Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: read/write pictures  (Read 5391 times)

j43

• Leaving the nest
  • Male
read/write pictures
« on: April 13, 2010, 03:44:58 PM »

hey guys,

i'm controlling pleo by sending comands to him in the matlab programming language. i'm trying to make a gui that has buttons that allows the user to control pleo. basically, i have the buttons down, so right now the user can make pleo move however they would like. i'd really like to add some kind of video feedback though. i remember reading somewhere that pleo has a command to take a picture and save it to his sd card. would it be possible to keep taking those pictures and reading them off the card, so it would look like a choppy video? does anyone know the commands to do this kind of thing?

thanks,
j43

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
Re: read/write pictures
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 04:34:44 PM »

I do not believe it would be possible without quite a lot of modification.  The data rate between the head CPU, which controls the camera, and the body CPU, which controls the Serial output/USB output and SD card is just to slow to allow this.  You might be able to get pleo to save a photo every minute or so and then use the CAT command to read the file down the serial connection over the terminal, then just do this every minute.

You will need to wait for someone who knows more than me ;)

j43

• Leaving the nest
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 05:55:51 PM »

thanks for the reply,

slowness would be okay, i just have no idea how to do it. could you please tell me the commands?

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 11:34:49 AM »

Not sure of the commands, but I agree with degers.  Taking a picture and saving it to the SD card pretty much takes all of Pleo's CPU power for several seconds.  So, if you have pleo moving and you take a picture, you can expect the pleo's movements to stop or be rather jerky while the picture is being taken.  Now, you might want to consider just setting up a button to take a snapshot and display it, rather than having pictures taken on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 11:37:13 AM by mweed »

j43

• Leaving the nest
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 03:18:40 PM »

a button is definitely a good idea; i think i'll do that. now i just need the commands. does anyone know them and/or know where i could find them? the pdk doesn't seem to cover this sort of thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal