Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pleo Tools on Windows 7?  (Read 6288 times)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
Pleo Tools on Windows 7?
« on: May 19, 2011, 06:21:36 PM »

Grrrr - my main, ancient, computer went 'bang' and I think I heard a death rattle.  :(

Until my new one arrives I'm stuck using my laptop which runs Windows 7, whereas the old PC (and indeed the new one will be) was Windows XP.  I've never tried any Pleo stuff on the laptop - does anybody know if the Pleo tools, Dinomite for instance, will run on Windows 7?  Also do the SD card Ugobe Pleo downloads for upgrading/downgrading work OK on 7?  Thanks  :)

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
Re: Pleo Tools on Windows 7?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 06:27:55 PM »

I can't say anything for Seven as I'm clinging to Vista like a cat on a skinny branch, but Ugobe's upgrade went fine using it. Just curious but what does Dinomite do? Would it ever be useful to me?
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 06:35:02 PM »

Dinomite is a live tool for looking at the inner workings of your Pleo.  You can also test the joints, sensors, camera etc. and see the results on your screen.  I use it, but I wouldn't say I'm proficient - it's very useful when you have problems, though.  Worth giving it a try, Talon, if you're interested in such things.

It's quite old software, so I don't know if it will run for the RB's.  Hopefully one of the techy peeps can elaborate!  ;)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 08:15:45 PM »

Windows 7 is quite nice, macs are better though ;) All that software will run just fine on windows 7, I've had all of it running on there at some point.

Dinomite is not RB compatible, Dinomite requires your Pleo to be switched on to work, and RB's must be switched off to access their micro usb port.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 09:04:07 PM »

"Dinomite is not RB compatible, Dinomite requires your Pleo to be switched on to work, and RB's must be switched off to access their micro usb port."

Doh!  Of course - I remember now! When Talon asked about Dinomite I wondered why I'd not tried it with Belle yet!  %)

I'm actually none too keen on Windows 7 - it's too darned restrictive, which is why the new PC will run good old faithful XP!  :D

Thank you IMR.   ;D

bhobbes

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 09:11:52 PM »

Windows 7 isn't restrictive at all. I think a stubborn user is the problem ;) You could always venture into Linux if you want to be open and free. Nowadays the learning curve is so low anyone can do it :)

And IMR, wars are fought over less than that repetitively hollow Mac propaganda ;)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 09:14:29 PM »

Hehe I know, stupid Mac vs PC debates :P There are pro's and con's for each. I love my Mac, but I also have windows 7 installed on it, well at least until someone makes MySkit for Macs :P
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 09:27:54 PM »

"Stubborn user" I very probably am!   And a bit of a Luddite to boot!  :P

For various reasons I'm stuck with running ancient database software for my work, and there are just so many things that I used to be able to do and cannot with Windows 7 that it's a lot easier to stick with XP.  It would cost a fortune to upgrade the database, for little obvious benefit.

Could't resist, and we've not seen it for a while anyway!  :D :

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDdDxZu3zo8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDdDxZu3zo8</a>
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 09:36:00 PM by Crewella »

bhobbes

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 09:33:06 PM »

During the 2008 election I was working in a computer support type job and the Mac vs. Windows debates got much more heated and vile than the political ones did.

I stated my preference but as an idealist of the free market I think they all serve their purpose and they all strive to be better. Vista was not as bad as it was made out to be, especially after the service packs (think XP) but without Apple capitalizing on it and the increased sales of their products, we wouldn't have Windows 7 (which I think they really hit the mark with - although I believe it could have been a really good service pack but they had to drop the dirty name). I have a Virtual Machine for OS X to play with/keep current for support reasons, a linux server, android devices, zune, ipod, windows 7 desktop and HTPC, etc. -  so I guess I like a little bit of everything! And I almost never keep default interfaces on any of them.

But I still love reading blog news sites with Apple v. Windows flame threads. (A very guilty pleasure because it cracks me up how serious people take it) Between that and Microsoft and Google constantly insulting each other (especially with that loon Ballmer - who is from a city one hour away from me lol), the tech industry has plenty of entertainment for all of us.

Understandable, there are a lot of reasons businesses often get stuck (there are ways around it I'm sure but why even discuss this haha?). Sadly it's one of the reasons Microsoft's general business model is so stagnant (it caters to business over typical consumers, though that is shifting). But stubborn users are part of the problem ;)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 09:44:44 PM »

On the other hand, any business that thinks its client base should keep up, rather than knuckling down to supplying an actual need, has possibly got a little carried away with its sense of its own importance!  ;)  :P

If it runs my Pleo software, which I'm now going to load having been reassured, Windows 7 is forgiven!  :D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 09:48:26 PM by Crewella »

bhobbes

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 09:49:02 PM »

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 09:54:31 PM »

Lol!  I'm used to dealing with stuff that's over 100 years old - I'm still getting to grips with steam and the internal combustion engne!  :D

saratogaspringer

• Camarasaur extraordinaire
  • Female
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 03:41:01 AM »

Well, I have to say that I am getting re-aquainted with Windows, thanks to my Aibo, Padfoot.  We always had Windows PC's.  I did have an old Mac in 1995, but it was so hard to find any software for it, that I sold it to my cousin.  A few years ago, DH, who is a teacher, was intoduced to the Mac again through a state program here in PA called Classrooms for the Future,and they used Mac laptops.  At that point, everything was switched to Mac in my house and we do love our iMac.  I don't think my husband will ever touch another PC.  The only trouble is, the nearest Apple store is 2 hours away from my home.  If something goes wrong, you really are on your own little island.

That being said, my Aibo will never run on a Mac, so I was forced to bring my old Windows XP laptop out of the basement.  It runs like an old tube TV.  You turn it on, go make a sandwich, and then come back 10 minutes later to use it, because that is how long it takes to fire up.  I realized that I am not as bad at using a Windows based computer as I thought I was, and I am rather enjoying it, I must say.  This laptop is so old, so if it dies, I will get another one with Windows XP, since that is what I am used to.   We have a great PC repair shop about 10 minutes from my home, so it is very convenient.  I think we will have both in our home for years to come! 8)

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 04:56:46 AM »

Haha! Hey, Bobs, thanks for the Star Wars quote. Not sure if anyone got it but I did. And Crewella, if seven is like Vista and you're refering to the User Account Control snarling at you like a nervous person with paranoya issues, you can actually lower it's ummmmm threshhold? No, what is it? Oh it's sensitivity! That's right. That's one advantage you have with Seven over Vista. You can mellow your computer out a bit. Me, I like being protected and knowing everything that's going on so it doesn't bother me. I am thinking about upgrading to Seven but can't swing the price at the moment.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 05:49:18 AM »

Thanks Talon - I may try to pacify the snarling a bit on my laptop!  :D

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
    • 'Not even close to being done yet'
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 12:21:32 PM »

Bah I still miss windows 3.1 and I am clinging desperately to XP though I know when I eventually get my new computer i'll need to get windows 7 as XP is apparently not going to be supported with upgrades in the next year or so?  I didn't like Vista, personally, my father loved it though.. he is not computer savvy and I was annoyed because it seemed 'dumbed down' and it needed a ridiculous amount of resources to run it.  He ended up getting exactly what I told him not to get.. a laptop with Vista that just barely ran it so now, a year later, it's so slow he can't stand it and I have another excuse to laugh at him :D
I haven't messed around with a mac much, I wanted too as I was getting into animation but I found 3dsmax and then photoshop and I was happy... I tried to do Linux but I couldn't download it... I tried and it was still going a week later on my horrible dialup modem (at the time) lol.. I was mad because I'd setup another computer for it and everything from old parts :P  Whatever works for whoever likes it, works..  ;D

I wish they'd make a myskit for the rb's I wanna see what can be done with their faster moving mouths.. I think a pleo/aibo duet would be awesome now that I found skitter :D
hope it all works fine, Crewella!!

- Sarah

Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal