Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frozen Pleo.  (Read 5565 times)

fimoman

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
    • My Facebook Page
Frozen Pleo.
« on: April 21, 2011, 08:54:32 AM »

I need some advice, something's up with Littlefoot.

He seemed perfectly normal, and was running normally today (though he seemed to geta little sick around lunctim, but he brushed that off after a nap and a snack), until a while ago when he sort of froze up. When I turn him off and back on, after aout 5 seconds he makes the "huh?" noise that they make when you turn them on, but after that, he sort of makes a few tiny noises (which sound cut off) and sometimes twitches a tiny bit, but otherwise he's just frozen. No reaction to touch, no stretching, nothing... :(

I'm gonna try just recharging his batteries, but if that doesn't work, what would be the next option? reinstalling his OS? Reverting to 1.0 and starting again?

pirpintine

Re: Frozen Pleo.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 09:01:17 AM »

my pleo does that when his battery is low, or if hes too hot.  so try the batteries :)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 09:04:23 AM »

Hi Sorry to hear about LittleFoot, sounded like a Pleo Rb at first till I heard you say the operating system, What type of battery do you use, green original or a Egg type battery, the white Li-Polymer ones? I would think the battery is your best bet to start with. If you charge the battery and then still are having problems, you may need to talk to someone who can give you better adivice. How long have you had the battery you are using as they do just wear out eventually, though I haven't had that particuular problem, either they are dead green batteries or I am using white Egg batteries and have no problems. Good luck with testing the battery on LittleFoot! :)
                               RWM  AKa " the Mad Pleo Painter of the Redwoods"
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 09:06:08 AM »

My ugobe does that too when his battery is running low.  I think he will be just fine once he has had a recharge. :)

fimoman

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 10:20:39 AM »

Hi Sorry to hear about LittleFoot, sounded like a Pleo Rb at first till I heard you say the operating system, What type of battery do you use, green original or a Egg type battery, the white Li-Polymer ones? I would think the battery is your best bet to start with. If you charge the battery and then still are having problems, you may need to talk to someone who can give you better adivice. How long have you had the battery you are using as they do just wear out eventually, though I haven't had that particuular problem, either they are dead green batteries or I am using white Egg batteries and have no problems. Good luck with testing the battery on LittleFoot! :)
                               RWM  AKa " the Mad Pleo Painter of the Redwoods"

Yeah, I use the old green batteries. I got 2 of them, and I've had them since Tuesday 12th. What makes it so strange is that up till now, they've been working fine. But then again, I've pretty much just been habitually charging the batteries every night. So, this could just be the batteries finally drying up and needing total charge, and me just panicking because it's not happened before.

Well, I'll try charging them both up as much as I can, and get back to ya.

EDIT: Just in case it makes a difference, my desc. of the symptoms was a bit off: I turn him on, he goes "huh?", he twitches a tiny bit, makes some broken noise and stands still. Then he sometimes goes "huh?" again after a few seconds.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 10:29:01 AM by fimoman »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 06:24:46 PM »

Just a thought, try letting Littlefoot run for a while, until he stops making any noises or movement, this will mean the battery is completely drained.

Some tips for the future DO NOT leave the batteries on overnight, they take four hours to charge and they may be overcharging despite the fact that the charger is supposed to turn off. Also this means you can't see what is happening and how long they are actually charging for. I posted some further advice on your other thread.

Also in future please don't make two threads for the same issue, it makes giving advice disjointed, it will be harder for anyone trying to follow this thread and it means that you left out a vital piece of information (above) out of your other thread. Thank you.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

fimoman

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 09:07:01 AM »

Just a thought, try letting Littlefoot run for a while, until he stops making any noises or movement, this will mean the battery is completely drained.

Some tips for the future DO NOT leave the batteries on overnight, they take four hours to charge and they may be overcharging despite the fact that the charger is supposed to turn off. Also this means you can't see what is happening and how long they are actually charging for. I posted some further advice on your other thread.

Also in future please don't make two threads for the same issue, it makes giving advice disjointed, it will be harder for anyone trying to follow this thread and it means that you left out a vital piece of information (above) out of your other thread. Thank you.

:-[ Heh, point taken. Sry about that. The other thread was supposed to just be an intro thread for him. I'll give that idea of completely draining a try before I send off the batteries to Crewella, who has kindly offered to try reconditioning them for me.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 12:57:23 AM »

I hope you can get them working :) The egg batteries are wonderful but it is quite a bit to spend when you have a tight budget.

fimoman

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 12:38:37 PM »

Well, I got the batteries back from Crewella a hwile back, and I'm sad to say, the reconditioning has had no effect. He still freezes and does nothing. What's more, Crewella insisted that they did work for her Pleos, so I fear that Littlefoot may just be bricked.

I did have an idea to open him up to check if it's a mechanical error, but one incision in, I realised that to effectively examine his mechanisms, I'd effectively have to flay him.

*sigh*...... Tell me, do bricked Pleos sell for anything?

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 02:28:06 PM »

Oh my my, are you trying to create another Humpty Pleo, :o Yes, Bricked Pleos sell for if nothing else their skin is often worth a bit and sometimes you can get them working, I have gotten numerous Pleos that were "not working", but it is just because the old green batteries are no good, There was one on ebay a week or so ago, that did not work and sold for less than $100, but more than $50.00, can't remember exact amount without going back to my "watched " list. I would say you could sell him for in the neighborhood of $25.00 and up depending on where you sell him, I know there have been several members here, who are looking for "skin" but do not want to take it off a "working Pleo". HOpe that helps. :)
                                                                    RWM
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

fimoman

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 03:26:52 PM »

Oh my my, are you trying to create another Humpty Pleo, :o Yes, Bricked Pleos sell for if nothing else their skin is often worth a bit and sometimes you can get them working, I have gotten numerous Pleos that were "not working", but it is just because the old green batteries are no good, There was one on ebay a week or so ago, that did not work and sold for less than $100, but more than $50.00, can't remember exact amount without going back to my "watched " list. I would say you could sell him for in the neighborhood of $25.00 and up depending on where you sell him, I know there have been several members here, who are looking for "skin" but do not want to take it off a "working Pleo". HOpe that helps. :)
                                                                    RWM

Heh, don't worry, it was just a straight 2-or-so-inch incision along his spine, and I managed to glue it back together pretty well. I'd seen what happened to Humpty, and took it as inspiration on what NOT to do.

Also, $50? Not too bad, I guess. And then I could sell the other stuff (batteries, charger, etc) and maybe get a couple bucks more.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 03:40:35 PM »

Eeeeek - Fimo!  :o  Try connecting to Dinomite and see if there's a connection there?  Sometimes a software upgrade/downgrade will sort out bricked Pleos.  It's much more likely to work than breaking into him.

I'm really sorry the battery reconditioning didn't work - I tried both in Budge and he worked for 5-10 minutes on both of them.  :(

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 05:05:54 PM »

Finoman try downgrading the OS and re upgrading, that may help if there is a corrupted file somewhere. Also Dinomite is your best friend, use it :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 05:42:31 PM »

Yep - as IMR says, downgrading and then upgrading again has unbricked a couple of my 'faulty' Pleos.  :)

fimoman

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 05:03:11 AM »

Thanks for the advice guys. I did have one slight suspicion that it is a software glitch. I have been having some issues with my computer recently, and I have a theory that somehow, one of the many viruses or glitchy programs in the computer got into him when I did the 1.1 upgrade. So when I get my machine back from the techies, I'll try the downgrade. The program is in the downloads section on here, right?

Also, I thought Dinomite and those other diagnostic programs only worked with PM2 and RB pleos?

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 05:26:45 AM »

Nope, Dinomite was around before PM2 ever came out so it works on the older versions, and I've actually not tried it with Belle the RB so can't be sure it will work for the RBs.  Hopefully, somebody will confirm that.  Give it a try if you can, I hope your computer issues get sorted out.

*gently prods IMR*  ;)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 08:26:48 PM »

I'm here, I'm here lol. No Dinomite sadly will not work with the RB's. Dinomite requires the Pleo to be on to function, and RB's must be turned off to access the micro USB :P

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 09:20:26 PM »

Thank you IMR!  :D

fimoman

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 01:05:28 PM »

Well, I've got Dino-Mite, but can't get it to work. Every time I open it, I just get:

Runtime error 339

Component 'COMDLG32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: A file is missing or invalid.

Also, I've looked around for a downgrade, but it looks like the only proper one is SD only. And I tried the 1.0.2 upgrade, and I did get more movement, and him reverting to his hatchling stage, but still freezing up. I might try reupdating him to 1.1, see if that helps, but if not, I'll wait until my next allowance comes in and get some SD cards and try the SD route instead. It looks to be alot faster and simpler.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2011, 01:31:47 PM »

There is a fix for dinomite somewhere, it requires downloading that file and installing it manually.

fimoman

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 11:08:22 AM »

GOOD NEWS LADLES AND MENTLEGEN!

By some miracle, Littlefoot's back up and running! Looks like he just needed some time for the 1.0.2 downgrade to sink in. However, he reverted back to his hatchling stage when he started working again. Not a huge deal, but still. He's just taking a nap on my desk right now.

I'm thinking of reupgrading him to 1.1, but after all this, I'm a bit apprehensive. Maybe I'll see if I can use a different computer to do it.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 02:11:41 PM »

That's great! I'm glad he's working again! Welcome back, Littlefoot!
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 02:16:24 PM »

I'm so pleased you have him up and running again!  :D

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 04:57:32 PM »

I'm glad you got him going again  :)  Yay for Littlefoot!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal