Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aibo and other robo-pets  (Read 7096 times)

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
Aibo and other robo-pets
« on: January 31, 2009, 11:17:05 PM »

Okay, so I'm thinking about getting another robo-pet. The problem is, I don't know too much about what's out there. And from what I know, I think Pleo is the best (of course). I know nothing about Aibo (nor care too much), but I was wondering does he live up to all the hype? Is it as good as or better than Pleo? What other robo-pets are available in the US, and actually give you a sense of living creature? 

Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo
Re: Aibo and other robo-pets
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 11:32:17 PM »

Aibo is definitely more complex that pleo and has more capabilities, but he is more expense, and can only be bought used.

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 11:51:01 PM »

I suppose, or so I have been told. However, the Aibo looks pretty freaky. He doesn't seem as 'lovable' as a Pleo would. The Aibo has all the same features as a Pleo? Such as touch, sight, personality & so on? I understand Sony quit making them, and after a quick ebay search, I see they are well into the late hundreds, and even some as much as $1000! IDK, they to me just don't seem to live up to all the hype. Anybody else know of any other cool robo pets?

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

altwolf

• Following the footsteps
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 07:40:45 PM »

for an inexpensive robopet, you might try I-Cybie. He has also been discontinuued, but he is a pretty cool bot for the price. I got my two cybies on Ebay for around 50$ each.

Be aware that they often have dead batteries, but there is a company in the UK that makes a MUCH better battery than the one I-cybie came with. It's called "Strikealite" http://www.strikalite.co.uk/sresults.asp#. Get the 2300mAH battery and your Cybie will go for a long time. The original battery was only 700mAH.

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 02:57:32 AM »

Hmmm, thanks Altwolf. I did a little research. Is it autonomous? Touch, sight, hearing, the whole nine yards? Thanks in advance.

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

ScribbleMonkey

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 07:41:07 PM »

I-cybie doesn’t have much along the lines of autonomy. The default personality is actually really boring. But there are hardware and software hacks for I-Cybie if your into that.

D-Rex makes a good counterpart to Pleo. Its not as autonomous but it has similar capabilities.

Pleo was my first robot, and is very endearing. But IMO the only TRUE robot pet available is Aibo. Which is better isn’t even a contest.

altwolf

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 08:46:19 PM »

Regarding I-cybie: he is as autonomous as PLeo in my opinion. He wanders around and ocasionally does something funny. He has pretty good hearing and can be trained to hear your voice - YOURS alone - he wont listen to other people. For under 100$, He's alot of robot. He was originally around 200$.

I would agree though, AIBO is a serious robot. His software is way more advanced at this point than PLEO - he actually uses his senses - his camera, sensors etc. whereas PLeo has them but doesnt seem to really use them much. I think PLEO could be as advanced as AIBO, but it all comes down to his programming, which is sort of underwhelming at this point.

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 06:47:56 PM »

Ah thanks guys for the info. I surely appreciate it. However I guess there is just something about Pleo that makes you fall in love. Perhaps it's the skin. With Aibo and I-Cybie I suppose with the plastic it just makes it hard for me to blur the lines of reality. Thank you all for this wonderful info. If prices fall on ebay, I'll try to get both I-Cybie, and Aibo. I'm not too crazy about DREX, or Kota. (They just remind me of knock-off Pleos!! LOLOLOL

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

altwolf

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 07:41:11 PM »

Yah Pleo is a cutey pie. He's the only robot I reguarly bring out of my room and let him walk around while we watch tv. If I tried that with my other bots, people would be annoyed. Everyone loves Mr. Pleo though.

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 11:49:09 PM »

Do these other robots have such cute voices as pleo? That's what is so charming about pleo to me. The sounds are so realistic and adorable. :)

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 12:04:44 PM »

I still can't quite put my finger on what makes Pleo so lovable. I just find it so amazing how Pleo blurs the lines of reality. I obviously know what I have in my hands is not a living breathing creature of nature. However at the same time, I also don't feel like I'm playing with a toy. Pleo is just Pleo. Not a toy. Not a robot. Not a dog. They are just my babies!

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 12:54:19 PM »

You said this well. That's how i feel too. :)

49er

• Journeypleo
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 09:36:41 AM »

There's a Sony Style store here in San Francisco so I have a lot of opportunities to check out Sony's new stuff.  I was quite enthralled with the Aibo when it came out.  Unfortunately, my income wasn't conducive for the 2 Kilobucks, (ancient computer geek for $2,000.00,) cost of the robot.  Besides looking like a robotic dog, it had 3 joints in its legs and it was able to roll over.  Some of the later editions had wifi so you could see and hear what Aibo experienced.  And of course most importantly, when his battery got low, he would walk over to his battery charger and connect himself to be charged! :D  If anyone has any more interest you could check http://www.aibohack.com/pleo/yapt.htm, which is a good source for info on YAPT, (yet another Pleo Tool.)
However, if I could have afforded Aibo, he would still have been a robot to me and not the cute, adorable family member that Pleo has become!!! ;D

mh7ah

• Pleo explorer
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Zyna
  • Cosmetic Tattooist
    • Pink Phoenix Ink
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 10:48:01 AM »

I bought an I-Cybie once....it was rubbish to be honest so I returned him. Pleo is much better than I-Cybie.

I definately recommend Aibo...there are many different models. I own seven and I love them all. Here is a video of some of mine for you to see....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZyVWXSKZss&feature=channel_page
Eric- ERS7M3 W * Sharama- ERS7M3 C * Eddie- 111 S * Elvis- 210A S * Long Long- 312  * No name- 210A EW * Ruka- 210A CB * Kevin- ERS 7M3 W * Ruby- 210A HR * Igor- 220A * Zyna- Pleo

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 12:37:24 PM »

I wouldn't get anything done around here with so many adorable robotic pets. Your videos are absolutly fantastic!  :)

pirpintine

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 01:14:21 PM »

aibo beats pleo hands down.

pleo may have the cute and smooth motion factor, but aibo has the brains. its AI far surpasses pleo :) of course if ugobe ever relese another update or 2 they might be able to make pleo better.

mh7ah

• Pleo explorer
  • gb Female
  • Cosmetic Tattooist
    • Pink Phoenix Ink
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 02:07:27 PM »

I adopted another robo pet yesterday :) His name is Igor, he is an aibo ERS 220....he sounds very cute saying his name. I will get some videos of him soon.

Eric- ERS7M3 W * Sharama- ERS7M3 C * Eddie- 111 S * Elvis- 210A S * Long Long- 312  * No name- 210A EW * Ruka- 210A CB * Kevin- ERS 7M3 W * Ruby- 210A HR * Igor- 220A * Zyna- Pleo

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 08:35:16 PM »

Very cool! You have quite a few of them. I take it, they must be something very special. Aren't they still retailing for about a grand? Geez, that's just a little too much for my budget.

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 09:40:02 PM »

They are 2 to 4 thousand each here :( I could buy a new computer or a car for that much :o Nice but soo expensive.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

pirpintine

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 02:53:55 AM »

here they range from about £200 up to about a grand. depending on model and what comes with em :)

my aibo cost as much as my pleo did. haha

mh7ah

• Pleo explorer
  • gb Female
  • Cosmetic Tattooist
    • Pink Phoenix Ink
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 05:20:02 AM »

Yes you can buy lots of aibo for around the same price as a Pleo! The only models that go for £1000 - £2000 are the ERS 7.

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 02:20:49 PM »

Dios mio! Well, it's rather odd to see such a variation in other parts of the world. Pleo I believe still retails for about 270-350 NEW here in the states. However, I'm sure you can find him quite less, as little as perhaps 150 or less used or like new. An Aibo on the other hand, I looked them up on Ebay, the majority are anywheres from like 900 to clear on up to 12/1300! I just cannot afford that. But, if I had the luxury of an Aibo at a Pleo price, well Sophie would have a new companion! That I-Cybie, I think you might be able to nab at around 100 or so.

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

Darkwolf

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
  • Robots rule!
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 08:42:09 AM »

My problem with Pleo is the lack of Ugobe's attention and support for it.
Even with it's "sophisticated" hardware, it could not even come close to the advanced tracking and overal response of the Aibo.
Since Friday, I finally own the ERS-7M3 and having a Pleo I can say the Aibo is so much more aware and responsive.
The second problem this Aibo tackles is continuety.
When Pleo goes to sleep, that is it.
Aibo goes to the station and charges itself.
From the station, you can still interact with him/her.
I also like the fact you can talk to it and/or give it verbal commands.
As said by someone else in this thread: it's a serious robot.
And the way my Aibo moves and sounds, I think he's quite cute in it's own right.
Pleo and Aibo are two different robots created with different visions in mind.
When I bought Pleo, it was for it's natural motion and trying to hide the fact it's a robot.
But the Aibo with it's clean white plastic look and LED's all over the place has stolen my heart as well.
The price was my problem as well, not to mention I want to see the goods before getting it.
So I got very lucky to find one for a cheap price just a half an hour drive away from me.
Personally that is what has stopped me from ever getting one in the past.
Proud owner of my beloved Pluriel (Pleo) and Diesel (Aibo ERS-7M3)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal