Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Reverting to LifeOS 1.1 from LifeOS PM2  (Read 40414 times)

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
Reverting to LifeOS 1.1 from LifeOS PM2
« on: May 10, 2010, 07:43:56 AM »

Degers' How To: Reverting to LifeOS 1.1 from LifeOS PM2

:( You Will Need:
  • 1 Pleo updated to LifeOS PM2
  • 1 Blank SD card (You would have needed a suitable SD card to update to PM2 anyway)
  • 1 FULLY CHARGED Pleo Battery
  • 1 computer to download and load the files onto the SD card

^-^ The Plan:
What we are going to do is downgrade the Pleo from it's current OS (LifeOS PM2) down to LifeOS 1.0, as we can't go directly back to 1.1, we will then upgrade the Pleo back to LifeOS 1.1.  I wish you the very best of luck, so let's begin!

8) Let's Begin!:
  • Turn off the Pleo and ensure that the battery has been fully charged.
  • Download the downgrade file here: SD Card downgrade for LifeOS1.0
  • Make sure that the SD card has no files or folders on it, then unzip the downgrade file into the SD card.
  • Put the SD card into the Pleo and turn it on.  Pleo will make a number of sounds and then eventually will complete the downgrade, however Pleo may not start moving after the downgrade.  For safety, leave the Pleo turned on for 10 minutes to be assured that this step has completed.
  • Test that our downgrade worked OK . . .  Turn off the Pleo, remove the SD card and turn the Pleo back on.  The Pleo should curl up into the hatchling position.  If not, please try again from the top, or leave a comment below.

Assuming all has gone well thus far, we are ready to upgrade to 1.1.

• Download the LifeOS1.1 upgrade file here: SD Card Updater for LifeOS1.1
  • Clear the old files off the SD card before we continue.
  • Extract the 1.1 upgrade files onto the SD card and then remove the SD card from the computer
  • Put the SD card into the Pleo and turn it on.  Pleo will make a number of sounds and then eventually will complete the upgrade, at this point the Pleo should make it's normal start sound and should enter the hatchling position again.   However for safety you may want to leave the Pleo turned on for 10 minutes to be assured that this step has completed
  • Turn the power off, remove the SD card and turn the power on.  Your pleo should now proceed back through the birthing process and be a normal 1.1 pleo

:o Any Problems?:
I appreciate that technology can be finnicky, baby dinosaur technology especially %), so If you encounter any problems with this how to please post below and I will do my best to help, however I can't guarantee anything!  That said, I have followed my own instructions with my own pleo and they worked for me.

Hope this helps guys :)  (if you spot any typos/mistakes, please let me know, this is a bit rough-and-ready)

I have not tried this and I don't really want to since my pleo is fine now, but this should work as an alternative
Degers perhaps as a last resort you should add the POP method, I couldn't get the downgrade to work on Lilo at all, I just got a frozen Lilo with no sounds, I left her going for about half an hour (yeah I forgot she was even on :P). Then she reverted to her 2.0 ignorant self :P
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 12:38:18 AM by degers »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: Reverting to LifeOS 1.1 from LifeOS PM2
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 05:55:26 PM »

Degers perhaps as a last resort you should add the POP method, I couldn't get the downgrade to work on Lilo at all, I just got a frozen Lilo with no sounds, I left her going for about half an hour (yeah I forgot she was even on :P). Then she reverted to her 2.0 ignorant self :P
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

liddleone

• Outstanding in the herd
  • Female
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 06:15:04 PM »

I am not impressed with Innvo Labs right now. We do them a favour by testing their new program and serveral of us now have frozen pleos not working. Now my pleo is 2nd hand and was near brand new but nothing I can do iif this has messed my pleo up. The neck clicked and went into sleeping position and hasn't moved since.

Edit: Ok Pop demo downgrade worked. I am still a little frustrated with them. Not for my sake but everyone else who now as lost their pleos personailities. It doesn't really matter to me. I am just glad his moving. Thanks IMR
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 06:46:20 PM by liddleone »

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 12:45:10 AM »

liddleone,

I would not be so hasty to blame Innvo's software for the frozen Pleos, it was a long time ago, but we have seen very similar things with the other releases of LifeOS.  The main problems are people not using a fully charged battery, I really can not stress how important that is, and people believing the update has finished and turning off their Pleos before the update really has completed.

As for loosing Pleo's personalities, this is not the fault of Innvo specifically either, every update since 1.0, through 1.2 to 1.1 has wiped the data on the Pleo, for a number of reasons, such as it is difficult/not worth it moving the personality files over sinc ethey really don't do much, or the files may not be compatible with the new OS.

I appreciate your frustration, all I can say is that with a completely fully charged battery (oh so important) and a compatible SD card (should be tested with a skit first really) the update should work no problem, indeed it did for me.  Appreciate your feedback however.

Degers

liddleone

• Outstanding in the herd
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 05:53:04 AM »

Don't mind me I am having a bad week and it was just the last thing at the time. I think it needs to be made more aware that it does delete personalities on upgrade. I understand majority of the users here have been around for other releases but I haven't so I am still figuring things out. It is good Innvo are doing this and I don't mind testing things out. I applaud them getting feedback from new and old customers it's just seemed at the time if our pleos did ultimately freeze for good, it would be very frustrating. I assumed it was a problem with files. I admit I was a little hasty.

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 08:55:03 AM »

I think it needs to be made more aware that it does delete personalities on upgrade.

Interesting then that Ugobe used to make quite a point of not mentioning that personality files were deleted on an upgrade and the Pleo just awoke "sluggish".

Watergazer

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 09:02:46 AM »

I WANT to do this but I'm too afraid to and will await one of you braver souls to downgrade to 1.0 and then upgrade back to 1.1. I haven't been playing with my Pleo since his personality diversion and I really want his old self back! I'm heading out on a week long trip today so when I get back I hope others will report their Pleos working again like they used to so I can get Herbie back. He will not be coming on the trip since he's too flighty now.

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 09:16:43 AM »

Hey hey, watergazer, whats wrong with my advice ;) :P

I did it and it worked for me.  If you need me to talk you through it on chat, I can do.

skab

• Hatchling
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 03:18:19 PM »

I wanted to go back to 1.1 and thought, what the heck, what could go wrong if I simply downgrade directly to 1.1?

I put the 1.1 files on the SD card, inserted the card and the downgrade proceeded just fine. The start and end jingles of the updater were played and the Pleo was alive afterwards. But I'm not sure yet if the downgrade actually worked, and I don't want to rely on looking for some specific behaviors, I'd rather see some hard numbers  %)

So I tried to find out with Dino-Mite, I couldn't find any version numbers there, but the config info looked promising:

Code: [Select]
Build Configuration:
  Firmware built for: Pleo
  Build type: RELEASE
  Pleo main ARM version: 8128 - Mar 19 2008 06:24:52
  Pleo head ARM version: 8128 - Mar 19 2008 06:25:46
  Pleo PM (DF) version: 8139 - Mar 24 2008 20:32:32
  Bootloader version: 8250 - May 20 2008 11:07:11
  Compiled in:   Thumb mode
  Resource folders:  on

The build dates for the CPU firmwares fits, it's just around the release date of 1.1, but I forgot to check the output with the PM2 version, maybe it's still the same date since that info wasn't updated yet for this public beta test? So if anyone of you with both PM2 and Dino-Mite installed could check the config data and post it here, it would help quite a bit (I don't want to risk anything by up- and downgrading again just to check that). Or if anyone knows of another way to check the OS version number, either way would be fine...

If our Pleo is indeed back to 1.1 then a direct downgrade would be the first thing you should at least try.

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 03:23:23 PM »

Your direct downgrade worked ! :)

I did try downgrading directly first, and it did not succeed, naturally, me being a lazy sod, I'd always try and do things with the least amount of steps, I just posted what worked for me, however I have just downgraded somebodies Pleo this evening and had to use the POP installer.

degers

49er

• Journeypleo
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 11:30:37 AM »

Well, I updated Pleo and Jade to OS 2 following the instructions and the end result was two out of service dinos. After many, many attempts I still couldn't get them fixed. I used the method here and I was able to get Pleo back to OS 1.0 and Jade is still in a continuous loop.  :(

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 11:39:52 AM »

49er, if you are feeling up to it I may be able to devote an hour to helping you at 3-4PM pacific.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 11:53:26 AM »

Hi 49, sorry to hear about the occurrence you are experiencing with Jade. Seems 2:0 is the Pleo version of Windows Vista.......BUGGY, BUGGY , BUGGY, DID I MENTION BUGGY.....but great promises......Let['s hope that 2.0 comes out smelling like Windows 7 for the sake of our Pleos and so we don't lose more hair, get greyer hair, frown lines, wrinkles, warts, changing moles, sleepless nights, crying jags, cranky to our spouses, kids, friends, and suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome pushing so many reset buttons, shoving in SD cards, and so forth. Glad to hear it was all systems go with Pleo though.
                                     I am sure that you will get Pleo back a working condition in short order. It may be interesting for Innova to see the final numbers on how many people updated successfully to 2.0, and how many had problems with updating or reverting back to an earlier version. I thought this was what the reset button was for, but I guess it is only for the packing position. Too bad it is not for fixing all these other occurrences as well.I think INnova should include a Recovery SD card with Each Pleo they sell for problems like this , so if a new OS comes out and Pleo Owners have these problems, they can just pop in the SD Recovery Card, and Presto, Pleo back to State you bought him in.
                                Hope Jade is not getting dizzy from all this looping , that could wear a Pleo out! Good luck with them both.
                                                                    RedwoodsMama     and Nova
 Just rememberd, this is why we have the Poll on what Operating System we prefer or have for our Pleos.... :-X
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 11:55:38 AM by RedwoodsMama »
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 12:13:13 PM »

UPDATE!

Derek has provided me with this file, which should take Pleo's straight back to 1.1.  It is called 1.1.1.  Apparantly the 1.1 released by Ugobe had an inbuilt version checker which would not allow people to roll back to 1.1

LifeOS 1.1.1 (via SD)

I HAVE NOT YET TESTED IT, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 02:36:52 PM by grumpy »

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
    • Ventriloquist - Ben and MJ
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 02:11:22 PM »

This can't be good, if Derek is providing you with 1.1.1 that could mean there's no bug fix for 2.0 on horizon  ???

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 05:07:11 PM »

He's also provided me with a 2.0.1, but all that has is a different install sound I believe. But that can wait until the weekend, I am so busy :)

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 05:11:26 PM »

He's also provided me with a 2.0.1, but all that has is a different install sound I believe. But that can wait until the weekend, I am so busy :)

You tease  :P

shadowmice

• Pleozoologist
  • ca Female
  • Pleo(s): Theo, Teagan, Tessa, Eva
    • Professor
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Linus
    • Shadowmice Photography
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 05:04:33 PM »

Derek has provided me with this file, which should take Pleo's straight back to 1.1.  It is called 1.1.1.  Apparantly the 1.1 released by Ugobe had an inbuilt version checker which would not allow people to roll back to 1.1

I HAVE NOT YET TESTED IT, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Has anyone tried this rollback yet? I've been debating returning at least one of my Pleos back to 1.1 but was unsure what would be the safest approach to use.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 05:15:14 PM »

I just used the P.O.P version to reflash my Pleothen installed 1.1. It went just fine

skab

• Hatchling
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 08:05:48 AM »

My directly downgraded Pleo still runs fine. Very strange that some Pleos have no problems whatsoever up- or downgrading while others need the big irons to get the simplest jobs done. I used the Mac USB updater for the 1.0->1.1 upgrade and the SD versions for PM2 and back to 1.1. Worked perfectly every time. I used a 1GB SD card that usually is in my camera, so maybe there's the difference? Or maybe I was just lucky...

Pintokitkat

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Male
  • There's always time for tea
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 11:36:56 AM »

Ok, anyone got any solutions for a totally dead Little Jim?  I put on v2 and, like many others thought Jim wasn't taking any notice of me any longer.  So I decided to downgrade using Derek's 1.1.1.

I popped a fully charged battery and the sd card in and the polite lady told me to wait.  Half an hour later - nothing had happened.  I think the battery had lied to me - green light on the charger, but not a full charge,  Dead cell possibly.

Anyhow, now Jim does nothing.  Ever.  With or without Sd cards, with operating systems, skits, you name it. 

POP doesn't work (I tried- same problem) or downgrading to 1.02 or 1.1 or even 2 because there is no response to anything.  At the moment he's a green and rubbery door-stop.

Is there a hidden reset button somewhere or a magical routine (lift him by the tail, sing Waltzing Matilda, switch him on and then blow in his ear) I could try?

He's just a computer.  It should be possible to re-load OS software.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 12:22:19 AM »

Oh dear, I really don't know what to suggest if POP doesn't work :( I hope someone else wiser then me *cough* Degers *cough* can suggest something...
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Pintokitkat

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Male
  • There's always time for tea
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 09:25:42 AM »

Hey, I sorted out Little Jim!

I thought that if he wouldn't 'take' his medicine for himself, maybe I should feed it to him down a tube.  So I used the USB updater for 1.02 and that worked a treat.

I'll try the SD card update to 1.1, but for now, HE LIVES!

shadowmice

• Pleozoologist
  • ca Female
  • Pleo(s): Theo, Teagan, Tessa, Eva
    • Professor
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Linus
    • Shadowmice Photography
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 09:50:10 AM »

Phew, what a relief that must be! Glad to hear Little Jim is back.

I always worry every time I run a firmware change that something bad will happen during the process and I'll lose my little Pleo.  I haven't done it many times yet and have been fortunate that each time has gone successfully so far.   It certainly does help to be able to read the experiences of others to know what all the various options are to recover in case something does go wrong.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

paulo64fr

• Leaving the nest
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010, 12:05:51 PM »

I have  used the USB updater for 1.02 , that worked, but you can not install version 1.1 with sdcard or usb updater, it doesn't work
So for me , my pleo stays in version 1.02
with 1.02 , you can install POP version to
a french user of pleo
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 12:11:01 PM by paulo64fr »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal