Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: force feedback question  (Read 5676 times)

justbede

• Pleo visionary
  • Male
force feedback question
« on: March 08, 2009, 03:25:48 PM »

Does anyone know if pleo actually uses his force feedback sensors for anything exceot detecting jams? i think there is alot of potential in them.

Innvo Labs, creating life since 2009

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
Re: force feedback question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 04:11:20 PM »

justbede,
There was indeed a lot of potential in the force feedback sensors, however they are yet to be implemented :(.
The OS still receives feedback from them however it takes no action other than displaying this information on the terminal.

degers

justbede

• Pleo visionary
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 05:28:53 PM »

Yeah that was what i was thinking i hope ugobe manage to pull through their current fiscal troubles.
Innvo Labs, creating life since 2009

7cats

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 05:07:05 PM »

Are you sure there is really force feedback in there?  I've got a (dead) Pleo apart and didn't see any.  Each motor is powered by a 2 wire cable, so it is questionable that the motor has it built in (since how would the force be reported without any additional wires?).  And each gear train has what looks like a potentiometer (about 4.7K ohms).  So I think the technology is  'position sensing', not 'force feedback'.

Darkwolf

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
  • Robots rule!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 03:09:41 AM »

I think the term "force feedback" has been used to make it easier for the public to understand the actual function.
Because it does register force, which is proudly demonstrated by picking Pleo up by the tail.
You can imagine that if all motors keep working at full power, Pleo will strain them heavily.
Also when my Pluriel jams something, she seems to adapt to it and not force or strain any of her said limbs.
Proud owner of my beloved Pluriel (Pleo) and Diesel (Aibo ERS-7M3)

kisumi

• Pleozoologist
  • Female
  • Kai and Stanley
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 07:11:11 PM »

I think the term "force feedback" has been used to make it easier for the public to understand the actual function.
Because it does register force, which is proudly demonstrated by picking Pleo up by the tail.
You can imagine that if all motors keep working at full power, Pleo will strain them heavily.
Also when my Pluriel jams something, she seems to adapt to it and not force or strain any of her said limbs.

I agree with darkwolf, i think they have used this term to simplify matters to the less intelligent peoples like myself! It is a shame that with ugobe gone that a true force feedback funtion couldnot be implimented

7cats

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 10:46:20 PM »

My theory is that since a change is position can be detected via the potentiometer, that 'force feedback' is simulated by checking to see that a change in position of the gear train corresponding to the amount of travel intended occurs.  If it does, then no opposition, but if movement is attempted but does not actually occur, then there is an obstruction which needs to be compensated for.

Of course, this theory may have trouble accomodating the 'pick up by the tail' scenario. 

allosaurus

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 04:20:28 PM »

Hmmm.... What about pushing in a limb? Because holding the tail is like pulling a limb...

Would Pleo respond to that kind of stuff?

Darkwolf

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
  • Robots rule!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 02:30:34 AM »

Hmmm.... What about pushing in a limb? Because holding the tail is like pulling a limb...

Would Pleo respond to that kind of stuff?
Try it out and tell us! :D
Proud owner of my beloved Pluriel (Pleo) and Diesel (Aibo ERS-7M3)

Pintokitkat

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Male
  • There's always time for tea
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 05:08:55 PM »

Isn't the 'force feedback' simply a case of detecting the back EMF from the motors?  ie holding the motors increases the current through the wires,which can be detected by the controller?

Burberry016

• Camarasaur extraordinaire
  • Male
  • Another Pleo with a "Bling" (or "Pling" :) )
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 03:41:17 PM »

justbede,
There was indeed a lot of potential in the force feedback sensors, however they are yet to be implemented :(.
The OS still receives feedback from them however it takes no action other than displaying this information on the terminal.

degers

Then whats the point of having force feedback?  Does LifeOS1.1 use force feedback?  I hope it does ;)
"It is my buisness to know things.  Perhaps I have trained myself to see what others overlook.  If not, why should you come to consult me?"
~Sherlock Holmes

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 03:44:34 PM »

The motors are clutched Pintokitkat.

Burberry016, the force feedback sensors are not working in LifeOS1.1
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal