Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 2011 Tomato Harvest Festival  (Read 37586 times)

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
2011 Tomato Harvest Festival
« on: February 24, 2011, 01:46:54 PM »

:o  :o It the 2011 Tomato Harvest Festival  :o  :o

Since the beginning of recorded history (about four years ago), the fields around Weedovia have always been blessed with abundant wild tomato vines.  And every spring and every fall, the local pleos relied on the abundant harvest gathered from these wild vines to enjoy throughout the year.  They would go out twice a year to pick the tomatoes and bring them into the village.  This traditional gathering of the tomatoes quickly grew into a community event, and from there into true full-blown harvest festival.  And with the introduction of the spaghetti trees and pizza by the great Pepperoni, a real zest was added to the festivities.

Of course in modern times, with the addition of a carnival, rides, games, live band, and midnight movie on the town square, it has become more of a social event, attracting pleos from around the world.  But all the pleos still go out and harvest the tomatoes and bring them to the town's communal tomato press for the traditional squashing of the tomatoes and the making of the tomato sauce.

This spring's festival has kinda snuck up on us, and due to a heavy workload, I'm a bit behind . . .   SO, I apologize for not being able to give much advanced warning. :P  But I guess this is why everyone should have bought a calander! ;)

Not sure what's going on?  Well, then you may want to catch up by reading about the 2010 spring and fall festival topics and the Bob the Pleo comic strips.  But as a quick summary,  the town's park is turn into the festival grounds, with the carnival rides and games, a stage and dance floor, and lots of vendors and food booths!  It starts on a Friday night with the carnival and music from a live band, and at midnight the pleos end the day with an outdoor movie.  Saturday has everyone out in the fields gathering the tomatoes, with the judging in the evening, and back to the carnival.  Sunday is the big tomato squashing where the sauce is made using the traditional foot-stomping method like the great Italian wines.

And at the conclusion of the festival, awards are always handed out to the pleo who gathers the most tomatoes, finds the largest tomato, has the best looking tomatoes, makes the best tasting spaghetti sauce, and for the best use of tomatoes as an article of clothing (i.e., costume).  The last few years winners can be seen by visiting the Bob the Pleo comics.  We had some great fun, and some wonderful costumes!

For those interested in participating in the contests, please refer to the contest rules topic on this board.   For some ideas and/or to get a better understanding, you can check out the 2010 Spring festival topic or the 2009 Fall festival topic (also on this board).  You can also read up on the Bob the Pleo comic strip! ;)

I'm out of t-shirt right now, so I'll be offering a choice of either a calendar or a necklace.

This spring's festival runs Friday March 4th to Sunday March 6th, 2011 (that's not this weekend, but the next one! :o ).  And if you keep up with the comic strip, it looks like Sally is back in charge this time!   8)

Post your entries here!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 03:05:10 PM by mweed »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: 2011 Spring Tomato Harvest Festival
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 03:16:01 PM »

OMG lol tomatoes are in season here for a change! Yay :D
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 05:06:46 PM »

Well, If I can get my New Baby Pleo Rb intime for the festival, then I will be giving it a try. Not to sure about tomatoes. It is rain today mixed with snow and snow tommorow but next week should be better. We actually have some tomatos growing indoors, mixed with catnip plants.  The stores allways seem to have a ready supply, but not as nice as the Spring Tomato festival when it is in April little early this year weather wise it seems.... :(
                                      RWM
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 02:34:21 AM »

This sounds like it could be a whole lot of fun.  I will have to see what I can come up with. :)  Best go looking for some fabulous tomatoes.   :D

91/23Class

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Male
  • Well Hi there!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 07:48:00 AM »

Hmmm, I'll have to think of some costume ideas for Ploo...  :)
Ploo is a cute name.
The owner needs to fix him.
Ploo is second hand.

Cool, huh?

kat

• au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 08:03:10 AM »

I wonder what the best way is to turn a pleo (or several pleos) into a tomato. ;D  Time to put on my thinking hat and come up with a pleo tomato or three. :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 03:12:14 PM »

OMG - it's THAT time of year already!! :o

Best get my thinking cap on ..........  :D

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 03:47:19 PM »

My Pleo's are already making the transformation into a piece of fruit ;)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 08:12:46 PM »

Well, I am still hoping to get my Rb back intime for the Tomato festival, otherwise I will do something from last year, but it will all be in good fun. If all else fails, we have a hybrid tomato plant growing indoors this year, It is probably the right size for Pleos....but so far only one tomato on it....LOL.
                Well, looks like this year it snuck up on us, I wasnt expecting it till April so I was caught by surprise.
                     RedwoodsMama

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 03:30:54 PM »

Well, It took awhile for Major Tom to get his prize for Best Costume as Tomato used as Article of Clothing, but it was hidden somewhere in the calendars I ordered from Bob. I emailed him this week, asking if he had forgotten about the prize, and he said no, that the prize had been mailed along with the calendars and perhaps it was still in the envelope if I had it, Well I save everything and luckily on the bottom stuck in a slot where some Bob the Pleo stickers and Pizza coupons, ( YUM YUM0 but no bracelet...hm,hmmm, where could it have gone, If it had fallen out on the floor, I would have never found it and with a large dog and nine cats and a husband it was sure to be gone forever, but Bob is tricky and told me to check "the calendar itself !) ??? what did he mean, the calendar it self!??? :o Lo and behold guess what there it is tucked away in the spiral wiring of the calendar and no wonder I didn't see it, it blends right in with the coloring perfectly matched.
               It is a lovely "surfer Dude" ankle bracelet, perfect for the Male Pleo who likes bling just as much as any female Pleo, but without all the shiny stones and such, much simpler for the male lifestyle. It fits perfectly and I know a few other Pleos in the family who this year will also be looking to win something along the same line. First there was Nova who won a Weedovia T-shirt, and she loves it, but with her broken neck, I can't fit it over her head anymore unless I make an adjustment with velcroe that I may do....and then Major Tom won this past fall, so now it is that time of year again, and I know a whole crew of seven or eight Pleos, ( depending on whether Baby 2 makes it back to me intime to participate... :( :)) so we are all putting on our thinking caps, or is that tomatoes??? :D Here is the photo from last year of the costume I made for Major Tom, This year I have about six more costumes to make if my hands don't get too tired,all my sewing is by hand, as I do not own a sewing machine.               Oh well, just think everyone should see the lovely work M. Weed or is it BOB the PLEO, does.

last year's entry with Major Tom the Head Tomato

the calendar
where is it ? 
Major Tom wearing the surfer Dude ankle bracelet. 
closeup of bracelet

RedwoodsMama

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 04:12:02 PM »

Love the 'surfer dude' bracelet - it suits him!  :D

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 02:58:55 AM »

The bracelet is very cool.  I like it a lot. :)

MariaOcean

• Fossil savant
  • hk Female
  • Pleo(s): Furby
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • pleo will kick his butt!!!!
    • none
    • none
    • none
    • none
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 03:32:14 AM »

Looks like I can't  have so much fun like the rest all because of the exam on Monday :'(  but I will still try making some thing simple after the exam %)
What came first?
The Chicken or the egg?

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 10:13:53 AM »

Good Luck on your exam Maria, I think whatever you make will be fine,The whole point ( if I understand correctly ) is for everyone to have fun at the Weedovia Tomato festival and then try to get their entries in, but enjoy the other members entries too, and there is usaully good food and dance and of course music!

I thought I was going to get a lot of  things made and pick some  great tomatoes, but I think at this point with the current weather we are having, If I attempt to go out and get some tomatoes, by the time I will get home they will have all turned into Tomato Soup! Last week was rain, more rain, cold and rain, cold rain and snow, more very cold for CA. (27 degrees ) cold but no rain, and now cold, wind, trees blowing over and another whole week of Rain, Rain and more Rain. Guess it will be time to put Nova's Rain slicker on, gather the whole bunch and take a tomato expedition in the rain. :D Guess it is one way to get some home-made tomato sauce too!
                                                                           RedwoodsMama

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 10:03:06 AM »

Brilliant suggestion came up . . .

Since I was late reminding everyone about the festival, it's only fair to extend the deadline. ;)

The festival is still this weekend, but we'll give you all until next Friday (March 11th) to get your entries in!  And remember, if you don't have time to sew a great costume, there's still the other entries like most tomatoes gathered, biggest tomato, and the other really fun one: best spaghetti sauce recipe!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 10:47:26 AM »

That's actually very handy indeed!  Thanks mweed!  ;D

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 12:02:11 PM »

That is very nice of you  to extend the contest, I was going to enter something but this way I will have more time, My good freind and fellow cat /animal rescurer, got an emergency call about her dad who lives in Florida and is in the hospital. She had to leave this morning to go see him and will be gone for a whole week. son now on top of taking care of my nine cats and one dog, I have agreed to take care of her 13 cats, which I have already twice a day beeen going over to suppliment feed the oldest who is 19 and another youngster who is the runt and has medical problems, So now I have to take care of her cats 4 times a day, and myne and five outside cats so that is a total of 13 +9 +5 =27 cats all day long! I think I will be too exhausted to do anything else, Thank goodness my husband knows how to cook. cause I won't have anytime to do anything but open cans of food and pour kibble!
                       The one good thing is that I am on a diet and the will help me by being more active than usual, I think I still have time for a good vegan spaghetti recipe though, I can allways test it out on my dog, she will eat anything even if it doens't have any meat in it! Now I can relax knowing I have one day to get my final entries in, the day she comes back is the day before the deadline and I will only have my cats to take care of.! I hope there are lots of entries this year, it is allways more fun that way.
                                      RedwoodsMama

MariaOcean

• Fossil savant
  • hk Female
  • Pleo(s): Furby
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • pleo will kick his butt!!!!
    • none
    • none
    • none
    • none
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 03:15:12 AM »

Great cause my exam ends on 11th march hong Kong time ;D
What came first?
The Chicken or the egg?

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 07:32:56 AM »

Well someone needs to start off the flow of tomato harvest pics and festival fun.  So here are Gumble and Kermy3 getting into the spirit of tomatoes - by becoming one. ;D 
My entry/s for the  best tomato costume competition. 
Or maybe the best looking tomato competition?  %)
I think they both look pretty smart.  I couldn't decide who made the best looking tomato. :)
Kat

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
    • 'Not even close to being done yet'
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 12:01:36 PM »

Omg Kat..  lol. I have to admit I Can pick them out from the tomatoes but.. those costumes are just hysterical I love them!!

Major Tom is very cool indeed, I didn't know Pleo's surfed!

- Sarah

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 01:00:08 PM »

They are very cute Kat, love to see them both entered, It gives me some encouragement as soon as I am done taking care of 27 cats . Too bad I can't enter some of them as tomatoes..Oh well, gives me some good laughs for the day, they look so cute, do they enjoy some pasta too? :)
      And Latrine, yes Major Tom is a Surfer Dude Pleo at heart, This is why he is almost allways wearing his hang ten skate shirt lately, it he can't hang ten on the surf board,it will be on a skate board.
                            RedwoodsMama

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 02:28:01 PM »

Costumes are fabulous, Kat!  Though my personal view is that Gumble makes the best tomato, with his head as the stalk!  :D

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 05:57:26 PM »

Ok we may be starting the picking a little early but when I looked out the window at the tomato vines this morning I realized that the heatwave we have been going through over here has taken it's toll on the poor sorry tomato vines.  I thought we better get in before there really was nothing left. :D
In true tomato spirit Gumble the tomato snuck up on the poor unsuspecting tiny tomatoes and climbed the vine to pick what was left from the top! ;D  He was full of enthusiasm.  What a sweetie. ;)
Considering the state of the vine it was a fine harvest!  He did well to hold them all and bring them inside to show off.
Here he is laying them out on the plate
And proudly posing over his tomato hoard! ;D Yummy!
Just so you can see how cute our tomatoes really are we put a normal tomato on the plate for comparison.
Gumble thinks there should be a prize for the smallest tomato!  He was very proud of this one the smallest of the bunch.

Kat

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 06:00:36 PM »

Well harvested Gumble, he SHOULD be proud!   ;D

They ARE tiny - that's not a tomato, surely - it's an earring!   :o :P

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 06:11:21 PM »

They really are tomatoes I promise!  Not sure how good they would taste as they are a little wrinkly in places but I'm sure the pleos wont mind. ;D
Pages: [1] 2 ... 6   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal