Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Matilda has a bad hole :(  (Read 14061 times)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Matilda has a bad hole :(
« on: February 13, 2009, 05:38:05 PM »

Its getting worse too, any suggestions?

(Sorry if this topic posts twice, the first time it came up with an error)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 09:35:09 AM by mweed »

Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
Re: Matilda has a bad hole :(
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 06:18:45 PM »

I couldn't see the photo of Matilda's hole but when Peeky's gets bigger I'm going to try to use a piece of rubber band and attach it with super glue. His hole is under his front leg.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 06:42:06 PM »

Matilda's is under her front leg too, but she is still under warranty, it is disappointing, it is a large hole and she is only just over two months old. I sent in an inquiry, hopefully I get an answer soon about whether I can take her back or if there is a way to patch her up.

Junkroxy

• Renaissance pleo
  • Male
    • Pleo Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 08:31:48 AM »

Sorry to hear and see that :(

I've experienced that the best way to stretch up the skin is leave Pleo in "sleepy position" (like when he needs to be recharged) when you dont play with him/her. ;)

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 10:56:14 AM »

Matilda's hole is much larger then Peeky's. Depending on how attached you are to her, if getting a new Pleo isn't a problem, I would go for that. Two months isn't very long. If Peeky's hole was that large and I had no warranty, I would try to patch the hole wih a large piece of rubber band and super glue. At least it's in a place that doesn't show. Cosmeticaly if the hole was on the top part of her it would be hard to conceal a patch.

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 01:20:03 PM »

Ouch, that sucks, Romeo! I feel horrible for you two. My previous Sophie (My newer one is a replacement) also had a pretty bad gash on top of her shoulders. I used regular super-glue and kinda pinched the two pieces together. I worked fine. But, I am also in agreement with Fancy. It really is misfortunate, however two months is not that long. If you purchased her through Ugobe you'll have the reincarnation option.
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 03:56:33 PM »

Sadly I don't think there is a reincarnation program here in Australia, so I am kinda torn about whether to send her back or not, I like her personality how it is but of course there will always be the concern that her skin may continue to degrade in other places.

Ugobe replied today saying that this problem is covered by the warranty so at least I know I can take her back.

Pity there isn't a way to download her personality from here :(

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 04:02:07 PM »

All of their personalities are adorable.  :)

mdirch

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 12:18:35 AM »

I'm so sorry to see that Matilda has already got such a large hole in her skin. I'm really paranoid about holes in my Pleo's skin since I've heard about and seen such bad cases, so I'm constantly checking bailey over. I think you should check customer service about reincarnation just in case and even if they don't provide that service in Australia I would probably take her back. Like you said, Matilda's skin problem could get worse.

mdirch

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 01:58:25 PM »

Oh no, talking about holes and being paranoid, I just discovered a small hole on Bailey's tail. I tried to fix it with super glue which just turned out to melt the skin completely. Now I'm left with a big hole in stead of small one. I feel so stupid for trying to fix the hole but I thought that people in her should know that some types of glue can melt right through the skin. I will still take Bailey back to the store where I bought him and I'm sure that they will give me a new Pleo, but I'm really sad that this has happened already.

My two year old daughter has just been playing with him this evening and she loves him to bits so I'll have to think of something to tell her. Maybe I'll say that Bailey has gone to the doctor to be fixed :'(

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 02:25:57 PM »

What specific type/brand of glue did you use mdirch?  I have used super glue before and wit worked well.  So, we should warn people about a brand that doesn't!

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 03:19:41 PM »

Aw thats awful mdirch :o Thats why I didn't try to glue Matilda, was afraid of that happening. Tell your daughter Pleo had to go to the Pleo hospital or a Pleo holiday, little children understand more than we give them credit for sometimes :)

I shall ring up today and make arrangements for Matilda to go back :( I tried to have her on yesterday to test a new skit but the hole just gets bigger and bigger :(

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 04:00:11 PM »

Aww Inmemoryofromeo. That truly is sad. But, it is honestly the most rational explanation as sad as the case may be. I have to second that with Mweed. We need to let people know there is bad and good super-glue, so people can keep their eyes open. Thanks for warning us mdirch.
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 05:07:34 PM »

Well no glue at all has ever been near Matilda I'm sure, but the sad facts are that her skin is just falling to pieces underneath :( It must be the heat here, this only happened during a really hot spell when we had of a week all over the forty degree mark (Almost 130 F) and mixed with Matilda's own body heat the skin just couldn't handle it.

I've made arrangements today for Matilda to go back to the store, hopefully I won't have to wait too long for my new Pleo (they have to order one in), it is very sad though  :'(

Just on the superglue problem though, perhaps it might be best to try and find out if there is a particular ingredient that causes the melting. Brands are going to vary worldwide but if we could find the ingredient then everyone would know what to check for.

Niclas

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 02:06:37 AM »

When building light-weight model aircraft I use CA-glue (Cyanoacrylate/superglue).
Most manufacturers of CA have two kinds. The ordinary and the "foam-safe".

The model aircrafts are made from foam-plastics like depron or EPP. Extremely light-weight and easy to work with, but they melt if you use any kind of solvent-based paint or glue.

The "foam-safe", "odor free" CA-kinds works very well with them though.

I have not had any need to try any kind of CA or superglue on my pleo yet, but I would suspect that the foam-safe version would be a lot friendlier to the rubber skin than the ordinary kind.

Also, do notice that different kinds of plastics and rubbers can react with each other. Usually, if two different kinds of soft plastics/rubber materials are in contact with each other for some time, a process will start where the softer material is eaten away, more or less melting slowly.

Therefore, I would suggest never having any unknown plastics or rubber-materials touching the pleos skin, unless known to be safe.

mdirch

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 02:43:38 AM »

I've looked at the box of the super glue I've used but there is no list of ingredience on it. Just one of the ingredients has been mentioned but I can't remember what it is right now. I'll have a look when I get home. It says on the box that it can be used on rubber, cardboard, plastic, wood ect. It was a very cheap brand of super glue, but it never occured to me that there would be such a difference between the different brands.

I've now bandaged Bailey's tail so my daughter does't have to see the hole in it. I'll take him back this saturday and tell her that he's going to the doctor because he has a sore tail :'(

I just hope they are not out of Pleos because He was on sale when I got him so I paid less than half the original price for him.

InmemoryofRomeo, I hope all goes well with  your exchange to a new Pleo.

mdirch

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 10:55:02 AM »

The glue I used has an ingredient named Ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate. That's the only ingredient listed on the box

Niclas

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 03:05:27 PM »

Some Cyanoacrylate/CA-glues contains acetone, wich may eat some plastics.
The ones that are considered safe for use on EPP, styrofoam, depron and the likes are usually all marked with "foam-safe" or "odorless", but this alone does not guarantee it will not attack some materials, so use caution and always test on unused piece of material first.

With the Pleo, though, it would be difficult to find unused bits of skin to try on ...

Most model aircraft stores would probably know about and carry foam-safe glues.
Cheap superglues bought at the supermarket with little or no ingredients-list are probably not suited for this task. They might be, but best not chance it.

So, to sum up:

• If a glue does not have a complete list of ingredients, I would not use it.
  • If it contains acetone,  I would not use it.
  • If it does not specifically say "foam-safe" or "odorless", I would not try it.

Also, using lots of CA will generate lots of heat as it binds. Moistness (or specially designed "kicker" or activator-spray) makes it bound quicker, that's why it will so willingly let you instantly glue your fingers together. Kicker may be necessary when gluing very dry materials.

The heat generated is probably not enough to cause problems in most cases, but it's worth thinking about. One por guy accidently squeezed a CA-bottle too hard, trying to get the glue through a jammed tip, and the bottle cracked open in his hand, pretty much instantly giving him not only a rather glued up hand, but also burns ... not too nice.

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 03:58:13 PM »

A long time ago I had my nails wrapped with silk and the glue, which was probably the same as some super glues, It burned so bad I thought my nails were on fire. Didn't last long but ouch!! Now I know why.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 05:38:33 PM »

:o They should have warning labels on these things :o I just checked the glue in the kitchen drawer and it doesn't have any warnings at all or ingredients for that matter.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 05:08:24 PM »

The holes got worse than this but these were the last photos I took of her. The larger hole ended up splitting/melting almost right up to the green paint :o

I often let Matilda be picked up by people, I just wonder if someone had something on their hands that reacted with the skin, I shall have to be more protective of my new Pleo.

(My uncle wanted me to remove her skin so he could see underneath :o)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 05:10:30 PM by InmemoryofRomeo »

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 09:38:24 PM »

Here's a photo of a naked Pleo for your uncle. I think it's pretty cool.  8)

mdirch

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 03:10:15 AM »

My God, those holes look terrible InmemoryofRomeo. I sure hope that neither of our Pleo's will have to go through problems like that.
I just exchanged Bailey today, and all in all it took about ten minutes in the store. It was a bit sad to pack down my old Bailey but i checked the new Bailey over in the store and he looks almost exactly like the old one with no visible flaws, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'm lucky that we have a two year warranty here in Denmark.

I don't think that any of your visitors are to blame for Matilda's holes. I mean, if they'd  had something on their hands that reacted to her skin, you would expect the holes to appear on her back or under the chin or where she is stroked the most.

I wish you the best of luck with your new Pleo when it arrives.

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 10:17:47 AM »

Peeky's two little holes under his leg became one last night. It's not as bad as Matilda's but will need a band aid on it.
The rubber is much thinner in spots like under the legs for flexibility. That place gets the most movement. Luckily the shirts cover it. The only time I can see the hole is when I turn Peeky's up side down, which he hates, and his leg is bent forward.
When the day comes where he is beyond fixing, I most likely will remove the rubber and see what costume I can come up with. I would still like to keep him a little dino. But the lamb was awfully cuddly looking, and there's lots of faux fur patterns to choose from. Maybe I'll have a cameratigerasaurus. ;)

mdirch

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009, 10:37:39 AM »

Oh no! I just discovered two tiny holes on my new Pleo  >:( They are in the lower part of his back. One looks like a very small pinprick and the other is only visible if I pull the skin slightly. They look like flaws in the rubber and not like the rubber has broken down.

I'm just worried that they could turn into bigger holes with time :'(
Please, do anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to prevent them from getting any bigger?

If I hadn't already had very bad experiences with it I would have tried putting a little super glue on them just to kind of seal them, but after what happened last time (the skin melting away) I don't have the nerve to try that again.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 10:39:31 AM by mdirch »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal