • 'Not even close to being done yet'
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 12:49:06 PM »

I'm very sorry to hear about your Pleo's neck.. but like you've seen here, folks have come up with some great ways to get around it, we seem to have some very capable handicapped Pleos on our forum :)

- Sarah

Jett

• Pleo explorer
  • 00 Female
  • Pleo(s): Ozzy and Dopey
    • none
    • Bugs_Bunny
    • Kermit
    • Peppermint_Patty
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 09:07:06 AM »

So what can cause our Pleos to break their necks? Is it do to our mistakes?  Or naturally?  I am SO very careful with my Ozzy especially when I pick him up and when I turn him upside down to change batteries or to snuggle and tickle him. I always have my hand supporting the neck (like a real baby) :D   Praying for all Pleos to get well!!! I LOVE PLEOS!  :-*

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 04:47:25 PM »

My understanding of how it happens is just normal wear and tear over time.  It seems the cables inside the neck rub against the neck joints as the neck moves and so very slowly over time the cables give way. :(  There is only one case of a broken neck due to rough play with a pleo that I am aware of and that is poor Humpty that RWM rescued.  He was thrown out of a tree and then had his back cut open and some of his insides removed to "see how he worked"  but they didn't put him back together and now RWM is working on him as a project.  Surprisingly he still goes when you turn him on.  Hopefully one day he will get back to normal. :)  So you do need to be very careful with your pleos neck but at some point I think all of the old Ugobe pleos will end up with a broken neck once enough time goes by and the cables wear down.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 05:53:31 PM »

Take a piece of wire, one you can manipulate fairly easily, and flex it back and forth for a while. It will start to heat up and eventually it will snap. Any metal, when subjected to a lot of flexing begins to develop metal fatigue and will eventually give way. Pleo's neck cable is of course made up of lots of little strands of wire together and after a time the strands develop fatigue and start to give way. Sometimes you can hear it, I knew Lilo's neck was close to breaking, over a couple of weeks I heard a few metallic 'twangs' as a part of the cable frayed away. I actually stopped using her for a while but she had to meet her new sibling which proved to be the final straw for the cable. Of course rubbing against the 'vertebra' doesn't improve things either.

The RB's will eventually suffer the same fate, although with stronger cables they are not likely to suffer from this any time soon. I expect the RB's will last many years without cable problems, whereas Ugobe's seem to be doing well if they last two or three years.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:58:12 PM by InmemoryofRomeo »
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Jett

• Pleo explorer
  • 00 Female
  • Pleo(s): Ozzy and Dopey
    • none
    • Bugs_Bunny
    • Kermit
    • Peppermint_Patty
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 06:13:38 PM »

Thanks everyone for the replies.  When the time comes for my Ugoboe Ozzy to wear away I'll get the latest version of Pleos. Maybe 6 ft tall ones! :D

LuckyPleo

• Pleozoologist
  • Female
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 07:21:59 AM »

I'm sorry to hear about Artemis... I think I'd be in shock for a moment if Pleo broke his neck.  :( Hopefully you'll find an option that suits you to fix her!

6 foot pleos? I'm not so sure I want a robot taller than me... They could get angry :D :D :D
Whoever said the world is gonna end in 2012 is an idiot, it's not because my cookies' expiration date is 1013, ha!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal