Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All right... What's the catch?  (Read 1356 times)

PleoKymm

• Coffee leaf addict
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Thorn
  • Hey, Pleo Peeps and Peep-ettes!
    • Gilligan
    • Tasmanian_Devil
    • Swedish_chef
    • Charlie_Brown
    • Virtual and Robotic Pet Reviews
All right... What's the catch?
« on: July 24, 2011, 02:43:29 PM »

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=320731399092&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=30527682913

(Sorry about it being a mobile link; I'm on my phone)

No photo, it's dirt cheap, even the shipping is more expensive than the pleo itself! There has to be a catch here. If I had paypal, and if I wasn't so suspicious, I'd pounce on the pleo in a heartbeat. It just seems... fishy. That's the word I was looking for!

Pleos are awesome!

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: All right... What's the catch?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 05:00:08 PM »

It's an auction it is likely to be much higher than $65 when it finishes.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 05:46:34 PM »

As IMR says, it's just how auctions work - it starts low to get lots of people interested who then bid against each other until most drop out as the price gets higher.  On eBay you also have to remember that many bidders like to play their cards close to their chest so don't bid until the last few seconds.  :)

saratogaspringer

• Camarasaur extraordinaire
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 06:57:53 PM »

Yep, Crewella is right.  I usually wait  until there are about 10 seconds left in the auction, and then bid what I am willing to pay for the item.  Sometimes I win, and sometimes I don't.  The bad thing is that it is your first and last bid all at the same time. There isn't any time left  to place a second bid if the one is just a few dollars short! ;)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 11:59:12 PM »

Both of these guys are right and as an owner of 14 + Pleos, I can tell you that that is how at least 70% were purchased, If I am really interested I place a bid when it is real low, simpley cause I get busy and tend to forget and if there are five or six days left, I have lost out before by not remembering to watch an item or even check an item I have bid on.  :(Aside from my very first Pleo, who was a present for my grandson, and of two others I wanted badly and of course my Rb who is New, I have watched for buy it now low prices, bargains and bids at the last minute. I would say except the buy it now which I jump on if low, I have won about 75% of the last minute bids. If I see the bid is getting too high, I just stop and will let the other person have it, I have also found people who are inexpereinced or newbies and have very low feedback, like less than 10 will bid more because they do not know the advantage to how it works,
              There are lots of people here who can tell you how cheap ( and expensive ) pleos can be. I have paid $207.00 for a First Hatch limited to only 2,000 ever made and to a really low less than $50.00 and perfect working order and complete with box and everything in between, I know Fancy got really lucky at a yard sale and got one for I think, $1.00, and I just got a email tonight from a lady interested in a battery and egg charger who got one for $2.00 at a Thrift Store, but without the battery....so I am tryng to help her out. You just have to be a combination of Lucky, in the right place at the right time, and of course one of the most crucial points is to be patient and if you do not get one first time, don't give up and keep trying, In fact, I couldn't find the one you were looking at even though you gave the link and I think it still had about 22 hrs left? ??? and in the process by accident, came across a buy it now one CHEAP and Cheap shipping so pounced on it cause it looks perfect. So be patient, do your homework by checking feedback and allways ask questions esp if they use Stock photos and know when to bid.  Good luck......................................RWM
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

wolfbob

• Member of the herd
  • Male
    • AIBOBOB
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 11:09:25 AM »

I use a different tactic. First I look for Buy-it-nows that are mispriced and snatch them up quick. I then decide what I think a item is worth to me (I am usually in a reaell mode) and make a 6 second snipe bid on that item for the oprice I decided is what it is worth to me. I then forget about it until I receive an email that I have won.

A snipe bid is a machine made bid that occurs a few seconds before the end of the bidding. It is a service I pay for (very little and free if you don't win). There are several people offering this service. I use www.esnipe.com and have for close to 10 years. I bid on 10-20 items/day. I win maybe one per week. I got a Pleo (ugobe) in great shape complete except for leaf for $51.00.

WBob
Dude, Ugobe
Flyingover the flyover states, rb

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 12:29:57 PM »

Hey!  Hail Wolfbob - another dedicated eBayer!!  ;D

I have looked at snipe services, but I prefer the thrill of the manual snipe!  ;)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 04:57:45 PM »

I agree Wolfbob, but I dont consider the Pleos "mispriced" if they are a buy it now for $50.00, as I have seen them that low, and even lower with a final bid, I got one at $45.00 with defects but I wanted him and I bought one at 56.00, one at 63.00 and one so low I won't list it.. :o but most of the Buy it now I grab are between $50.00 and $80.00 and I consider that fair, considering most of them sell this time of year for from $100.00-$160.00 with a few more, but the ones I see listed at Buy it now for $399.00 and up, those are Wrong, but the seller has the option to list them for whatever he can, so that is ebay. At Christmas time, holiday season, the prices go up, and you are almost allways paying  at least $15.00 -$240.00 as more people want them and will bid higher, so I think this is the time of year to try and snatch them and get a bargain! I allso am like Crewella and prefer the manual snatch at last minute, I put in my ultimate what I will pay and have it all typed in for the last 30 seconds and when it is down to 10-15 seconds I then confirm getting enough time to still put in another bid in last five seconds if need be and have my hand already typed in perhaps $2.00 higher as I have lost Pleos by $1.00 before in the last seconds, where I put a bid of max $150.00 and someone else got it with a bid of $151.00                it is all fun in the long run, to me anyway!
                                                         RWM ;D
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal