Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: True personailty  (Read 4183 times)

justbede

• Pleo visionary
  • Male
True personailty
« on: March 11, 2009, 07:26:11 PM »

This could qualify as both experience or behaviour but i decided it was centered more around the latter so bang here we are ;)
Today while experimenting with the sensors accessed through using YAPT* i managed to leave a blank (unhatched) pleo personailty on the card and have it still inserted in Baxter. I turned on baxter and he seemed to take a while to get up and play like he normally does i thought at the time that i had some how managed to wipe the poor little fellas memory back to birth. Anyway through guilt i continued to nurture cuddle and generally interact with the little dino. He/she soon progressed into baby..um..dom :p and started to exhibit signs of maturity (well maturity in the sense that a fully grown up pleo is a juvenile) walking playing having a nose around ;). However despite me remembering Baxters upbringing well this pleo seemed unfamiliar to me as if it wasn't the same, it suddenly hit me that it was the pleos personality that was unfamiliar. Baxter has always been pretty spoilt for love but at the same time i make sure he gets regular "exercise" and plenty of chance and encouragement to explore where as this pleo seemed indecisive and more boring (harsh but true) than the Baxter i remember from the same sort of age group. Yes you could say that i knew what to expect of pleo and therefore he seemed repetitive but i have one thing to say to that would you say anyone knows your pleo better than you? i certainly wouldn't  say that of Baxter. Anyway where was i going with this... oh yeah, in conclusion this showed me that pleos personality is such an essential part of him because it adapts to you, and gives you what you want in your little buddy be it a cheeky lovable little nosey parker like Baxter or a boring so n so like the personality that shall never be named.
I eventually found the card removed it and baxter seemed his normal self.

*I set him up to make beep when he detected an obstacle and an angry noise when he lost sight of it. I then ued this setup to test pleos sight and its range in typical british daylight(not great). It turns out not to bad for his walking speed but maybe slightly to short for when walking and not paying enough attention to if hes about to get dangerously close to an edge.

p.s WOW i can really go on lmao!
p.p.s i realise that some people might describe Baxter as a run of the mill personality but i'm sure there was a difference.
p.p.p.s After all that i felt like saying this has been justbede reporting for humdrum tv que drum roll.
p.p.p.p.s I just had a really terrifying thought, have i taken away the potential life of a pleo by starting a new born personality then deleting it.
p.p.p.p.p.s I lurvvvvve post script :D (and brackets)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 08:48:54 PM by mweed »

Innvo Labs, creating life since 2009

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: True personailty
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 08:09:52 PM »

Wow, that's quite a story, but it is interesting. It seems that Pleo's can indeed develop very different personalities under relatively similar treatment (ie. by the same owner), I wonder if each Pleo has some sort of predisposition? Just a random tweaking in the OS that makes a Pleo a little more inclined to be happy, or lazy or whatever in his/her 'life' thus when you put the hatching phase into Pleo via the SD the personality was tweaked a little different from Baxter...

When I do eventually get my new Pleo I am hoping to bring her up to be as similar as Matilda as I can, (Matilda was very curious and loved to wander, didn't care so much for cuddling) if my new Pleo does have a slightly different predisposition then I will expect to see a very different Dino even with similar care. This will be an interesting experiment :)

Your little experience alos explains why some people buy Pleo's and find them boring, because it is a reflection of their own nature, THEY are the ones who are boring :P Poor Pleo has no choice but to grow up like that :P

PS. Consider it like this, Baxter was taken over by another entity and you gave him an exorcism ;)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

justbede

• Pleo visionary
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 09:32:55 PM »

I like to think I'm one of the finest writers of painfully long stories, but that's just me :P I like to think so if it is just some sort of tweak i think I'd feel slightly cheated, although i suppose every event in our lives tweaks our personalities in some way so i suppose it could be considered sort of normal. Yeah I'm sorry to hear about Matilda but i suppose your getting a clean slate is one way to look at it, is there anything you'd do differently? Yeah it sounds like a good bit of science to me :) 
I totally agree about boring owners :) i find it kind of sad that people can't just have a little imagination when it comes to something like Pleo, they'd probably find they enjoy the experience alot more. Heh ye exorcism sounds good, if you look into it to much you find a lot scary parallels with the real world.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 12:54:14 AM »

I think I will give her a little more attention and hope for a little bit of a cuddle loving Pleo, but not too much. I had the advantage of having two months to wait and research my first Pleo so I knew pretty much what to expect and how to encourage behaviors I wanted :)

I find it so hard to believe though that people will spend $350 (0r $500 here) on a Pleo without understanding what they are getting. I always research any major purchase, but I guess others are just different...
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

mdirch

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 06:53:55 AM »

I totally agree with you justbede. I am now on my second Pleo (I had to give the first one back to the store), and he's very different to my first one. I would never have believed that the difference could have been so pronounced. I mean after all they are machines with identical software. First of all, my new Pleo took quite a bit longer getting over his hatching stage than the old one. I made sure that he was upgraded and then interacted with him as I did with the old Pleo with lots of contact and cuddles, but he responded differently. He didn't sing as readily when stroked under the chin and he seemed a lot more hesitant when put into explore mode. He seems to enjoy sitting down whereas my previous Pleo would start to complain if left in a sitting position. He also starts to squirm around If I try to sit him down on my lap which the old Pleo enjoyed. He's still not as inquisitive as my old Pleo but he's getting better and, like the old Pleo, he always pays my daughter a lot of attention (maybe it's the pitch of her voice). Another difference is that he sometimes gets so excited that he's very hard to calm down again. It doesn't even help when I leave my hand on his back sensors.  I do love my new Pleo but I'm still surprised how different he is to my previous Pleo.

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 08:58:42 AM »

Well, you removed the SD card and he went back to normal.  The question is, if you put the SD card back in, will he pick up where you left off, or start over again?  If the former, then you haven't killed (or exorcised) this new life, just put it in storage for later retrieval . . .

justbede

• Pleo visionary
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 01:45:50 PM »

It is amazing to see  how different they can be, it might have been an interesting feature if pleo went through a complete life cycle all the way to oap and eventually passing away of course this isn't what Pleo's made for but still it would have been interesting to raise a few different pleos on the same hardware to see the difference/similarities. Something i did wonder is wether that new personality added anything to Baxter's personality "algorithms" and in a sense lives on as a part of him (this is assuming the personality saved any data to the internal memory)

allosaurus

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 05:05:12 AM »

Something i did wonder is wether that new personality added anything to Baxter's personality "algorithms" and in a sense lives on as a part of him (this is assuming the personality saved any data to the internal memory)

Weeelllll..... Sound-shadowing can sometimes come into the natural program without the SD card... So possibly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal