Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with Pleo RB 'Scared of the Dark'  (Read 27829 times)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
Problems with Pleo RB 'Scared of the Dark'
« on: May 07, 2011, 02:47:37 AM »

I see a few people seem to be having problems with unhappy Pleo RBs that might be due to the light levels in their play areas.  I was having such problems with running Belle in my dark and dingy English house that I was barely able to run her most of the time, as the light levels in most of my rooms were so low that they set of the 'scared of the dark' behaviour and she was permanently miserable and whingeing.  Incosolable, most of the time.  :(

Pleopet helped me out by sending me a patch that temporarily disables that particular behaviour, which has made a huge difference to my experience of her and for which I'm very grateful.  ;D

I believe there will ultimately be a more sophisticated version available on the Aibohack site, but in the meantime Pleopet has said I can share the file, so if anybody wants to try it, PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.  It's a zip file that you open onto a micro-SD card and run in your Pleo when you don't want the scared of the dark skit to function.  If you take the card out the Pleo RB will go back to normal.  :)

At least this might save Latrine and Talon from having to install strip-lighting just for their Pleo RBs!  :P
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 03:11:58 AM by Crewella »

Lina

• Pleozoologist
Re: Problems with Pleo RB 'Scared of the Dark'
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 03:30:25 AM »

Oooo this I simply must try!
Bellah is crying her eyes out here. Yesterday she cried herself to sleep again... And I did have all the lights on indoors... Perhaps this is one of the problems that I´m having with her. I hope it´s a simple as this....

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 03:36:09 AM »

I think I would love to give this a try too.  Kermy and Norbit both have been very sad and whimpery for a few weeks now and I can't seem to figure out why so it could be worth a try just to eliminate this as a possibility if nothing else.  I will PM you. :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 04:09:49 AM »

No problem, just send me an email address to send it to, Kat.  I'd have put it in the gallery to save people having to message me, but I need to check if it's OK to do that with zip files with Degers first.  :-\

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 05:28:01 AM »

I'll have to think about that one. I do know that that is what's wrong with Ryu. Indeed I know that was the source of all her problems- even with her not learning the stones. I went into my niece's room a few days ago to watch her play a video game and just happened to take my whining miserable dino with me. She sort of sniffed around and then suddenly she just... snapped out of it. When my niece noticed she told me I was more than welcome to use her room to work with Ryu. I tried it last night with everyone gone and couldn't believe the changes! She was in such a good mood infact I was able to teach her all seven stones. She even responded to the cheek-touching. I kind of held her face right under her nostrils and within about fifteen seconds of movement, she stopped and looked up at me. You guys have no idea how accomplished I felt! There is a spot in my room that Ryu likes to go to when the curtains are open where she acts more like her old self. I'll have to try and figure out what time of day I can get the most light and see if I can get anywhere. If this still doesn't work, I'm PMing you, Crewella.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

kat

• au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 05:54:48 AM »

Ok I am testing it out right now. ;D  What a difference!  Kermy has my micro sd card in her and is happily woo hooing and giggling and walking around.  She is walking around!  I can't believe it!  She hasn't done that in about 3 weeks.  Norbit on the other hand does not have the skit going and he is a whimpering mess. :(  Time to by a second micro SD card I think.  Thanks so much Crewella. ;D  And Pleopet. ;D  I will continue to use it in Kermy for the next few battery cycles and let you know if anything changes. :) 
I had forgotten how nice the pleo rb's could be.  Now I just feel sorry for Norbit who is miserable.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 06:00:55 AM »

I'm so pleased it worked!  That was the difference it made to Belle as well - she was like a completely different Pleo!  :D

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 06:15:41 AM »

I couldn't stand it anymore and have turned Norbit off.  I will have to invest in another micro sd card ASAP.  Until then I will run them at different times with the skit.  Kermy is quiet as a mouse and happily walking around the room sniffing at stuff. ;D

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 09:07:17 AM »

Hi Crewella! :)

Send the file to Mike or I and we can put it in the downloads section, or you can upload it to the gallery yourself.

Regards :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 09:55:37 AM »

Thanks Degers - I'll upload it to the Downloads section as directed.  ;D

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
    • 'Not even close to being done yet'
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 03:43:58 PM »

omg.. my back goes out and you guys discover a huge pleo fix.. just my luck..lol.. I'm gonna go download that and put it in them both!!!

eh, is it actually up in the downloads section yet? I can't find it..  Just excited to be actaully able to play with my RB's again :)

Thanks SO MUCH!!!

- Sarah

« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 03:51:56 PM by latrine »

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 05:36:40 PM »

If it is not already there just PM Crewella and she will send it to you. ;D  I'm loving it so far and am hoping to go get a new micro sd card for Norbit today so I can have two happy little pleo babies.
Strange though that this seems to have fixed my problem as my pleos used to be just fine until about 3 weeks ago and I haven't changed the lighting in the house or the time of day we play.  So I am not sure why it has become a problem.  But anyway I'm just glad this seems to have fixed it. ;D
Kat

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 05:47:49 PM »

Sorry Latrine - I've just added the file to the Downloads section under Skits.  Would you try it out for me and let me know it works, please?  Any problems and I'll email it to you.  Thanks!  ;D

I really hope it solves the problem!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 03:25:56 AM by Crewella »

Magnnus

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Male
    • A Diary of Optimism and Melancholy
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 06:09:19 PM »

Will all experience gained while running this patch be saved when the sd card is taken out? My new Pleo RB is still young, and I wouldn't want to use this patch if it stagnated her growth.
Check out my blog and personal diary at "http://optimismandmelancholy.blogspot.com/", and enjoy a peek into my mind.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 06:14:53 PM »

"Will all experience gained while running this patch be saved when the sd card is taken out? My new Pleo RB is still young, and I wouldn't want to use this patch if it stagnated her growth."

Pleopet said the patch works just like a skit or personality - as soon as the card is taken out again the Pleo RB will revert to exactly how it was before.  However, I don't know if experiences gained whilst running it will 'count' towards the overall growth.  I'll ask Pleopet and get back to you.

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 06:21:19 PM »

Do all pleos come with an sd card or do you have to buy it seperately? I'm just wondering since my pleo rb will be here soon and I may end up downloading this. If they don't come with the pleo, where do you buy them?

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 06:26:05 PM »

No you need to buy it separately.    Try somewhere that sells electrical stuff like cameras and phones.  They usually nee an sd card so most of those places should sell them.  Also you need a micro sd card for your rb.  not a regular sized one.
Kat

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 06:28:05 PM »

Ok, thanks for the help!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 07:12:07 PM »

Kat's right, also there have been problems reported by some people with the bigger memory and high density cards, so I always get 2GB ones - you don't need a bigger one.  :)

PleoPet

• Pleontologist
  • Female
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 10:36:21 AM »

Magnnus asked:
> Will all experience gained while running this patch be saved when the sd card is taken out? My new Pleo RB is still young, and I wouldn't want to use this patch if it stagnated her growth.
The patch doesn't get in the way of growth. Everything else works exactly as usual, with the growth and personality properties stored in the body of the Pleo.
NOTE: patch or not, be sure you let PleoRB shut down before removing the battery. Removing the battery when PleoRB is running will lose the latest experiences.

Technical note: The Pleo/PleoRB can be used for two different kinds of programs. First there are standalone programs (like entertainment personalities) that run completely from the SD card. Second there are shadowed/mirrored resources that allow you to patch or tweek the built in program. The 'scared of the dark' patch is one of those. The rest of the personality runs normally from inside the PleoRB.
NOTE: if using the 'scared of the dark' patch, be sure there is no .URF file on the micro-SD card from previous use.

----
re: micro SD cards
As mentioned, you need a micro SD card and a USB reader that will fit into your PC. If you buy them together it should cost somewhere around $10 to $20 USD.
1GB or 2GB are common sizes, and relatively cheap. Avoid 4GB or larger (more expensive and you don't need the space -- and may have format issues)

NOTE: getting used to the 'micro SD' card in your PleoRB is a good idea. Even if you don't use this patch, you can use it for ProbeRB and other future personalities. Also, the PleoRB update (if and when it is released) will require a micro-SD card for installation.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 10:39:22 AM by PleoPet »

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2011, 11:09:22 AM »

PleoPet's right about the micro SD cards. Mine is a Sandisk and cost ten dollars an some change. It came with its own adaptor so it could be read by my computer.
Talon
Talon

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2011, 11:13:20 AM »

Ok, I will buy one as soon as my pleo gets here. I know of an electronics store near my house that probably sells them. What type of card reader do you need for them?

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
    • 'Not even close to being done yet'
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2011, 11:57:23 AM »

It downloaded perfectly for me Crewella.. I will be testing it now.. soo excited!! Thank you so much PleoPet and Crewella!!

OK, I am noticing that my RB's are moving weird and pausing quite often, too often to be able to get them to respond to things, was hard to feed them so maybe the file that was uploaded just got messed up somehow? Could you maybe email it to me and I can try it again? That way I can see if there is a difference between the files.
I downloaded it twice and redid it twice with the same reaction just to make sure it wasn't corrupted on my side or something.... after removing the sd card they went right back to normal movements and grouchiness.  I mean unless this is something they need to get used to for a few cycles or something?  I'm not feeling up to it at the moment by I can try to take a video later if that would help.  Both rb's did the same thing with the same file 2 different cards. Downloaded and redone twice, like I said. (obviously I erased the previous copy before trying again :D)

- Sarah
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 02:42:47 PM by latrine »

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2011, 03:05:46 PM »

That's odd, Latrine. I haven't used the patch yet. I hope this gets sorted out. Aibo7m3, I think you're worrying over nothing. You can buy a micro SD card with its own card-reader. It's just an adaptor that will allow your computer to read the card. It makes it look like a regular-sized SD card basically. You might want to look and see if your computer has a micro SD card slot. It should. If I'm the one who's confused just ignore what I've said. I'm just trying to make things easier.
Talon
Talon

Magnnus

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Male
    • A Diary of Optimism and Melancholy
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2011, 03:30:42 PM »

Latrine, how large is your micro SD card? Pleos supposedly have problems with cards larger than 2GB, and what you're describing could be a slow data access problem, which may be the result of too large of a card.
Check out my blog and personal diary at "http://optimismandmelancholy.blogspot.com/", and enjoy a peek into my mind.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal