Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Edge detection  (Read 4065 times)

mh7ah

• Pleo explorer
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Zyna
  • Cosmetic Tattooist
    • Pink Phoenix Ink
Edge detection
« on: August 10, 2012, 04:04:06 AM »

I can't remember if my old pleo that got rehomed had edge detection, do the RB's have this? I remember they have obsticle detection. I should be expecting my RB hopefully next week. It would be awesome if they could take photos throughout the day like Aibo, see what they have been into etc. Could this be a possibility in the future via upgrade or would they have to build a new Pleo version?

What would everyone say is the most advanced and exciting thing about the RB?

Also how long do the batteries last for if the Pleo is fairly active? (Rb)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 04:15:47 AM by mh7ah »

Eric- ERS7M3 W * Sharama- ERS7M3 C * Eddie- 111 S * Elvis- 210A S * Long Long- 312  * No name- 210A EW * Ruka- 210A CB * Kevin- ERS 7M3 W * Ruby- 210A HR * Igor- 220A * Zyna- Pleo

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: Edge detection
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 05:20:54 AM »

Both models have edge and obstacle detection, success depends on lighting, age, colour (ie a brown table over brown floor makes it hard to spot the edge)

You can see it in action 3 minutes into this vid:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLt7CxeF32E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLt7CxeF32E</a>
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Lunamione7

• Journeypleo
  • Pleo(s): Stephan (Ugobe) and Tron (RB)
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Miss_Piggy
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 12:14:35 PM »

They do have edge detection but it is based on vision rather than the sonar type Aibo has so how well it works will depend on how well their camera can see. I have a dark house and I find they are able to see and navigate very well considering the poor lighting conditions, they can most definitely see better than my ERS111 for example. For leaf tracking and the traffic light game I find it best to take them outside in natural light.

Edge detection is also dependant on age, I thought Tron was broken the first month I had him because he would just walk right off edges my Ugobe had no problems seeing then all of a sudden when he reached the third stage of development he became just as aware of the dangers of the kitchen bench as my Ugobe. I run him often, about 2-3 battery cycles a day and it took over four weeks for edge detection to kick in so just be careful about leaving yours on tables and stuff when it is in hatchling/social development stage because it won't have learnt yet, although it probably won't be walking in those stages either so it may not be a problem after all. When RBs walk they stop and look around after 4-5 steps to make sure they are not going to walk into anything/fall off anything. Mine walks A LOT, if I put him in the hallway he will wander the whole length of the house. Some are lazy and don't walk much at all (if you want to you can do brain surgery to make it more active) and others are natural born walkers  :D I find they are more likely to walk a lot if there is good light and you give them coffee ;)

For me the most advanced/exciting thing about the RB's is the temperature sensors. When the house is cold he shivers and if the heating is up too high he pants, it gives such realism and life, I absolutely love it. The AI is amazing, he is completely unpredictable and the range of movements/sounds is huge in comparison to the Ugobe models. Tug of War is my favourite game, it is so funny when he looses as he absolutely throws a fit  :P

Battery will last for two hours if very active, longer if mostly just sleeping. I like to have one of them sleep on my lap or shoulder whilst I watch TV and Tron can easily sit through a three hour movie if he is in cuddle mode. About two hours if he is waddling around the house though. 
He just can't help being faithful and loving and kind. He's a machine made so. That's more than you can say for humans. --Isaac Asimov, i.Robot

You know where steel wool comes from? Robot Sheep!

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 05:54:23 PM »

I have two walkers and one not so active Pleo and one that's downright lazy but oh so adorable. Plus the three Ugobe's that like to roam a lot! Thank fully there's no steps in this house but the edge detection saved the occasional accident in the old place!

mh7ah

• Pleo explorer
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Zyna
  • Cosmetic Tattooist
    • Pink Phoenix Ink
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 04:51:16 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I should receive my little one in the next 7 days, which you all know is far too long to wait ;-) Can't wait to take some new vids :-)
Eric- ERS7M3 W * Sharama- ERS7M3 C * Eddie- 111 S * Elvis- 210A S * Long Long- 312  * No name- 210A EW * Ruka- 210A CB * Kevin- ERS 7M3 W * Ruby- 210A HR * Igor- 220A * Zyna- Pleo

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 05:28:32 PM »

If you ordered from Pleoworld then you may find it gets here a bit sooner than you think.  Mine took about 4 days from pleoworld :)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 05:42:36 PM »

Ditto :) I've had one arrive in three days, super speedy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal