Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image from Pleos Nose  (Read 5852 times)

MannyNZ

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • Male
Image from Pleos Nose
« on: December 30, 2010, 04:05:25 PM »

HI,

since there are some coders out here, workint with and on pleo, I'd like to hear your opinions.

Has anyone managed to get Pleopatra working properly yet? http://www.dfki.de/pleopatra/

For my experience so far, it always gets a frozen when i try to get the picture from pleos nose-camera.

I think that might happen because of the "cat" command that it sends the data in binary, and pleo-monitor
tries to interpret that as a command.

So i'm looking forward to hearing your experiences.

So int,
Manny

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

PleoPet

• Pleontologist
  • Female
Re: Image from Pleos Nose
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 09:21:37 AM »

DISCLAIMER: I only briefly tested Pleopatra (but don't recall testing the camera)

Can you see the camera image in DINO-Mite ?
The "cat" command is a poor way to transfer images. As you notice the serial/USB terminal is designed for text not binary.
I've tried that before and it never reliably transferred images.

The best approach is to use OBEX. This is a binary protocol that is supported by PLEO using the USB port.
This is also the fastest transfer approach (although the camera capture time is the real bottleneck - at least in pre-RB PLEOs)
(NOTE: OBEX is not supported if you connect to the serial port connector directly)

MannyNZ

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 08:34:38 AM »

Could you try testing the camera with it  some day? Would be interested.

Well as far as i know, dino-mite just stores the image on either drive (internal, SD) but doesnt transfer it as well.
The same result can be achieved by using a terminal and the Pleo Monitor, so dino-mite didnt help much.

The reason i'm asking, is only cos i want to get confirmed, that the pleopatra tool doesn't work with that image capturing.

The OBEX approch is an interesting way, but I need Pleo to be moving, so not a real option as well.

Like i said, I just wanted another source that confirms of pleopatra works with that picture taking or if im too dumb to get it work ;)
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

PleoPet

• Pleontologist
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 12:51:41 PM »

Just tested it again, and the basic functionality appears to work, but the camera capture is very unreliable (which jives with my original tests IIRC).
I can sometimes get a partial capture, but the data is scrambled (probably due to the 'cat'). Often it just hangs, and sometimes gives JAVA exceptions.
See beta note below.

BTW: I am using the USB serial. If you are using the hardware serial, you may have other problems (transfering at 115200 baud can drop data).
Even in ideal situation, the camera capture to SD feature has been unreliable in my experience.
It starts by capturing the image in the head processor and saving it to SRAM (in the head).
The slow part is when it transfers to the body processor.
Then finally it saves the 76KB file to the SD card (or the internal flash).

TIP: Be sure the battery is fully charged.
TIP: Try changing the code to save the image on the internal flash (B: drive). It removes the unreliability of writing to the SD card (or test out for more reliable SD cards).

Good luck.

From the Pleopatra README (version 0.01beta -- remember it is a BETA)

KNOWN ISSUES...
Pleopatra Tools is at the moment not very stable....
There seem to be some factors that influence (i.e. mess up) the capturing
of photos. One might be the battery level, but I am not sure about that.
If capturing of a photo fails, the whole GUI crashes. 

MannyNZ

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 05:16:05 PM »

Thanks man,

didn't see, (or jsut forgot about it again ^^ ) that beta-note.

So I just confirmed a known bug. For some reason I didn't even get any picture taken in Pleopatra via the USB cable.
Saving it on the SD or internal flash, already worked ... so I guess its really related to the Problem of transfering the data with 'cat'.

You mentiond, you had sometimes a lucky shot and Pleopatra didn't crahs but gave you a messed up picture...
Can you post an example of it, what it looks like?

thx Manny
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal