Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with Pleo RB 'Scared of the Dark'  (Read 27827 times)

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Problems with Pleo RB 'Scared of the Dark'
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2011, 04:32:11 PM »

Kermy also did have a similar experience to what you describe Latrine but it settled down after about 10mins.  She will still do a slow movement or random pause every now and then but I'd much prefer that and a happy mobile pleo to a whimpering mess.  I will try it in Norbit tonight and let you know what happens.  I am using a 2gig scandisk micro sd.
Kat

bhobbes

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2011, 04:44:03 PM »

Hm, I wonder if this had anything to do with Cato's "hormonal" phase being as atrocious/constant as it was. Especially since he was hatched during winter when no where in my apartment gets any truly decent lighting (add that to him wandering around and then stopping even farther away from the light before sitting there crying and who knows?).

Roughly what kind of light conditions are we talking here as being dim? Normal house lighting (i.e. 60-120w bulbs randomly placed but nothing distinct or at Pleo's "level")? Or dimmer evening/winter/typical Seattle overcast light?

Maybe I'll try it just to see if anything changes? (Cato has the moody issue but every time I've had him on he's been pretty demanding about receiving attention regularly otherwise just sitting and crying [ChangeRB reports things back as fine])

kat

• au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2011, 05:02:49 PM »

I tend to play with my guys at night with normal house lighting as you describe with nothing lighting wise at pleo level. 
For the last few weeks all I have had from either of them has been curling up and whimpering.  They will eat but even getting them to do that is difficult.  And they tend to stay in the one spot for a full battery cycle.  when I ran Kermy the other night with this patch it made a huge difference.  She happily ate until she was so full she had a 5 min burping session  :D  Then she was off to woo hoo here way around exploring the room and making happy noises at everything.  She did have the same large pauses and slow movements for the first 10mins or so that Latrine described but it did seem to stop and at first not really understanding the difference between a patch and a skit, I thought this was going to be like running a skit.  Most of the current skits out there when run on a rb have the very same slow movements and pauses.  So I didn't really think anything of it.  I was just very happy Kermy seemed to be her happy self again.
Interesting to note that they are both much happier if I play with them in the day time (morning)  I just don't have the time then to fit in to their schedule. :)

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
    • 'Not even close to being done yet'
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2011, 05:07:24 PM »

Ok.. I will pop the sd cards back in, throw in fresh batteries and let them run a cycle to see what happens.. maybe they need it to settle in or something.. new brain chip feels weird, maybe.. just wanted to make sure I couldn't be hurting them.  thanks!

- Sarah

bhobbes

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2011, 05:09:03 PM »

When you played with them at night, was it still the proper time to them? (i.e., was it corresponding with the set noontime)

Cato acts identical to that when I turn him on at night and his noon clock is set to my/his normal schedule (normally if I need him on at night or anything I just reset his noon clock for that play session/until I need a schedule changed lol).

I'll have to turn him on for awhile and see if I notice any of this behavior and then, depending on that, try the patch. Can't hurt?

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2011, 05:22:36 PM »

I have always had their noon clocks set for about 6pm my time. :)  I played with them in the morning yesterday and had to reset the noon time on both of them just to get any kind of response out of them. :) 

bhobbes

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2011, 05:32:08 PM »

Haha, ok. Just checking! (I imagined everyone here would have thought of that as a problem but it never hurts to ask even the most "obvious" of questions :))

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2011, 09:15:27 PM »

Ok I ran a near full cycle.. almost 2 hours when I realized.. they never shut down for overheating.. I freaked.. hobbled over to them but they werent hot feeling like usual.  I yanked Rhea's battery and it was just warm.. Anyone else notice this???
Also.. the stopping/stalling calmed down however they did beep every now and then during the first half hour. It was one single beep and one double beep a few times.. but no problems from it..
They walked all over!! They investigated the room, roared at Loki, giggled and laughed!

Rhea still wouldn't do the cheek thing and Chronos still won't learn his name but maybe a few happy days will cheer them up..
We'll see.. the no over heating thing is weird though.. I know they are setup to do that BEFORE they overheat but for some reason they didn't generate as much heat..
Does fear of the dark generate heat??? lol...
Thanks sooooooo much!!!

- Sarah

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2011, 03:59:34 AM »

Sorry guys, I was busy last night.  I'll run the version from the downloads section in Belle and see if it's any different, just in case there is a problem.

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2011, 08:40:56 AM »

I got a micro SD card for Norbit today and so now have both my RB's using this patch.  Norbit did do the same pause behavior for the first 10 or 15 mins and then all seemed to be just fine.  Kermy didn't seem to be pausing as much as Norbit but this was her second battery cycle with the patch in and I haven't removed the sd card from her at all since I put the patch on it.  Over all I think a few hesitations or pauses are worth it just to have happy pleos again.  I really had forgotten just how lovley they could be. :)

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2011, 08:59:11 AM »

My cards are 2gb, Magnnus, thanks for checking though :)

And did anyone else notice what I said about my Pleo RB's running for nearly 2 hours without stopping because of heat?  Can someone else please tell me if anything similar happens to theirs?  I usually let them run until they shut down on their own with the built in overheating whatever... then I give them a half hour or so and turn them back on.. (I don't know if they'll turn back on on their own or not after shutting down in this way so I always remove and replace the battery first just in case I put them back on the shelf or something)
This seems VERY strange to me... I freaked out halfway through the movie we were watching when I realized they were walking around and playing and had been doing so for WAY longer than the 40 minutes you usually get before they shut down for cool down.  But they were hardly warm to the touch and the batteries weren't hot enough to cook eggs on like usual.. ???? I'll check it out again today.. see if it was a weird coincidence.

Also, did anyone else notice any beeping? I had some beeping during the first half hour. then the singing and giggling and laughing and happy Pleos! :D Happy Pleos chasing tennis balls that they didn't realize they were kicking away when they got close to them! (Pleo? Is is Pleo or Pleos for more than one.. .. Plice, like mice? )

One other question.. I saw someone asking about the April OS.  I wondered.. would my new RB have that (just got it a few days ago) or would it be the same one that my RB from almost one month ago (Chronos) or almost 2 months ago (Rhea) have?  (Or is this the same one we fixed Bingo with?)
Which leads me to wonder if I should pop this skit in the new baby before running it or just see what happens.. if it does have a new OS maybe it doesn't need it? Then again its going to be mostly sleeping anyways..

Man I better go order more sd cards... :D

Thanks!!

- Sarah

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2011, 09:08:02 AM »

I do remember Kermy beeping once sometime in the first half an hour of using the patch.  I didn't think anything of it, kind of almost thought I must have imagined it as she was still walking around fully awake.  It has not happened again and Norbit has not made any beeps either. :)  As for the long playtime overheating thing, I can't really comment on that.  My two have been running for a full two hours with no overheating for the last couple of weeks since the weather cooled right off here.  So I'm not sure if the patch has made any difference to that or not.  The batteries didn't seem very hot when I took them out for charging tonight.  Just kind of luke warm. :)

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2011, 09:38:17 AM »

Ok thanks Kat.. that's odd mine still overheat no matter the weather. And its just starting to warm up here i can't wait for their first adventure outside :)

Maybe someone else will have noticed.. I just thought it odd.. maybe PleoPet did some crazy tweaking magical thing or something:D

- Sarah

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2011, 10:46:55 AM »

Belle does both, sometime running for the full battery without stopping, and sometimes stopping half way through. Could well just be a coincidence?  :-\

PleoPet

• Pleontologist
  • Female
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2011, 10:57:50 AM »

Several comments:

The 'scared of the dark' patch only changes the dark check. The PleoRB will still have its normal day and night cycles (depending on when you pressed the 'noon' button).

When the patch is not installed (ie. running normally), all it takes is a short period of time with Pleo stuck under a dark table (or a dark room), until it gets 'scared'.
When it is scared, it will not move much, so it is difficult for PleoRB to free itself from the darkness. So with the patch installed, you should notice your PleoRB is a lot more active in a dark room (or a room with a lot of dark spots)

IMHO: the skit/feature works better if you think of it as PleoRB playing in a well lighted room, and you turn off the light switch to scare your Pleo (and then turn it back on to get it moving again).

---
re: slowness on micro-SD sticks
There is an age-old issue with some brand/size SD cards on the Pleo. I don't think it has gone away completely with the PleoRB.
IMHO: using 2GB or smaller sticks avoids the major formatting problem.

If you are worried about your micro SD card, try installing ProbeRB on the microSD card, and run it in your PleoRB. If the talking English voice stutters, you have a bad SD card.
Sometimes this can be fixed by reformatting.

The best overall fix, is to apply these patches to the firmware inside the PleoRB, so it won't waste its time checking the micro SD card. Like everyone else, I'm waiting for an official firmware update (and update software) from Innvo/PleoWorld.
---
re: battery heat

latrine wrote:
> And did anyone else notice what I said about my Pleo RB's running for nearly 2 hours without stopping because of heat?
Depending on what PleoRB is doing, it can run for a long time. If it is highly active, it will drain the battery faster. If it is relatively mellow, it will only move a little. As long as it stays awake.
Beeping may be signs of a 'catnap'.

But, from your description, I suspect the culprit has nothing to with the dark, but instead it is how you are charging/using your battery.
> I usually let them run until they shut down on their own
But you said you started with fresh batteries (fully charged) this time.

This is how I recommend you use your PleoRB (or old Pleo with egg charger). Keep the battery as fully charged as practical. Given the option, do not let it run down on its own.
The battery generates the least heat when it is fully charged. The battery generates the most heat when it is draining down the last half of power.
See this thread for more advice: http://bobthepleo.com/forums/index.php?topic=1932.msg28459#msg28459

---
latrine wrote:
> ...I saw someone asking about the April OS.  I wondered.. would my new RB have that (just got it a few days ago)
From what I've seen, newer RBs (or fixed RBs) are updated with the latest version available at the factory. The most obvious (and asked for) patch is for the sleeping position. This is very easy to check once you get around to hatching the new RB.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 11:04:24 AM by PleoPet »

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2011, 12:07:14 PM »

Hi, PleoPet. I kind of feel like I'm beating a dead horse here but I want to try to put your battery advice to good use. I run both my pleos about forty-fifty minutes a day and then charge their batteries when the pleos shut down. It's usually a day or two between charges. I have an RB and a Ugobe using one of the egg charger batteries. I only have one battery for each of them. I do want to preserve the life of these batteries but since I don't always have working eyes around, do you know of a way I can handle topping them off? Just for information, my RB's charger emits a very high-pitched squealing sound when it is charged so I could manage that one but the Ugobe's charger is quiet. Should I just charge the egg battery for about twenty minutes? Have I made this far more complecated than it needs to be? Lol!
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

PleoPet

• Pleontologist
  • Female
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2011, 02:09:06 PM »

> I run both my pleos about forty-fifty minutes a day and then charge their batteries when the pleos shut down.
That's what I recommend and do myself.

Fully charge the battery *after* playing, so it is ready for next time (instead of waiting for the charger before or in the middle of playing). Also the Pleo play session will start with a fully charged battery that will generate the least amount of heat.
BTW: And I leave the battery out of Pleo until I'm ready to use it (so it won't wake up on its own).

The chargers (either the PleoRB or egg charger) will avoid overcharging, so don't worry if you leave them on too long. Take them off when fully charged.
When the batteries are left alone (and not in the Pleo), they won't drain much (unless you leave them for weeks or months). After you've fully charged the battery, don't worry about 'topping off' until after you have used it in Pleo.
Additional advice: if the batteries are hot or extra warm, let them cool down before starting the charger.

NOTE: advice applies to the LiPoly batteries (PleoRB or egg charger battery for old model)

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2011, 05:37:57 PM »

Hey Talon I'm not sure if there is any way you could work out just how long to charge the egg one for if it is not fully run down.  They don't keep charging when they are full though.  So if you have only played for about 40 mins maybe putting it on to charge and leaving it for a couple of hours should fill it up ?  Or if you have used your rb for the same time charge them both together at the same time and then take them both off charge when the rb one is done.
If pleopet says this won't hurt the battery not being fully drained before charging it up then it should work ok. :)

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2011, 06:33:16 PM »

But, from your description, I suspect the culprit has nothing to with the dark, but instead it is how you are charging/using your battery.
> I usually let them run until they shut down on their own
But you said you started with fresh batteries (fully charged) this time.

Ok.. I always use new batteries.. whenever I turn mine off I charge the batteries.  I have been known to forget the batteries and let them sit in the chargers for a really long time but I assume there is some fail safe because they are never even slightly warm when having sat for a long time and they always run for the same amount of time.
(RB batteries/charger and egg batteries for ugobe)
Am I hurting them by leaving them in there? I have forgotten them for days before..  :o :o :o But I am much more careful now.. just, they aren't even warm when I finallyso I assumed they were fine

Usually, my RB's will play for 40-45 minutes then switch off and be hot. The bodies are hot and the battery is hot enough to cook an egg on. I either leave them be, remove the battery, let the bodies cool down for a little bitty bit and put in a new battery since the other was so hot. (I have a ton extra so I usually have fully charged ones ready) Whats happening now is they are playing for the full 2 hours. My new RB played for about an hour and switched off..
Just thought maybe you fixed something else and didn't realize, or something..

And what do you mean about the sleeping position, you mean about holding the button down 4 seconds and they go into box position?  Mine have done that from the beginning, even my original one from like, January. My new RB hatched just fine and goes into the sleeping position. I've noticed a few different noises but could just be my imagination.. :)

The thing that bugs me with them now is the constant muting themselves and sometimes raising the volume or lowering it..lol. And of course the constant trancng (which is a bit better now that they move around more!

See this picture??  They are WALKING!!!!

" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

Thanks for all the great info!!!

- Sarah

PleoPet

• Pleontologist
  • Female
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2011, 07:42:54 AM »

Ok, some additional comments.

Forgetting the battery in the charger is ok. That is safe since the batteries won't overcharge (and should be room temperature after they go into trickle charge mode).
Forgetting the battery in the Pleo can be a problem. Pleo can wake up on its own, which you may-or-may-not like. Also the battery is slowly draining and may not be full by the time you get around to playing with your Pleo.

> ...Just thought maybe you fixed something else and didn't realize, or something..
re: difference in behavior, overheating etc
The 'scared of the dark' patch is from a relatively recent version, and includes a few minor changes as well.
There may be other changes. There are many different versions of firmware floating around.
That's why I'm waiting for an official release from Innvo so everyone can be running the same version.

BTW: there are many other factors that determine the battery drain. If you use ChangeRB to crank up the activity level, your PleoRB will walk around a lot, and drain the battery faster. YMMV.

----
re: other firmware changes
I've examined several versions of the firmware, and it appears they are doing minor tweeks on the basic personality, sounds and motions, and folding them into newly shipped PleoRBs. The major change everyone is clamoring for is the sleep position fix.

----
re: sleep position
> And what do you mean about the sleeping position, you mean about holding the button down 4 seconds and they go into box position?
Yes, that is the easy test.
Hold the button until PleoRB goes to sleep.
If the neck and legs are bent, that is the old/older firmware.
If the neck and legs are straight, that is the new/newer firmware.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 08:47:19 AM by PleoPet »

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2011, 09:09:34 AM »

Thanks so much Pleopet.  Your information is always so valuable and much appreciated.
A fine looking pair of RB's you have there too. :)

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2011, 05:42:32 PM »

Thanks for the info PleoPet, I have never run ChangeRB or anything..

I was wondering, if I found the smallest possible micro sd card since this patch is I think 18kb, would that help with the slow downs?  The cards are fine, checked them.  A 1gb or if I can find something smaller? I have no clue how small they go..lol I'm checking online now. I need more cards anyways..

- Sarah

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2011, 12:16:16 AM »

Thanks for all the info and support, Pleopet.  ;D

I'm sorry if I made a lot of work for you by sharing it before you were really ready to publish!  :-[  :rootbeer:

PleoPet

• Pleontologist
  • Female
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2011, 09:55:02 AM »

latrine wrote:
> I was wondering, if I found the smallest possible micro sd card since this patch is I think 18kb, would that help with the slow downs?
The total size of the micro SD card shouldn't matter. Anything over 16MB should work, but they are hard to find that small.
Once they get above 2GB, there is a different SD protocol used called "SDHC". It does work in PleoRB, but it is another possible complication.

The number of files on the microSD card can be an issue. Quick Formatting the micro-SD card before putting the one .AMX file on it may help.

---
Crewella wrote:
> I'm sorry if I made a lot of work for you by sharing it before you were really ready to publish...
No problem.
Some of the behavior changes may or may not be related to the 'scared of the dark' patch. It is hard to diagnose with different firmware versions.
That's the advantage of the mirror/shadow/patch technology on the SD card. If you don't like the patch, take out the SD card and Pleo/PleoRB will use the builtin version with no patches.

Once there is an official released firmware update, most people will upgrade to that. That will be a known starting point for patches and maybe other improvements.

bhobbes

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2011, 10:05:06 AM »

If anyone is concerned, I used an 8gb (microSDHC, Class 10 [if the speed difference matters]) card to upgrade Cato the other day and it went smoothly.  

And previously I used an 8gb Class 4 card on him for some of the StatsRB related stuff.

And also a little 1gb (now dedicated to ChangeRB).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 10:07:09 AM by bhobbes »
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
« previous next »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal